• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

1.8 SHO hard start “Fixed” stator / pickup coil

sx998

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just wanted this to be searchable for anyone looking for help…
My 2015 SX192 started having a long crank before firing up. Then it started to stumble at idle at times. Never stalled. Finally it would crank but not fire up.
checked everything with the multimeter and fount that the Pickup Coil was out of specs per the manual. That part is attached to the stator. I had to buy a new stator/pickup coil. The engine has to be removed and the shaft coupling removed to be able to replace the stator and pickup coil. I did it in my garage. Part costs over $400 from Partzilla. That’s what was wrong with my boat. Not a kill switch. Not a hatch switch. Not the cam position sensor. Not an ECU. Currently in the Keys enjoying life with family and the Yamaha.

Attachments

Last edited:

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks for the post!

Perhaps you could put a forward slash and pick up coil after hard start in the thread title?
1.8 sho / Pick up coil

Nice to see that you used the shop manual and a multimeter to find your problem. How far out of spec were the readings?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
This was testing the pickup coil.
Awesome thanks! And thanks for adding the verbiage to your threads title.
there’s a lot of folks who have these issues but don’t run a check on components with a multimeter.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Nice work! I like your engine hoist. I'll keep that in mind if I ever need to pull the engine. 2x 6ft ladders, a piece of wood, and a hand winch lol

aviles764

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
thanks guys i have same issue my was 155 om

tomthebomb690

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
did your check engine code clear code on its own after you replaced stator/pick up ….

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Good info nothing better than troubleshooting having and idea of what the problem may be and fixing it yourself.

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
2017 yamaha ar240 did the same thing. Changed the pickup coil in one engine then 5 months later the other engine did the same thing. Never showed a code or anything also.