• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Winterizing Yamaha FSH 255 Sport E

Joe Gillespie

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Hey guys, this is my first winter with the boat, might be a stupid question but is fogging the motors necessary if you make sure all the water is out before storing? I plan on running antifreeze through all the drains fish boxes water tank etc. and as far as the oil should it be changed now or in the spring. I plan on taking boat out if we get nicer days in the winter which usually happens in NJ randomly. Hence why fogging the motor would screw me if I run into days like that. Any input or help on winterizing would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Is your boat stored inside or outside?

If it’s stored outside then it would be a good idea to fog the cylinders, as well as running gasoline stabilizer for a couple of trips before storing it. Just be sure to blow out the mufflers as prescribed by the owners manual. There was some talk about the svho motors’ inter cooler and fogging oil, probably best to just fog the cylinders through the spark plug holes.

I think the drains and such will be fine, be advised some things may drain straight into the bilge. However the raw water wash down and fresh water may need some attention.

Be sure to pull the clean out plugs and put them in upside down.

I would change the oil in the spring just before the busy boat season, unless it needs to be changed.

Fogging the motors isn’t going to stop you from taking the boat out mid storage season… it’ll smoke some after you start it, youd just need to re fog it.

Joe Gillespie

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Is your boat stored inside or outside?

If it’s stored outside then it would be a good idea to fog the cylinders, as well as running gasoline stabilizer for a couple of trips before storing it. Just be sure to blow out the mufflers as prescribed by the owners manual. There was some talk about the svho motors’ inter cooler and fogging oil, probably best to just fog the cylinders through the spark plug holes.

I think the drains and such will be fine, be advised some things may drain straight into the bilge. However the raw water wash down and fresh water may need some attention.

Be sure to pull the clean out plugs and put them in upside down.

I would change the oil in the spring just before the busy boat season, unless it needs to be changed.

Fogging the motors isn’t going to stop you from taking the boat out mid storage season… it’ll smoke some after you start it, youd just need to re fog it.
it is being stored outside I have looked into the bilge heating systems wondering if it’s worth it as winters have been mild here and not crazy. The twin hornet 45 any thoughts on that? I was hoping not to have to fog the engine but if it’s really necessary I will do it.

thanks for the response

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
it is being stored outside I have looked into the bilge heating systems wondering if it’s worth it as winters have been mild here and not crazy. The twin hornet 45 any thoughts on that? I was hoping not to have to fog the engine but if it’s really necessary I will do it.

thanks for the response
I looked at the bilge heaters at one time and I also flushed the engines with RV anti freeze until I realized that was not necessary. The Yamaha engines drain down well after coming off the water, and I don’t believe anyone on this site has had engine damage caused by freezing.….

3B992845-B259-40FE-847E-C757C709536A.jpeg

Ive used my boat at early season fishing tournaments in South Dakota where over night temps were in the high teens and during the day it was in the mid twenties and snowing so much I had to use the wash down to clear the deck, all I did was to blow the water locks out after coming off the water and made sure my raw water system was as empty as possible and pulled the clean out plugs and drained all the water out.

Be sure your gas tank is full of treated gasoline ( non ethanol is best if you can get it) but not over full as you do not want to fill the gas tank vents’ carbon canister.

If you have bugs in your area you should plug the pilot water and super charger outlets on the side of the boat.