• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

NJ Earthquake

John McLaughlin

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Our Daughter who lives in Scott Plains NJ felt the 4.8 earthquake that had its epicenter in Lebanon NJ which is about 26 miles from Scott Plains where they live. She had cups fall and there was a crack in her street. She thought it lasted about 15 seconds however others said it lasted almost 30 seconds. She was. Recently in one in OK and said thought this one was worse. I am sure due to the ages of the buildings. Where her husband works they had a big piece of equipment move 6 feet. Later that night around 7 she called again and said there was a 4.1 after shock.

I am glad all are safe

RNYCLV

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Our headquarters in Whitehouse Station .5 miles to 1 mile from epicenter, It lasted about 30 seconds. cracked come concrete on our warehouse floor and knocked lightweight things off of unsteady ground. But it wasn't too bad. We didn't feel any aftershocks. I haven't heard anything about them, I was driving home from work around the time describe though. Glad to hear she is okay, I know it was a full pucker moment for us. Completely unexpected for the area.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
In the human time scale these quakes seem not all that common, but in the earth time line a blink of an eye … If the New Madrid quake happened today it would be bad as there are a lot of buildings that do not have seismic conditions built into their design.

Having grown up in So Cal I experienced numerous mid 7 and upper 6 mag quakes, there is a small amount of warning when the P waves arrive.

Last edited:

RNYCLV

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Our Daughter who lives in Scott Plains NJ felt the 4.8 earthquake that had its epicenter in Lebanon NJ which is about 26 miles from Scott Plains where they live. She had cups fall and there was a crack in her street. She thought it lasted about 15 seconds however others said it lasted almost 30 seconds. She was. Recently in one in OK and said thought this one was worse. I am sure due to the ages of the buildings. Where her husband works they had a big piece of equipment move 6 feet. Later that night around 7 she called again and said there was a 4.1 after shock.

I am glad all are safe
Turns out you were correct, around 1835 there was a small aftershock, with me driving and the reports of it being a 1.9 it makes sense I did not feel it. Hope your family is doing well. They are posting we may feel small one for up to a week. Good Luck