• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

The great trailer tragedy

wardial

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Story time kids. This happened in September, but thought I'd share. So the "last boating trip" of the season... I was on the way home... and it was HOT. We're talking Africa hot. Like 110 degrees hot.

Right rear trailer tire blew out on the highway. I got it off to the side fine, but the trailer was... not fine. Entire rear fender was mangled and torn off. Tire, or what was left of it, was wrapped around the hub. Brake disc was cracked. It was pretty gnarly. Getting the boat home was an adventure, but eventually got there after sitting on the side of the road for... oh 6 hours... trying to find a tow company that could do it.

My 2008 232 Limited is in perfect shape! Still is. The places and adventures we've gone on together! The great trailer fiasco of 2023 didn't even put a nick on it. I've been with Geico insurance for 15 years. They wanted over double the previous year's rate for some reason, so I switched to Progressive this year... which was even less than Geico the previous year.

The Progressive adjuster came out and took a bunch of pictures. Me: "You're not gonna be able to fix this". You need a welding shop, a frame straightening shop, a trailer shop, and a paint shop. Oh and you're gonna have to get it off, stored it somewhere, and tow it between everyone of them... on top of the $1500 tow you're already paying to get it home after the incident. He agreed, but he said his boss makes him go thru the motions. Called every trailer shop within 200 miles, and everyone balked completely except one... which wanted us to tow it there to take a look. Progressive gave in and decided to buy me a new trailer. Oh! While my 2008 EZ Loader trailer was still doing the job before it blew up, it obviously wasn't new by a long shot. Progressive spec'd out what a reasonable replacement trailer would be. I said I actually wanted aluminum. Being able to put in the salt and never worry about it? Sign. me. up. "No problem... you just pay the difference." Boat shop about a mile from my house spec'd out a... ahem... most gorgeous trailer I think I've ever seen in my life. An Aluminum Karavan I-Beam trailer. Seriously, this thing is a work of art. Electric actuated hydrolic brakes. A battery (and solar panel!) on my trailer! ha! $13K out the door... of which I was responsible for $1000 total. No depreciation? No, it's 15 years old? No, it's only worth X? I will take it!

They built it at the Marlon/Karavan west coast factory about an hour an a half away from me. Only took about a week to show up. Thing pulls like a dream. The guy at boat shop was more excited about it than me. People at the ramp were flabbergasted. This dog at the boat shop yard was pretty into it. I'm stoked. Onward!

IMG_1689.jpeg
IMG_1690.jpeg

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Looks great, glad it worked out in the end!

I’m curious though, what is the reason for a battery on the trailer?

Jim

wardial

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Thanks! The braking system on the new trailer is "Electric over Hydraulic." Unlike the old trailer, there is no plunger-type assembly... it's all electrically controlled via a brake controller in the truck. Brake controller tells the trailer to break (via wire), and the battery powers the actuator to push on the brakes. I was a but dumbfounded by it initially as well. This thing: https://hydrastarusa.com/product-category/actuators/hydrastar/

3 green tornados

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
That is awesome! Glad to hear progressive took care of you the way they took care of with our first boat we now refer to only as Jezabel.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Nice trailer. I have a 20 yo Karavan aluminum trailer under our Whaler. I liked it better than the boat at first glance. It is a surge brake trailer with a built in brake washer on the trailer to connect to a hose to wash the salt off the drum brake asm.

Last edited:

Judge

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Wow! Congrats..... glad it worked out so well for you.... and there was no damage to the vessel!

Tire blowouts can cause serious collateral damage. I recommend that anyone who does a lot trailering think about a TPMS for their trailer tires. Proper inflation is extremely important based on the weight carried and speeds. Besides monitoring tire pressures they will also monitor tire temperature, which can be an early indicator that a potential tire problem is on the horizon.... or a break is hanging up or bearing is failing and the excess heat is being transferred to the tires.

These system are only a couple hundred dollars and well worth the investment and peace of mind.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks! The braking system on the new trailer is "Electric over Hydraulic." Unlike the old trailer, there is no plunger-type assembly... it's all electrically controlled via a brake controller in the truck. Brake controller tells the trailer to break (via wire), and the battery powers the actuator to push on the brakes. I was a but dumbfounded by it initially as well. This thing: https://hydrastarusa.com/product-category/actuators/hydrastar/
Have you towed your boat very much with the new trailer? How do you like the electric over hydraulic brakes? What kind of brake controller do you have?

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Pleased to here Progressive handled this wonderfully, as they have a bad rap in these parts at least for car claims. I have them also for the boat, with trailer and tow coverage but nonetheless, I pay about 150 bucks a year for the BOAT US policy also, as I know they will instantly cover trailer transport for me if it breaks down. Probably overkill but didn't think that the time I had a flat.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
What brand of ST tires did the new trailer come with?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Have you towed your boat very much with the new trailer? How do you like the electric over hydraulic brakes? What kind of brake controller do you have?
@Betik has this on his new aluminum trailer, tows a lot and has said it's been very beneficial, he did a write up on it here somewhere,

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
@Betik has this on his new aluminum trailer, tows a lot and has said it's been very beneficial, he did a write up on it here somewhere,
Right on.. thanks for that info, maybe @Betik will chime in and link his thread..

I’ve looked into these units as well, there was one on a wake boat at the outdoor show. While surge brake systems are simple, there two things I do not like about them. 1, you cannot actuate the brakes manually should a problem arise, like a fishtailing trailer, 2-being able to check the brakes for functionality as part of a departure check list with the manual lever in the cab.

wardial

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Obviously it's off season, and I've only towed about 200 miles with the new trailer... so not a huge amount of experience just yet. However, my first impression has been really positive. The trailer is essentially locked to the truck as one unit - unlike the experience with traditional surge brakes that have a bit of give and take as you accelerate from a stop, or slow down. This just feels right. Very solid and attached. With the electric over hydraulic, the braking is customizable depending on the load and the tow vehicle via the brake controller. There's also a panic brake button if something goes really sideways. You really want to know what trailering in the modern age is like? I have the Curt Echo controller set up.

It simply plugs in... inline... between the tow vehicle and the trailer. It has an accelerometer built-in, and communicates back to the trailer brakes accordingly when the brake pedal is pushed. It's all hard-wired, but the wild thing is the braking aggressiveness and settings profile for the controller are managed via smartphone via bluetooth. I was suspect, but it's only the setup + configuration. It doesn't need to stay connected to bluetooth, and if loses connection retains the profile last set. Reviews are really good, and I agree with my limited experience thus far. Trailering in the modern age I tell you.

wardial

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
What brand of ST tires did the new trailer come with?
New trailer came with "Rainier ST" tires installed. I'm not familiar with these, so no feedback yet other than the trailer pulls smooth as glass. My pick is Goodyear Endurance for when it's time to replace.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I couldn’t agree with you more about the Goodyear tires!