• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

1.8L rebuild brake in process?

ReelFishingSWFL

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Does anyone have any recommendations for breaking in my new 1.8 L rebuild motor. It’s a 2017 FSH 190. I’m doing the first start up tomorrow new bearing piston rings pretty much all the internals are new.. Just curious if I should do anything special before going wide open.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We bought 2021 Waverunners with 1.8L motors in 2021. I recall the manuals stating to increase the throttle slightly up a little past cruising speed before varying the speed between idle and cruising speed for an hour before going to WOT. The rationale, if memory serves me, is that a slow break in will allow the piston rings to settle properly and increase the engines life.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
From your owners manual. In addition to what the manual says, my suggestion would be to run the engine at varying rpm’s within each steps’ rpm range staying at a given rpm no more than a couple of minutes at a given rpm. In step 4, go up to say 2000 rpm for a minute then back to idle for a min, then up to 2500 rpm, back to 2000 rpm, then up to 3000 rpm, back to 2500, up to 4000, back to 2500…. Just keep varying the rpm’s as you climb up to the top rpm in that section. After section 5 is complete, let’s call it section 6, I would do another hour to incrementally work up to max rpm. Like @Ronnie says, this allows the rings to seat, I’m pretty sure my car manuals have stated similar break in procedure up through 500 miles. And I wouldn’t go wide open for more than 10-15 seconds at the beginning of section 6, just a quick burst up to top speed then back down.

4CC60C90-95E0-4479-81F0-85E5F20607FA.jpeg

ReelFishingSWFL

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
From your owners manual. In addition to what the manual says, my suggestion would be to run the engine at varying rpm’s within each steps’ rpm range staying at a given rpm no more than a couple of minutes at a given rpm. In step 4, go up to say 2000 rpm for a minute then back to idle for a min, then up to 2500 rpm, back to 2000 rpm, then up to 3000 rpm, back to 2500, up to 4000, back to 2500…. Just keep varying the rpm’s as you climb up to the top rpm in that section. After section 5 is complete, let’s call it section 6, I would do another hour to incrementally work up to max rpm. Like @Ronnie says, this allows the rings to seat, I’m pretty sure my car manuals have stated similar break in procedure up through 500 miles. And I wouldn’t go wide open for more than 10-15 seconds at the beginning of section 6, just a quick burst up to top speed then back down.

View attachment 215936
Thank you this is a very detailed reply.