• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Is 4-5 weeks to long for a boat without starting on.

alain.lpa87

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi,
New boater here, never owned a boat before never even drive it one before. 2 month ago we (my wife and myself) decided to have some fun and leaving in Miami a boat was a great idea so we got a Yamaha AR220, it came out of the dealer with a full tank (87 octane with ethanol), the first 4 weeks we went out every weekend and enjoy it a lot mostly just driving to a sandbar and spending the day (im not confortable yet with my driving skills and better not talk about my docking ones :oops:) but my question is, after those 4 weeks of going out every weekend life happened and we haven't been able to take it out again, so the boat has been seating in the parking (outdoor) with half a tank of gas or less and im afraid this can harm my new toy, i have read a lot about ethanol vs non and it seams that opinions varies and everyone recommends some king of fuel stabilizer when storing the boat for long period of time as well as a full tank, but is those recommendation for looonggg period of time like winters or it will also applied for 4-6 weeks out of the water, also if there is anyone of south florida that can tell me if we winterize this toys down here or we do any kind of preparation for Nov-March month that seams the only one i wouldn't use it.

thanks in advance for any help/comments, and sorry if this was already asked, im new to boats as im new to forums (this is my first ever forum)

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
You’ll be fine. When you fill up just have some Star Tron Marine additive and add that in per the instructions.

Just follow what the manual says about long term storage and you will be fine. The one thing you will definitely want to be doing is flushing with Salt Away after each use in salt water. Salt Away is also an easy way to clean the salt residue off of your boat as well.

alain.lpa87

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You’ll be fine. When you fill up just have some Star Tron Marine additive and add that in per the instructions.

Just follow what the manual says about long term storage and you will be fine. The one thing you will definitely want to be doing is flushing with Salt Away after each use in salt water. Salt Away is also an easy way to clean the salt residue off of your boat as well.
thank for the reply. yes we do flush every engine every time we go out, 5 min just with fresh water and 1 min with salt away and use the remaining salt away in the nose devise to put in the entire boat in and out, them we rinde the boat with fresh water again and dry it out, sometimes depending if is to late i just let it seat overnight after the last fresh water rinse and dry it out the next morning before putting the cover and drive it to the parking lote we storage it (i cant keep it on driveway on weekdays because of the homeowner association) also depending on how dirty it gets (because of our kid and friends kids) i put boat soap to clean some of the deck areas.

On the cleaning notes our came with the marine rug (it gets attached with clicks in every corner) i notices every time i clean the boat i need to remove it and let it dry on the backyard or something because if not the lower end that goas directly to the deck does not breathe and them the entire deck and the rug never get dry down there, is this normal, is there any solution beside remove it every time till everything is dry

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You'll be fine for 2-3 months on ethanol fuel just sitting. I would switch to non ethanol to make things more enjoyable -- not as much worry.

As for your carpet, get rid of it and run bare floor or get yourself a Sea-Dek marine mat set up.

alain.lpa87

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You'll be fine for 2-3 months on ethanol fuel just sitting. I would switch to non ethanol to make things more enjoyable -- not as much worry.

As for your carpet, get rid of it and run bare floor or get yourself a Sea-Dek marine mat set up.
thanks, can i mix them up and start adding non ethanol till the ethanol one is completely eliminated because there is still almost half a tank of ethanol fuel in there

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
thanks, can i mix them up and start adding non ethanol till the ethanol one is completely eliminated because there is still almost half a tank of ethanol fuel in there
I did mixes many times with no problem. The only time i would say no, is if you were going to store it for a long period. Then you would want to burn as much of the ethanol fuel off.

alain.lpa87

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I did mixes many times with no problem. The only time i would say no, is if you were going to store it for a long period. Then you would want to burn as much of the ethanol fuel off.
got it, i do have a WaWa gas station and Racetrack relatively close that run non ethanol but the guys from the dealer told me that they filled up with ethanol one and that was the manufacturer recommendation but i think ill be switching over non-ethanol, maybe those few more bucks will be worth it down the road preserving the boat.

also, should i use stabilizer for long periods out like Nov-May even if im storing full tank with non ethanol, or the fact that is non ethanol is enough and there is no need for stabilizer also what is fog the engine and do i even need it down here in miami (i hear that on jetboatpilot video about winterization )

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
10% Ethanol is fine, non-ethanol is a significant cost increase (and hassle in most locations) if you're only doing it to prolong stability for short periods of non-use. If you think this will be a frequent occurrence, just use Stabil when you refuel - it will also carry you for your "winter" period.

alain.lpa87

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
10% Ethanol is fine, non-ethanol is a significant cost increase (and hassle in most locations) if you're only doing it to prolong stability for short periods of non-use. If you think this will be a frequent occurrence, just use Stabil when you refuel - it will also carry you for your "winter" period.
so you mean, continue to using 87 with 10% ethanol and put in stabil (every time i refill and that way im set for either long or short periods, making sure i always refill before a long period) if that is the case i prefer to do it like this

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have run many boats and PWC's for years and never added stabilizer in Florida. Ethanol free fuel is the standard on the water and as you said readily available in South Florida --- you can't go wrong with it.