• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2022 212 s - impeller pitting. Opinions please!

JoseFloats

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Hi all,

Sucked up a bag last week on end of year boating run in Miami. Which led me to pulling the pumps out in order to clear out the bag. Port pump had some pitting and ring has some markings, but I wanted to see if it was worth me taking the screws out and replacing them along with the ring. Also, if I do pull them any recommendations on replacement screws? Last question, what's everyone's take on lucky 13 cones?

Thank you in advance and happy New year!
Josefloats.1000028101.jpg1000028100.jpg1000028099.jpg1000028095.jpg1000028094.jpg1000028093.jpg1000028092.jpg

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Dissimilar metal corrosion between the liner Stainless steel and the pump housing Aluminum it corrodes under the liner and then pushes up the liner so the impeller rubs on it.
The longer the boat sits between use the worse it gets.
I the boat is being used every week it gets worn down during the use.
I did a thread years ago on how to deal with that called the poor mans fix.
I I change over to nylon liners and avoid the dissimilar metal issues all together and it appears Yamaha is FINALLY doing the same thing on some of their new boats. On the newer ones you just change the liner on your boat you have to change the entire housing with the liner.
1704296010886.png

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
To me it looks like cavitation pitting on the impeller, and in that same area the gap looks too big, did you measure the gap between the impeller and the wear ring?

Replace the sleeve like @Cobra Jet Steering LLC illustrated then check the gap between the impeller and the new wear ring to see if it is consistent across the entire edge of the impeller blades, all three. If the gap is too large or inconsistent then send it off to Leading Edge or Impros for repair. How does the starboard side look?

JoseFloats

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
To me it looks like cavitation pitting on the impeller, and in that same area the gap looks too big, did you measure the gap between the impeller and the wear ring?

Replace the sleeve like @Cobra Jet Steering LLC illustrated then check the gap between the impeller and the new wear ring to see if it is consistent across the entire edge of the impeller blades, all three. If the gap is too large or inconsistent then send it off to Leading Edge or Impros for repair. How does the starboard side look?
I didn't measure, but I do notice a slight Imbalance, seems more like an adjustment with the ring, seems like it wasn't sitting completely. I pushed it down some and the rubbing went away. Starboard side looked great. I sucked the bag in on the starboard pump, not thinking of pulling the port side, I couldn't help myself and I end up finding this.

-- Any measurement tool you suggest for the gap?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I didn't measure, but I do notice a slight Imbalance, seems more like an adjustment with the ring, seems like it wasn't sitting completely. I pushed it down some and the rubbing went away. Starboard side looked great. I sucked the bag in on the starboard pump, not thinking of pulling the port side, I couldn't help myself and I end up finding this.

-- Any measurement tool you suggest for the gap?
Just get a set of feeler gauges and you should be able to measure everything.

@Cobra Jet Steering LLC had an instance a while back with the old style wear ring wherein salt water had gotten behind the liner and corroded and pushed the liner into the impeller at that point.

When you say you pushed it down, is there play in the bearings?

A little more info about your boat and whether or not you wet slip your boat would be helpful.

JoseFloats

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Just get a set of feeler gauges and you should be able to measure everything.

@Cobra Jet Steering LLC had an instance a while back with the old style wear ring wherein salt water had gotten behind the liner and corroded and pushed the liner into the impeller at that point.

When you say you pushed it down, is there play in the bearings?

A little more info about your boat and whether or not you wet slip your boat would be helpful.
A play in the wear ring, not the bearing, bearings looked good. No wet slip here. We consistently run the heck out of it when we do go out, I like to go fast. If that helps 😀

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
A play in the wear ring, not the bearing, bearings looked good. No wet slip here. We consistently run the heck out of it when we do go out, I like to go fast. If that helps 😀
Are you saying the wear ring is loose in the housing?

Do you run in salt water and if so do you flush everything well with salt away ?

JoseFloats

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Are you saying the wear ring is loose in the housing?

Do you run in salt water and if so do you flush everything well with salt away ?
Wasn't loose, just not all the way in? I do run in salt, but I flush as soon as I get out of the water in the marina and I also run salt away when I get home every other trip.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Wasn't loose, just not all the way in? I do run in salt, but I flush as soon as I get out of the water in the marina and I also run salt away when I get home every other trip.
Do you mean the impeller was loose on the shaft??!!

JoseFloats

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Do you mean the impeller was loose on the shaft??!!
No. The impeller was not. The wear ring was imbalanced, not completely sitting in the housing. MAYBE it moved when I pulled the unit, but definitely not a loose impeller.