• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2020 AR-190 Ribbon Delete - Walkthrough w/Pictures

LASwxman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just recently completed a ribbon delete on my 2020 AR-190. I decided to take pictures at each step and post a walkthrough of the procedure here on the forum. The reason for doing so is that I have seen some confusion about whether the ribbon is built into the intake manifold or between the throttle assembly and manifold. If this post can help someone out by answering those questions, then mission accomplished.

I am not 100% certain, but I believe the later model 195s have the ribbon built into the manifold. One thing I know for sure is that the 2020 190s do not. Thus, they are easier to delete.

Let state a caveat before starting. I am not a certified mechanic. I can turn a wrench. But I am sure there are a few steps taken here that some may have alternate methods or tips. If so, by all means reply to the post. No ego to bruise here. Different opinions are what makes this site work.

Here we go...
1b6.gif

Step 1:
Begin by removing the air intake hose. It is connected in three locations. First is the spring connector located on the top-center. Pinch it with your hands or pliers and pull the tube off. Next, loosen the clamps on Air Filter Box and Throttle Body side and pull the entire hose out.

1617039167158.png1617039229940.png

Step 2:
This part is the first “choose your own adventure”. Referencing the image below, note that the Ribbon is located between the Spacer and the Manifold Intake. So you have two choices to open this up and get to it.
  • You can remove the bolts that hold the Spacer to the Manifold Intake. This will result in the entire assembly coming off in one piece (Throttle Body, Spacer, and Gasket).
  • You can remove the Throttle Body first, then remove the Spacer
I choose the second option for a good reason. The Gasket is partially made out of a metal plate. The edges of that plate protrude beyond the profile of the Throttle Body and Spacer. This has the effect of preventing a socket from seating on the bolts holding the Spacer to the Manifold Intake. Thus, if you choose Option 1, you may need to use an open-ended wrench. I didn’t want to do that, so Option 2 was for me.

So here we go…
I removed the bolts between the Throttle Body and the Spacer. Now use extra care in pulling the Throttle Body off. There are a few wire harnesses attached to it. I did not disconnect these. I simply pulled the Throttle Body off to the left and let it drop down below the engine. Make sure you don't get contaminants inside. You can cover it with a shop rag etc.

1617039341366.png

Step 3:
Remove the bolts holding on the Spacer and remove the Spacer. There is no gasket between the Spacer and Manifold Intake. You will note some "gunk" on the bolts. That is just loctite the factor used to hold the bolts in. You can clean that off.

Behold! The Great Ribbon has shown itself.

1617039479638.png

Step 4:
The ribbon is very difficult to get out of the Manifold Intake. Doing so puts the rubber gasket around the Ribbon in danger of getting ripped. So, I took a tip from another post on this website and screwed a Drywall Screw into the front of the ribbon (about ½’ in). Then I just pulled on the screw and viola!

NOTE: Look at the gasket ribs and how they are pointed so you can install it back the same way.

1617039675779.png

Step 5:
Choose your own Adventure Part 2
  • If you have a Riva Ring then you want to be sure that the gasket and the ring are oriented correctly before joining them together and installing them. The arrow on the RIVA ring should point toward the bow of the boat (NOT the direction of airflow!). Likewise, the rubber gasket ribs taper down toward the aft. Look at the photo to see what I mean.
  • If you are not installing a RIVA ring. Then move on to Step 6. You will NOT reinstall the rubber gasket
1617039757964.png

Step 6:
Reinstall the Spacer. If you forgot which way it goes on, look for the stamped lettering on the bottom as shown in the left image. Here is where you will need to put some blue Loctite on the bolts before installing (hat tip to member 212s for suggesting this add). Hand tighten the bolts to get them started. Then tighten each bolt a little at a time in a cross pattern (For example, Top-right, then bottom-left, then top-left, then bottom-right – just like the lug nuts on a car tire) to ensure the Spacer sits properly against the Manifold Intake.

Next, reinstall the Throttle Assembly using the same crossing pattern mentioned above (remember the Loctite as well). Also, remember to put the gasket between the Spacer and Throttle Assembly. Three hands may help here. But I did it myself just taking my time and ensuring the gasket and components fit together as before.

1617039814649.png

Step 7 (almost done):
Reinstall the Air hose by clamping it to the Throttle Assembly and Air Intake Box, then putting the smaller hose back on with the spring clip.

1617039949944.png

Step 8:

200 (3).gif

Ok, I hope that can help someone. Or at the very least, give them some confidence in doing this relatively easy task.

Regards,
Todd

Last edited:

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Excellent write up!!!!!

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Nicely done...You didn't mention loctite but I'm guessing you used some when you put it back together?

LASwxman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nicely done...You didn't mention loctite but I'm guessing you used some when you put it back together?
Nice catch 212s, thank you. Yes, I did use loctite. I will edit the post. Appreciate the feedback.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Yes, I did use loctite.
Good stuff, wouldn't want things vibrating off!
:D
To be honest, I only caught it because I was running through the process in my head on my boat and was noticing the differences, like airbox location (mine is directly forward of the engine), PCV return hose attachment (off to the side), etc. I wasn't planning on doing the delete after reading that the 2019+ SVHO now has it integrated into the manifold and is more of a hassle, but if mine is that easy I don't mind doing it too. I'll check it out this spring and see if it's the same for mine.

slickstick

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
What is the purpose of the Riva Ring?

How does she run now for you?

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What is the purpose of the Riva Ring?

How does she run now for you?

It smooths airflow in TB once ribbon deleted.
Plus the rubber seal would be sucked through if you didn't use it. Some run it w/o ring.

toddaltpeter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nice write up. Let us know what you think about the performance improvement. I'm contemplating this with my 2021.

rad1026

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
And is that just for increased air flow? I haven't read anything about the ribbon delete.

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
And is that just for increased air flow? I haven't read anything about the ribbon delete.
It is very popular modification for the 1.8 SC engine and well documented the pro's and cons but safety aside it is an easy inexpensive way to increase air to a SC motor. That ribbon would be like sucking through a kinked straw.

I found the throttle response was crisper on ski with NA 1.8 and feel boat has move volume of air to flow under hatch.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
1.8 SC engine
From what I've ready, it makes much less of a difference with the super-charged engines because of the forced-air induction pushes through the ribbon, while the normally aspirated engines benefit more as less restriction for the air intake. For a "free" mod though it's worth a shot on either engine.
well documented the pro's and cons but safety aside
If you replace the stock filter with one rated for spark arrest, you would be legal and safe I believe.

On my old carb Mercruisers the spark arrest filter was simply a criss-cross metal mesh filter that prevents sparks/flames from passing outward while passing air to the intake. I wonder what newer fuel injected Mercruisers use?

Newer Yamaha 1.8L motors have a larger ribbon and I'm guessing they pass more air volume and have less of an effect when removed versus earlier models. I don't really need any more power, there's tons there now and lots of speed, but after the warranty period I think I'll see if the ribbon can be removed as easily as shown. If so, I'll make it legal and safe, and get a spark arresting filter to try it out. I had written it off after reading about the new intakes being molded, but if they're still this easy, I'll give it a shot. Can't hurt to try an easy mod like this.

LASwxman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nice write up. Let us know what you think about the performance improvement. I'm contemplating this with my 2021.
I will post my thoughts on performance improvement after getting her in the water. That should be in about a week or two.

LASwxman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok, so I finally got the boat out on the water after this modification. All-in-all, I am pretty happy with it. The gain in revs and speed was about 100-200 rpm and about 3-4 mph. This may not have been a very scientific test though. These numbers are comparing to last year when the temperature here was about 105-110 vice the upper 80s on the test run last week. I suspect that some of the difference is due to heat sink last year (but I could be wrong). We will see once it starts heating up here.

The biggest difference (by far) was the hole shot. The acceleration and time to plane are MUCH better. That alone made it worth the mod IMO.

Some say that the engine is louder and more throaty. Louder? Not really, in my opinion. Throaty? Yes, definitely. The engine has a different sound without the ribbon.

Mod worth it? Yep, I would say so.

jEt_jAk

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I wasn't planning on doing the delete after reading that the 2019+ SVHO now has it integrated into the manifold and is more of a hassle, but if mine is that easy I don't mind doing it too. I'll check it out this spring and see if it's the same for mine.
It’s a huge pain on 2018+ SVHO. Trust me I did it. I am a novice so the whole process was very scary. Remove entire manifold, cables, disconnect fuel rail, etc and you need to drill it out.

In the end, small difference on SVHO but worth it if you like to eek every bit of performance.

Attachments

Last edited:

jryan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
nexpensive way to increase air to a SC motor. That rib
From what I've ready, it makes much less of a difference with the super-charged engines because of the forced-air induction pushes through the ribbon, while the normally aspirated engines benefit more as less restriction for the air intake. For a "free" mod though it's worth a shot on either engine.

If you replace the stock filter with one rated for spark arrest, you would be legal and safe I believe.

On my old carb Mercruisers the spark arrest filter was simply a criss-cross metal mesh filter that prevents sparks/flames from passing outward while passing air to the intake. I wonder what newer fuel injected Mercruisers use?

Newer Yamaha 1.8L motors have a larger ribbon and I'm guessing they pass more air volume and have less of an effect when removed versus earlier models. I don't really need any more power, there's tons there now and lots of speed, but after the warranty period I think I'll see if the ribbon can be removed as easily as shown. If so, I'll make it legal and safe, and get a spark arresting filter to try it out. I had written it off after reading about the new intakes being molded, but if they're still this easy, I'll give it a shot. Can't hurt to try an easy mod like this.
You all have any recommendations on a filter that is rated for spark arrest? I'm contemplating doing this on my AR but still have the extended warranty and don't want them using this as an out for coverage.