• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How long will my steel trailer last in S. Floridah salt water

krypto69

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
HI

Have a new 2023 shorelander steel trailer. It will be in salt/brakish water. I will use salt away after every trip - but I know one day it will rust no matter what I do.. I will need to buy a galvanized aluminum trailer.

How long can I expect it to last 2-3 years?

Can I order the shorelander Yamaha factory replacement in galvanized without a dealer? part number? Am i better off just buying a local generic aluminum replacement when that magical day comes?

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the same issue and the plan is to use it till it falls apart. I took the plugs out of the main frame tubes in the back so I can rinse inside the frame and use salt away on the entire trailer after every use. I give extra attention to the back side of the rims, leaf springs and trailer brakes just because those are usually the area that most people forget about. I am keeping an eye out for an aluminum frame trailer and if the price is right I’ll jump on it but I’m in no hurry.

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I’m not in salt, but my observations are that it depends a lot on how much time you are willing to devote to maintenance. I’ve seen people post pics of their trailers in terrible shape after 2-3 years, and others claim to get twice that, or more. I’d look at as two options: use it until it’s rusted away, which will be a gamble on how long that takes, or sell it now, and put that money toward a galvanized/aluminum trailer. If you’re going to be in and out of the water quite a bit with it, I would recommend upgrading now. If you’re only dipping it a few times a year, it might be worth riding the rust for all she’s got. Just remember, if it’s a brand new trailer, and never seen salt, it’ll never be worth more than right now, and a replacement galvanized/aluminum trailer will likely never be cheaper than right now. On the other hand, waiting kicks the can down the road, and if money is tight now, it would likely make the upgrade easier on the budget. But from a purely numbers view, now is the smart move.

VitaminSea

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Regardless of your trailer decision, might want to invest in a pressurized spray bottle (gallon type from Home Depot) and take some salt away premixed with you and spray the hubs , springs, and hardware down after dunking.

Yes, it adds another thing to do, but only takes 1-2 minutes to walk around the trailer and spray it down. Since I had my leaf springs replaced, I have done this and only have minimal rust.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Regardless of your trailer decision, might want to invest in a pressurized spray bottle (gallon type from Home Depot) and take some salt away premixed with you and spray the hubs , springs, and hardware down after dunking.

Yes, it adds another thing to do, but only takes 1-2 minutes to walk around the trailer and spray it down. Since I had my leaf springs replaced, I have done this and only have minimal rust.
There was a vid I saw of a guy with a Hudson sprayer and he just had fresh water in it and after he parked he‘d walk around the trailer mainly hitting the hubs and wheels with a good spritz of fresh water and that was keeping his running gear in good shape.

VitaminSea

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There was a vid I saw of a guy with a Hudson sprayer and he just had fresh water in it and after he parked he‘d walk around the trailer mainly hitting the hubs and wheels with a good spritz of fresh water and that was keeping his running gear in good shape.
I got the idea from a similar video and just decided why not add some Salt Away to the mix. Generally I just pour in what is left in the mixing cup after I am done flushing & rinsing and the sprayer is good to go for next outing.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
They rust from the inside the best way to stop this is to spray fluid film inside the frame members especially the cross members. The mfi steel trailers with no spraying besides regular hose rinse off lasted about 7 to 8 years pure salt water. But the last years no long trips just short runs to the ramp. Watch some videos of how to spray Fluid film inside the frames of cars this will out perform salt away.

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am a big fan of fluid film also. It helps a lot with all the salt and brine here in the Midwest winters. The spray gun and the tube attachment do well with getting a decent coating inside tubular frames and crossmembers. But man, that stuff smells like baby puke. 😂

krypto69

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Ahh fluid film - didn't know about that stuff. I'll give that a go.

Thanks Guys. Better start saving for a new trailer tho...

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Ahh fluid film - didn't know about that stuff. I'll give that a go.

Thanks Guys. Better start saving for a new trailer tho...
Go forth and use thy boat profusely in the mean time…

diehard

Reaction score
Boat Make
RockProof
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
i use woolwax much thicker then fluid film and no bad smell.

Last edited:

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Also add a good zinc anode to the back of the trailer since it is grounded to the tow vehicle that has the alternator and battery putting a strong ground into it when it is backed into the water.