• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Port side Throttle Cable

peerpr3sur

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
My port side throttle cable on a 252 FSH somehow got caught up in the engine and melted the plastic outer sheath. There is a metal one below it and I don't see any kinks, but now it is very hard to move the throttle controller at the helm. I've removed the cable to see if there are any kinks, but I don't see any. I did notice while pulling the cable through a couple of times that it spins in the sheath while moving it back and forth. Is it supposed to do that? I feel like that would be causing it to bunch up or tighten up since it can't spin freely at the spring loaded connection point in the engine compartment.

Also, has anyone thought about switching the cabled throttle to a digital one since the boat is EFI already and has electric controls from the round spring control the cable connects at to the engine already? Just wondering.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
My port side throttle cable on a 252 FSH somehow got caught up in the engine and melted the plastic outer sheath. There is a metal one below it and I don't see any kinks, but now it is very hard to move the throttle controller at the helm. I've removed the cable to see if there are any kinks, but I don't see any. I did notice while pulling the cable through a couple of times that it spins in the sheath while moving it back and forth. Is it supposed to do that? I feel like that would be causing it to bunch up or tighten up since it can't spin freely at the spring loaded connection point in the engine compartment.

Also, has anyone thought about switching the cabled throttle to a digital one since the boat is EFI already and has electric controls from the round spring control the cable connects at to the engine already? Just wondering.
Pictures always help the rest of us help you with your issue. I’m curious as to how that cable got into something so hot it could melt the sheath.

As to your question, I’ve pondered that before, why not have that potentiometer in the helm in close proximity to the throttle levers.. you’d still need to actuate a pot to control the ETV, so much simpler to have it be a cable driven remote instead of having it in the throttle handles itself. The E series boats are fly by wire but I have no idea of where the pot’s are.

peerpr3sur

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I tossed the cable already, turns out as I was greasing the cable and pulling it back and forth to see if I could loosen it up, the cable snapped. I was able to find a new complete cable at PartZilla so I ordered it. I'll see how well that goes when it gets here.

I know the E series has the fly by wire so I was wondering if anyone switched out the throttle modules or if that was even possible. Like is the pot in the module? I was just curious.