• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

YDIS for 2013 242 LS

rpm242LS

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have a 2013 242 LS and have a check engine alarm come on for the port engine. My starter battery is old and probably should be replaced so that was my first guess (engine diagnostics on the instrument cluster shows no code) but even after charging all night the alarm will still come on and its just with the port engine. I would have thought if it were the batteries I would have it happening on the starboard engine as well. I have checked the plugs, oil and basic mechanical working on the engine and found nothing. It runs great but just keeps beeping every few minutes. I'm thinking it may be the O2 sensor but I have no way of pulling the codes. I have searched for the right YDIS cable and software to get but I'm not seeing where my year boat is supported. Read through a lot of posts but I'm not seeing the info I need. Can someone point me in the right direction? Better yet if someone has one in the DFW area and is willing to help out with reading the code I'm willing to pay for their time.

Thanks for any help offered.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Glad to have you on board @rpm242LS

How long have you owned the boat ?

I can't remember that model,
1. you have the 1.8l motor ?
2. do you have a connexts info screen ?
3. do you have the warning lights on your rpm gauges, oil/temp/engine, are any of them on or flashing ?

I'm not sure if my older version YDS works on your model,
Are you on Eagle mountain lake ? if so maybe @capt could be of assistance,

If nothing else a jetski shop can read the computers for you,

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
In the model year 2013, the YDS software changed from version 1.33 for previous M/Y's up to 2012, to version 2.13 for 2013 up to?. Finding that software is like finding a unicorn. And much more expensive. A Yamaha boat or pwc dealer/shop can read faults as Scott said.

Last edited:

rpm242LS

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks for all the info. And that was what I was running into about the year of my boat vs. the software version. I was getting conflicting info about how the 1.33 software would read it.

And yes, I'm on eagle mountain lake.

I have the 1.8s
the alarm is on the bottom of my RPM gauges, just a small LED readout no other warning lights/or wording. Just check engine and when that goes away a "AL" will blink in the corner of the display.

Cycling through the menu and pulling the engine diagnostics it says no error code is present.

capt

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm close by you. But don't know how I could help. I am not familiar with the 1.8l' S and not familiar with how to hook up the yds.

Sounds like a pwc shop might be a good solution.

But if you need any help turning a wrench let me know.

rpm242LS

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Update on my check engine alarm:

I spent a few very frustrating days called around to many Yamaha repair shops local to me to ask them to read my check engine code, none would do it. I was not trying to get a freebie (I made sure they knew that) but still no joy. One shop wanted me to commit to have them keep my boat to perform any repairs needed after reading the code no matter what the issue came out to be, I found that to be absolutely crazy, it could have been only a few hundred dollars or $7000 - no one in their right mind would blindly commit to that. A few other shops only worked on Yamaha PWCs. I tried to tell them the motor is the same and they should be able to read it the exact same way (I think that's true), again no joy.

OK, now I'm done venting...
I wound up calling the dealer where I bought the boat (over 1.5 hour drive - its why I was trying to have it done locally) and they were awesome! Even though they had a backlog of 3 weeks or more they had me bring the boat in right as they opened and they read the code right there. Would not even take a payment! now here is the strange part:

The code came out to be 144 - he told me it was the throttle valve caused by low voltage. But when I look at a code sheet code 144 says its just low voltage mode. 145 is the throttle valve. I know the code was 144 because I was right there watching him pull the code. Anyway, not sure that's all that important he said it was due to low battery and that made sense to me, I had a bad battery but had changed it out a few weeks ago. The tech said the ECM (or is it ECU?) should have cleared the code after a good battery was put in but for some reason was not doing that. Also another strange thing is the ECM only read that code 3 times over 100 hrs ago, and no other codes or other occurrences after that. But my check engine alarm only just came on. Can anyone explain why this could happen?

He tried to clear the code but kept getting a "file not found" error on his laptop and the code would not clear. He told me it may be because my ECM was bad. I'm not an expert but it seems to me it may have been the way he was using the equipment vs. a bad ECM (At the start of it all after several failed reading attempts I had to tell him I thought there was only a short time from turning on the key to connecting the cable and starting the process or it would not work). So maybe he was not totally familiar with how to work everything. He suggested I swap out the other ECM with the "bad" one to see if that same error pops up. So I took the boat home and did that, no code, ran just fine.

So here are my questions:
-What would cause the ECM to trigger a low battery mode alarm 100 hrs after the occurrence??
-Can the ECM be cleared or re-flashed without being hooked to the boat?
-If so can the code be cleared or the whole thing be re-flashed with one of the tuners (like MaptunnerX)?

Last edited:

rpm242LS

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Anyone have suggestions on the three questions I had above?

What would cause the ECM to trigger a low battery mode alarm 100 hrs after the occurrence??
-If so can the code be cleared or the whole thing be re-flashed with one of the tuners (like MaptunnerX)?

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Anyone have suggestions on the three questions I had above?

What would cause the ECM to trigger a low battery mode alarm 100 hrs after the occurrence??
I do not have any experience with maptuner x. If I may defer to @swatski on that subject. I know he has used it in the past. Not sure what the issue is with your alarm, but I believe folks here have been able to clear codes by disconnecting the battery(s). Hopefully others will chime in.

rpm242LS

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I appreciate the response. I have disconnected the battery, in fact I unplugged the whole computer for over a day and that did not clear the code.

I was hoping maptuner X or some other code reader would be able to clear it or reflash it. I just don't have any experience with using them and was looking for options.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I appreciate the response. I have disconnected the battery, in fact I unplugged the whole computer for over a day and that did not clear the code.

I was hoping maptuner X or some other code reader would be able to clear it or reflash it. I just don't have any experience with using them and was looking for options.
Is the code causing the beeping alarm to go off?
I'm not clear on what are you trying to accomplish, I can confirm the Maptuner X does "clear" an overheat alarm, and it no longer beeps. I believe it is similar to the alarm thrown off due to low battery, and also the alarm that pops off when the battery switches are turned off too quickly.
I have had them all.
Whether it gets cleared from the ECU memory bank IDK. I believe it does not but I have no idea, however it does permit normal operation - it clears the CEL and cancels that crazy beeping.
Hope that helps!

--

rpm242LS

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The boat runs fine, just the beeping (chk engine alarm) goes off every few mins. The code was 144 and the only code that my engine has, I'm assuming that is what is setting the alarm off (if not then what??). The strange part was this code was over 100 hrs ago, but the alarm just now started. From what I uderstand code 144 is from a low battery. I have put in a new starter battery (other house is also new) but the alarm will not turn off. A dealer was kind enough to read the code for me and tried to clear it but he kept geting an error on his laptop, I have a feeling he was not doing it right. All i want is to get rid of alarm going off. I dont know what you mean by CEL. I dont care if its cleared from the ECU memory bank or not. I'm just trying to turn the alarm off, was under the impression the only way to do this was to clear it from the ECU or re-flash the ECU if something was messed up and the ECU would not clear the code. The dealer seemed to think i may need a new ECU because he was not able to clear the code. I'm hoping all i need to do is buy maptuner x or some equivealent and turn off the alarm.

If that code 144 is not the cause of the chk engine alarm does anyone know what could be causing it? There were never any other codes recorded when the dealer read the ECU, just the one time of code 144 about 100 hrs ago.

I can confirm that swapping the ECU from the other engine will show no alarm when running.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The boat runs fine, just the beeping (chk engine alarm) goes off every few mins. The code was 144 and the only code that my engine has, I'm assuming that is what is setting the alarm off (if not then what??). The strange part was this code was over 100 hrs ago, but the alarm just now started. From what I uderstand code 144 is from a low battery. I have put in a new starter battery (other house is also new) but the alarm will not turn off. A dealer was kind enough to read the code for me and tried to clear it but he kept geting an error on his laptop, I have a feeling he was not doing it right. All i want is to get rid of alarm going off. I dont know what you mean by CEL. I dont care if its cleared from the ECU memory bank or not. I'm just trying to turn the alarm off, was under the impression the only way to do this was to clear it from the ECU or re-flash the ECU if something was messed up and the ECU would not clear the code. The dealer seemed to think i may need a new ECU because he was not able to clear the code. I'm hoping all i need to do is buy maptuner x or some equivealent and turn off the alarm.

If that code 144 is not the cause of the chk engine alarm does anyone know what could be causing it? There were never any other codes recorded when the dealer read the ECU, just the one time of code 144 about 100 hrs ago.

I can confirm that swapping the ECU from the other engine will show no alarm when running.
Got it. The Maptuner X will clear the beeping alarm. I would think any dealer with YDS 2 should be able to do that as well.
If you run out of other options you are welcome to borrow my Maptuner X machine, however you would still need an individual license to reflash each engine/ECU. That's why the dealer option may be less expensive if they can do it.
I have had a couple (3 or 4) spurious alarms that presented with CEL (check engine light) and beeping (that can be temporarily silenced but comes back) in various settings, in my ~350hrs with the boat, and I was able to clear those with the Maptuner. In that sense the MAptuner paid for itself (in my opinion) as at least on two of those occasions with CEL popping up I was away from civilization and not even remotely close to any dealer.
Those CEL codes can be thrown by low battery or by turning the battery switches before, or too shortly after, the ignition is off, BTW.

--

rpm242LS

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks for the reply. I'm assuming it will not matter if my boat is 2013 year? Maptuner X will read/clear codes or re-flash from any year unlike YDS 1.33?
On Maptuner's website it states "PRODUCT NOT FOR USE ON POLLUTION CONTROLLED VEHICLES. " My boat is a California model, would it still work?

As far as diagnostics tools capable of reading and clearing codes I can only find Maptuner X or CANDooPro. MaptunerX being the more expensive option at ~$1K vs. $400 on the CANDooPro. Advantage of MaptunerX is it does not look like it needs to connect to a laptop to perform the read/reset. Do I have this right or am I missing another way (other than taking it back to a dealer 1.5 hrs away and wait 3 weeks to maybe or maybe not clear the code, or tell me I need a new ECM)?

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the reply. I'm assuming it will not matter if my boat is 2013 year? Maptuner X will read/clear codes or re-flash from any year unlike YDS 1.33?
On Maptuner's website it states "PRODUCT NOT FOR USE ON POLLUTION CONTROLLED VEHICLES. " My boat is a California model, would it still work?

As far as diagnostics tools capable of reading and clearing codes I can only find Maptuner X or CANDooPro. MaptunerX being the more expensive option at ~$1K vs. $400 on the CANDooPro. Advantage of MaptunerX is it does not look like it needs to connect to a laptop to perform the read/reset. Do I have this right or am I missing another way (other than taking it back to a dealer 1.5 hrs away and wait 3 weeks to maybe or maybe not clear the code, or tell me I need a new ECM)?
edit: Sorry for poor grammar and misspellings I was boarding a plane.

The Maptuner x should work on any 1.8 but the ECUs are different. There is a possibility of bricking those - if things go wrong, so I would not mess with it unless you have help. RIVA would know and if they tell you the 4 star engine ECUs are no go you maybe out of luck there.
At this point I would think I would contact the Maptuner guys directly. Last time I checked it was Jerry Gaddis of greenhulk, he responds very quickly, if he and Jesus Garcia are still dealing with that through RIVA - they are great and they would know what works and what you need based on your vin/engine numbers.

Last edited:

rpm242LS

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Update: Called MaptunerX and they recommended I look at the CanDoo Pro. Because I'm not looking at performance tunes just to read/clear code the CanDoo pro would be better suited for this. I thought that was cool of them to be straight with me on this.

I put in an order and will get it Thursday - will update after trying to read/clear the alarm if anyone is interested.

Side benefit will be I can also use it on my 2020 FX WaveRunnner if I have any issues down the road with it.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is what i purchased. It can do pre2012 yamaha, waverunners, boats and outboards all the way to 2019( maybe newer but i have only personally used it on my 2015 fzs waverunner, 2016 ar240, 2019 ex deluxe waverunner

Yds pro2

rpm242LS

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Update #2:
Received the CanDoo Pro in the mail today (fast shipping!) and was able to hook it up to my boat's port engine. it diagnosed the 144 code just fine and I was able to select clear code, after a time it lost communication and a binch of codes came up, then a msg told me to unplug and reconnect/restart the program. Did that and the code was gone! Re-hooked everything back the way it was and started the engine and no code came up, no alarm. I did not take the time to dig into the other abilities of the reader just yet, will do that when its warmer and out on the lake. For now very happy with the results!

Not sure why it took so long when attempting to clear the code, I may have been doing it wrong but it just seemed to sit there for a few minutes doing nothing. I'm going to call CanDoo tomorrow and ask about the process. But very happy I purchased this reader!