• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

Yamaha Cover - Ratchet Strap Repair Question

TimeOnTheWater07

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi all.

I have a ’21 SX190 with the Yamaha/Outer Armor/Commercial Sewing non-tower cover. On my last time out, while ratcheting the cover, the starboard side strap that attaches to the ratchet broke. The loop that attaches the short, 18”, section of vinyl strap broke at the ratchet end. Has anyone else fixed this before and if so, what did you do? I’ve been searching for sewing parts or some sort of material clamp where I could attach a new loop of 1” vinyl strap to the ratchet. I was also thinking of changing the attachment point to using a bolt/sleeve through the end holes instead of the bar, which clearly cut into the loop over time and use.
IMG_4975.jpg IMG_4988_edited.jpeg

I did submit a question to Commercial Sewing. They replied back with 2 options of me shipping the cover back to them so they could sew in a new strap, or shipping a strap to a local upholstery shop. I’m in metro Detroit, so I asked them for a recommendation but they don’t offer suggestions. Shipping the cover to/from may be cost prohibitive and I'm not familiar with a local upholstery shop. If anyone in the metro Detroit area has one to recommend, I'll check them out.

The cover is still in good shape so I’d rather repair than replace, as cheaply as possible.

Also, anyone else have a fix where the ratchets don’t release and require force to unwind/release the tension? I still need to try adding some grease or some sort of lube.

Thanks!

Hi all.

I have a ’21 SX190 with the Yamaha/Outer Armor/Commercial Sewing non-tower cover. On my last time out, while ratcheting the cover, the starboard side strap that attaches to the ratchet broke. The loop that attaches the short, 18”, section of vinyl strap broke at the ratchet end. Has anyone else fixed this before and if so, what did you do? I’ve been searching for sewing parts or some sort of material clamp where I could attach a new loop of 1” vinyl strap to the ratchet. I was also thinking of changing the attachment point to using a bolt/sleeve through the end holes instead of the bar, which clearly cut into the loop over time and use.
View attachment 224904 View attachment 224905

I did submit a question to Commercial Sewing. They replied back with 2 options of me shipping the cover back to them so they could sew in a new strap, or shipping a strap to a local upholstery shop. I’m in metro Detroit, so I asked them for a recommendation but they don’t offer suggestions. Shipping the cover to/from may be cost prohibitive and I'm not familiar with a local upholstery shop. If anyone in the metro Detroit area has one to recommend, I'll check them out.

The cover is still in good shape so I’d rather repair than replace, as cheaply as possible.

Also, anyone else have a fix where the ratchets don’t release and require force to unwind/release the tension? I still need to try adding some grease or some sort of lube.

Thanks!

I don't have any suggestions for replacement or placement of that, but this is regarding your sticking ratchets. Get some CRC 656 and spray the ratchets down periodically. Those ratchets may be stainless, but the springs and ratchet wheels and other assorted parts don't seem to be, at least on mine. The anti-corrosion spray I mentioned has worked so well on these that stay out in the rain or at least in the elements, that I have taken to spraying it on my other ratchet straps when the thought hits me.

It's not a perfect solution, but it will definitely help - not sure how far gone yours are, or if this will help loosen them up. Perhaps when you have them repair everything, buy new ratchets and just have them replace them both at the same time, as it sounds like you're going to have issues with the other one soon. Before giving them the ratchets, soak them in some of the 656 for a few hours, pull them out, and let them dry off and hit them with the air compressor to blow off the excess. This way, you can start from scratch with your repaired straps, and when things start to feel "gritty", it'll be your reminder to spray them down and work them a bit to get the 656 into the nooks and crannies.

I don't have any suggestions for replacement or placement of that, but this is regarding your sticking ratchets. Get some CRC 656 and spray the ratchets down periodically. Those ratchets may be stainless, but the springs and ratchet wheels and other assorted parts don't seem to be, at least on mine. The anti-corrosion spray I mentioned has worked so well on these that stay out in the rain or at least in the elements, that I have taken to spraying it on my other ratchet straps when the thought hits me.

It's not a perfect solution, but it will definitely help - not sure how far gone yours are, or if this will help loosen them up. Perhaps when you have them repair everything, buy new ratchets and just have them replace them both at the same time, as it sounds like you're going to have issues with the other one soon. Before giving them the ratchets, soak them in some of the 656 for a few hours, pull them out, and let them dry off and hit them with the air compressor to blow off the excess. This way, you can start from scratch with your repaired straps, and when things start to feel "gritty", it'll be your reminder to spray them down and work them a bit to get the 656 into the nooks and crannies.
Agree with this - I put the YamaLube on them once a season and it keeps them silky smooth.

Follow-up to this post....
I submitted a question through Commercial Sewing's website and the person who responded was helpful even though my cover is outside of the warranty period.
They offered 2 options:
1. I could ship my cover to them and they would fix it for free, and ship it back. I just had to cover shipping it to them.
2. They could ship the strap/webbing material to me and I could find a local upholstery/sewing shop to fix it up.

I opted for #2, as shipping the cover seemed cost prohibitive and I have no idea what will break on it next. They Fedex'd me a year's supply of the strap. All I really needed was 2-4' of it, and they sent 1 small roll and a whole brand new one. I was surprised when the fedex notice said the package was 4lbs.

Now I'll either get the speedy stitcher, as recommended, or see if a local shop in town can knock out the sewing for a few bucks.

If you have an issue with your cover, I highly recommend reaching out to Commercial Sewing first, then explore your options.

Back