• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

MR1 engine overheating only when underway.

305SX230

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi everyone, I could use some advice. I have an 04 SX230 with the MR1 engines. About 2 months back, I took the boat out, and the starboard motor overheated. I looked over, and water was coming out of both of the spouts at the same rate. When I got home, I ran it on the hole, and it would not overheat. I clamped off the hose headed into the motor, and connected the hose to flush the intake. I ran it again, and it still overheated. I pulled the thermostat and found it was in bad shape. I replaced the thermostat and cleaned the housing, but it's still overheating. I also ran the YSD 2.0 software, and all sensors read as functional. I'm I missing something? Before I pull the motor out and check all the water Paths and valves, can you guys think of anything? All most forgot to mention it also does not overheated if idling in a body of water.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Hi everyone, I could use some advice. I have an 04 SX230 with the MR1 engines. About 2 months back, I took the boat out, and the starboard motor overheated. I looked over, and water was coming out of both of the spouts at the same rate. When I got home, I ran it on the hole, and it would not overheat. I clamped off the hose headed into the motor, and connected the hose to flush the intake. I ran it again, and it still overheated. I pulled the thermostat and found it was in bad shape. I replaced the thermostat and cleaned the housing, but it's still overheating. I also ran the YSD 2.0 software, and all sensors read as functional. I'm I missing something? Before I pull the motor out and check all the water Paths and valves, can you guys think of anything? All most forgot to mention it also does not overheated if idling in a body of water.
Do you boat in fresh or salt water?

305SX230

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
did the YDS store the over heat code ?
did you run the YDS in real time to monitor the temps ?

doesn't your boat have 4 indicator lines on the hull, do all four lines throw water while at speed ?

my first thought would be to run the YDS to get real time data,
then get a infrared thermometer and check the temps between both engines at different spots and don't forget the exhaust,

have you watched the video of how the cooling water flows, it gives good insight,

Captaindaddy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had a really hard time diagnosing an overheat issue on my 04’ AR230. Confirm this for your boat but on mine once the over heat warning light comes on it stays on until the motor is shut down and restarted. So I would suck in some debris at low speed and then blow it out when I throttled up but the light would still be on even though the hull lines were flowing water and no other indicators that the engines were hot. Drove me crazy, hope your issue is this simple, it’s at least worth a shot to cycle the keys and make sure you’re getting current engine temp info.