• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Snell knot

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I’ve been researching snelling hooks to make up double snelled hooks for the Brads cut plugs. This is the best example I’ve found so far on how to properly snell a hook. The simple snell has two too many faults, the exposed line over the wraps and if just a little reverse pressure is applied the knot comes unraveled. What is shown here is the uni snell knot.

While I was salmon fishing this last year and using the Brads cut plugs, had a several strikes but didn’t those strikes didn’t become fish on the boat. A little research showed that Brad found that using two snelled hooks dramatically increased the strike to boat ratio, but he doesn’t sell the baits that way as the labor required to sell them that way would take a $15-20 lure up to $40 dollars.

Hopefully that set up will put more fish on the boat.

Even thinking of trying some single hooks on the high speed spoons. The thinking goes that a treble hook will not dig in as deep or go around the structure, jaw bone, in a fishes mouth like a bigger single hook will. I also had several big strikes on the high speed lures with no hook up.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Okay, the top lure is in stock form, rigged with mono line, chain swivels and a treble hook. Note the two other treble hooks and chain swivels to the right, those are what the bottom two lures came with. You can buy the lures non rigged and that is the way I’ll be getting them in the future.

The next is a double snelled hook set up with green tinted 30# mono with 4/0 and 3/0 hooks and glow in the dark beads, this was one of the first practice tie ups.

The next one is a finished set up with 30# floro, 4/0 and 2/0 hooks, glow beads, and re used the chain swivel where it will clip to the line to the pole.

The next one is also 30# floro, 4/0 & 3/0 hooks with glow beads and re used the chain swivel for the hook up to the pole.

What we found was that it you can tie a uni snell on the bottom hook, but you have to use the simple snell knot for the top hook to be able to precisely set the distance from the lower hook. We will be able to use this set up with smaller baits and hooks pretty easily. Really looking forward to using these as soon as possible.

79C704B2-76A6-4436-9A94-E1F7B49DCF0D.jpeg