• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2023YM Stop Sale order <Yamaha has STOPPED SELLING non "Drive" boats>

H20Thrust

Reaction score
Boat Make
Bayliner
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Working on closing a deal for a MY23 195s. How long do you guys think this could hold up the deal? Would this prevent you guys from buying at this point? Don’t want to be stuck waiting on a boat for boating season.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Would all be dependent on how fast they are getting replacement parts. Really only dealers could give an estimate since they would see how fast the steering parts are coming in.

H20Thrust

Reaction score
Boat Make
Bayliner
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Would all be dependent on how fast they are getting replacement parts. Really only dealers could give an estimate since they would see how fast the steering parts are coming in.
Do they have afix now? Do they know which models are affected? I didn’t think they were even there yet…

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Look at the previous page in this thread, there is a complete listing of all models affected. From what I have heard is that the steering cable entire assembly may just need to be replaced. If that is moving right now or plans to be and the timing I have not heard.

Rushfan67

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
222S
Boat Length
Working on closing a deal for a MY23 195s. How long do you guys think this could hold up the deal? Would this prevent you guys from buying at this point? Don’t want to be stuck waiting on a boat for boating season.
I was supposed to pick up my boat tomorrow. Here are my thoughts on all of this. First, let me say, I am absolutely considering canceling my purchase.

This is I believe the second issue with the 2023’s that Yamaha had and has currently. The first one being the fuel tank air vent issue and now the steering cable issue. Plus, there are many documented issues and many posts about the lack of quality over the past few years. What’s next?

One of the biggest issues I have right now is the lack of communication Yamaha is supposedly giving the dealers. My dealer has well over a million dollars of Yamaha inventory in stock and several boats sold ready to deliver. From what they tell me, it’s been crickets from Yamaha. I believe that to be true because there are no updated posts anywhere stating anyone else’s dealer has a fix. I know it’s only been a week as of today since the letter came out but one would think, as large of a company that Yamaha is, that someone would be able to figure out a solution pretty quick. But hey, this is par for the course with Yamaha. It is been well documented how they do not communicate very well with their dealers and how in the past few years many people who bought a Yamaha Boat had their order canceled with no explanation.

I had a 2019 SX190 and loved it.
I sold it last year due to heart surgery and the unknown. I had zero issues with the boat from the day I bought it to the day I sold it. Let me also say I love the brand, the design and features of the Yamaha Boats. That’s why when it came to buying a new one, I came back to Yamaha. Unfortunately, I am losing faith in the brand overall and that is why to answer the question from the post above.. Yes, I am reconsidering my purchase on my new Yamaha.

This post is just my opinion and my thoughts on the situation. I fully understand that not only in manufacturing, things happen and there are issues. However, it’s not necessarily what the issue is, but how you handle the issue and that is where I feel Yamaha is failing right now.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I know it really has to be frustrating for both Yamaha’s dealers and customers, but the silence could just be that Yamaha still hasn’t been able to establish the extent of the problem. It is likely that the OEM supplier may not yet been able to whittle down the number of cables that may be defective. If this is the case, then Yamaha may not have a strategy in place to deal with the problem. It has been a week since the stop order and I would expect further directions to come from Yamaha next week.

Jim

poolzone

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Spoke to my Dealer yesterday. He said that while they don't have any new information, he has gotten the impression from his Yamaha rep that this should be resolved pretty quickly. He thought by mid next week. He also said that they have received new shipments of boats this week that are not on the "stop sale order". So, it appears they know which boats got the bad parts. This implies that they have "good parts" somewhere and will need to start funneling them to the dealers. When I expressed my dismay that I couldn't pick up the boat as planned and that this seemed odd since I legally own the boat, he said that he expects people to come in and demand their boats and he won't stand in their way from picking them up.

One other thing for everyone to consider... I believe many states have "lemon laws" that apply to both cars and boats. These laws typically state that if a dealer can't fix a problem in 3 tries or if the vehicle sits at the dealer for more than 30 days without resolution, the lemon law can be applied and the owner of the vehicle is entitled to all their money back plus lawyers fees. I am not an attorney but have read up on this a bit over the last few days. Would be interesting to hear everyone's thoughts about this. Seems to me if Yamaha doesn't get on the ball and resolve this they could have a lot of people going this route if it indeed does apply to the situation. Again... not a lawyer here... just a guy who can read! Maybe someone with a law background can provide some clarity here.

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
My steering cable failed at 10hrs on my 2022 SX195 and took Dometic about 5 months to get me the upgraded cable. This was not a known issue on my unit so hopefully they speed up the process for the new deliveries. Nothing worse than having a boat you used and now cannot. Cable change out is about 30min so it should be a quick turn around.

SDAnderson51

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
My dealer told me yesterday that this applies to all of the 2023 boats except the boats with the Drive System. The factory has not released any 222 FSH models so they are not on the list, but they are included in the steering issues. Not what I wanted to hear. The last thing my dealer heard on my boat was that it was in production, however as of yeaterday they have not heard anything from Yamaha about when this issue will be fixed. Has anyone tried to contact Yamaha directly, I know that is a silly question because Yamaha treats everyone with the same attitude. We are all mushrooms, including the dealers.

Rushfan67

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
222S
Boat Length
My dealer told me yesterday that this applies to all of the 2023 boats except the boats with the Drive System. The factory has not released any 222 FSH models so they are not on the list, but they are included in the steering issues. Not what I wanted to hear. The last thing my dealer heard on my boat was that it was in production, however as of yeaterday they have not heard anything from Yamaha about when this issue will be fixed. Has anyone tried to contact Yamaha directly, I know that is a silly question because Yamaha treats everyone with the same attitude. We are all mushrooms, including the dealers.
This is exactly what I was referring to in my post above. Yamaha’s communication is terrible so I am not expecting any resolutions to this problem anytime soon. If you talk to any dealer they will tell you that Yamaha won’t even tell the dealers when a particular model they have on order will ship so they can let their customers know who may be interested in a boat that is inbound. It’s the same with this issue, Yamaha is not communicating so therefore the dealers have nothing to tell their customers and the dealer takes the heat from the customer who can’t have their boat. This is not about Yamaha doing the right thing to fix this safety issue. I commend them for wanting to take care of it and issuing the stop sale. This all about communication from Yamaha to their dealers…. There is none. I would bet that Yamaha has known about this issue for awhile and for those who say give them time.. I’m sorry, I believe they should have had a fix in place before they issued the Stop Sale.

SDAnderson51

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I don't know but maybe it is time for a concerted effort by Yamaha customers to inundate them with emails, or if posible calls to let them know just what we think of their communications and lack of feedback to the dealers, who in turn are unable to provide customers with any information. I would like to communicate this to them but don't have an email or phone number. Has anyone had any luck in dealing with Yamaha directly? If anyone can provide an email address it would be helpful. Since Yamaha is such a large corporation it would probably be best to deal directly with the part of the company that handles the boats.

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
This is exactly what I was referring to in my post above. Yamaha’s communication is terrible so I am not expecting any resolutions to this problem anytime soon. If you talk to any dealer they will tell you that Yamaha won’t even tell the dealers when a particular model they have on order will ship so they can let their customers know who may be interested in a boat that is inbound. It’s the same with this issue, Yamaha is not communicating so therefore the dealers have nothing to tell their customers and the dealer takes the heat from the customer who can’t have their boat. This is not about Yamaha doing the right thing to fix this safety issue. I commend them for wanting to take care of it and issuing the stop sale. This all about communication from Yamaha to their dealers…. There is none. I would bet that Yamaha has known about this issue for awhile and for those who say give them time.. I’m sorry, I believe they should have had a fix in place before they issued the Stop Sale.
When I ordered my boat, the dealer said Yamaha just sends them in order the sheets were submitted. I waited months after I ordered my boat with no response, then out of the blue, the dealer called and said my boat delivered. It was on a truck with two others, my name was on the slip attached to the winch. I do believe Yamaha could do better by sending out a recall or at the least a TSB on the known issues so owners and potential owners are aware.

JayAre

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Spoke to my dealer yesterday and he said that replacements are already coming in for other manufacturers. Nothing from Yamaha yet.

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Notjin
Spoke to my dealer yesterday and he said that replacements are already coming in for other manufacturers. Nothing from Yamaha yet.
Nothing from Yamaha? I know from my warranty experience, Domitec sends the cable to Yamaha who put them in their own box and sends them out as “Genuine Yamaha Products”. When I got my cable directly from Domitec, the dealer would not put it in because it came from the manufacturer and not in a Yamaha box with a Yamaha PN. I understand it, but at the same time, it’s the same thing….

brettmosborn

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Any updates? Going to pick up my boat this week. Already bought last month but still at dealer holding for me. From what I’m hearing, there isn’t an actual recall at the moment but only a stop sale while Yamaha investigates possible recall and the plan to fix if any.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Any updates? Going to pick up my boat this week. Already bought last month but still at dealer holding for me. From what I’m hearing, there isn’t an actual recall at the moment but only a stop sale while Yamaha investigates possible recall and the plan to fix if any.
Steering cables have issues. It is beyond just an investigation. Not all boats are affected. Dealers have been told to not sell nor deliver boats that are affected until resolved with the new Steering cables/parts. With that said, dealers do whatever they want to do.

I would highly suggest that, and if it was my boat what I would do, is if you pick up a boat that is on the list, have the dealer write up a document that indicates your boat is not affected and/or has had the parts replaced with respect to the communication from Yamaha to the dealer. That way if you do encounter issues you have a document trail and potential recourse. But of course that is up to you to do what you feel is best for your personal situation.

Something happens and you either damage your boat, property or injure/kill someone, without proper documentation, the dealer can indicate that they told you there could be problems. I wouldn't take risk because of some dealers interpretation of what they should or are willing to do.

Finally, any dealer that would deliver an "Affected" boat to a customer, knowing that there could be potentially some grave issues, seems pretty negligent to begin with and really only out for their own interests.

Last edited:

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I do not enjoy talking legal crap, our country is way too litigious.

Scenario: Owner who “legally” owns the boat, goes to the dealer, demands the boat he “legally” owns, takes the boat out, the steering fails and he kills someone. Who is going to get sued and or charged ? The owner? Yamaha? Both? Look what happened with that girl who drowned and the “contributing” factor of carbon monoxide, the family went after Yamaha. I recently looked to see what was going on with that case and couldn’t find any info.

The point is, as a responsible corporate citizen that needs to illustrate intent, Yamaha cannot release the product to a buyer or face criminal negligence. As a corporation Yamaha cannot even have the owner sign a waiver as in places like CA where personal accountability doesn’t matter someone could sign a non use agreement, take the boat out, have an incident and still sue Yamaha. That’s just my opinion based on experience, I’m not a lawyer. It does seem to me that Yamaha has no legal grounds to not buy a boat back if they won’t release it. So it would seem to me if you want your money back they will have to grant your request as they are in breach of contract. So if you are that dissatisfied go get your money back and go buy another boat.

Yamaha does need to have much better communication with its customers! Not having frequent, clear, concise communication goes against one of the very core principles of customer service. Yamaha should have a plan, communicate that plan with its customers and a time frame to complete the plan.

As far as Ca lemon laws go, if the vehicle has been taken back to the dealer three times for the same problem, and or the vehicle has been in the shop for a total of 30 days the manufacturer has to buy the product back with a mileage pro rating of the purchase price.

As far as QC, seems to me, still being a relative plebe to Yamaha boats, that many of these issues started with the virus, and while there are still some issues it appears a lot have been fixed.

Maslin

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Interested to see where this goes, I certainly haven't received a stop use recall yet. About the get the boat out for the season, they really should have figured this out in November ;)

I'm in the automotive world, we have stop sales all the time. We have cars and vans stuck on the lot for months regularly.

Redarm31

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I got a call from my dealer and they said I’m good to go on my 195 fsh. Said Yamaha had to check serial numbers. Btw anybody able to direct at what’s best for start up gear forum? Thanks!

@JC!

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I’m not a lawyer.
That's obvious ;) .

You appear to like to use "" around the word legally but legal ownership is not a figurative concept it's a documented fact. The boat is owned and registered to the new owner (OP) already, it is not the property of the dealer or Yamaha, they can not apply a Stop Sale to a boat that they do not own that has already been sold. This isn't a mandatory Stop Use issued by a government agency, this is a cautionary Stop Sale requested by Yamaha of their dealer network and it can only legally apply to the dealer's property. Of course Yamaha wants to limit their legal liability but unfortunately for them they can not limit the use of someone else's property through their "abundance of caution" notice.

Let's use your scenario but change it a bit: A customer bought a boat a couple months ago that he's now put 10 hours on and brings it in for the break in maintenance/oil change. Would the dealer be allowed to keep the boat because of the Stop Sale and not redeliver it back to the customer? Of course not, that'd be ridiculous. It's the exact same situation. The sale was completed, payment was already made (by the finance company in the owner's name), ownership was legally transferred through registration and sales taxes paid to the state and tags were issued in the new owner's name.

Yamaha also cannot force the owner to take a payment in lieu of the owner claiming his property, i.e. buy his boat back, as you mentioned without the owner's acquiescence. They can offer a replacement, offer other incentives to entice the owner to leave his boat with the dealer or even offer to buy it back, but the decision to accept any offer would be at the sole discretion of the boat owner. 🍻