• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

1st Boat Camping Trip

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Took the AR210 for an hour trip on the Chesapeake bay from Havre De Grace to Hart Miller Island. It was suppose to be 30 miles (1 hours) but 1/2 way through we started seeing 2-4 foot waves. If we stopped to work on GPS/navigation we would get water over the front of the boat so we only did that once!

Get to the island and the sky goes dark. Quickly set up the tent but I probably should have stopped to check the forecast again since we were about to see 40+ MPH sustained winds. No match for the tent with the gusts and a few broken poles while we sat inside the tent trying to hold up the sides. Definitely too big of a tent for this and I should have had my smaller backpacking tent.

Boat was left anchored in the water with hope it would be there when the monsoon ended. I checked on it when I could but when the water got deeper and the neighboring camp talked about seeing a water moccasin, I held off swimming to the boat.

Once the storm cleared, the trip turned out okay but the Mosquitoes because of the rain (?). It would have been unbearable if we didn't have mosquito nets to wrap up in. I have one that goes around my hammock which you can see in my boat pic since I planned to sleep in it on the floor of the boat. My brother ran to REI that day since I suggested we might need these.....

The trip back home the next day was awesome. Flat as glass and we were back home in no time with priceless stories. I learned a lot!
1) bring a bug net
2) Bring Deet bug spray - I just had standard "back woods" off brand. Not the same
3) Don't set up a tent if winds are over 30 MPH
4) Leave the battery switch "On" when anchored so the bilge is ready.... common sense but I have a 2 bilge, 2 battery configuration so needed this reminder
5) Pay attention to wind direction when setting camp and anchoring
6) Relax

Attachments

• 837AE12F-AB9E-4821-90F3-E0B3E6216CF0.jpeg
    837AE12F-AB9E-4821-90F3-E0B3E6216CF0.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 77
  • 89602844-6D91-435B-866A-81F400697B85.jpeg
    89602844-6D91-435B-866A-81F400697B85.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 80
  • EB570DE5-775C-4A24-AA60-D2ED55385CC0.jpeg
    EB570DE5-775C-4A24-AA60-D2ED55385CC0.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 81
  • 0C5F4253-7994-4704-89CA-44970822FDEA.jpeg
    0C5F4253-7994-4704-89CA-44970822FDEA.jpeg
    697.7 KB · Views: 78
  • DA79C6D0-DE19-4A1E-86B8-DC3357896130.jpeg
    DA79C6D0-DE19-4A1E-86B8-DC3357896130.jpeg
    967.8 KB · Views: 71
  • EDF5E185-42A9-4E73-85C3-A18D7FFD2A5A.jpeg
    EDF5E185-42A9-4E73-85C3-A18D7FFD2A5A.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 64
Last edited:
A buddy of mine had a similar experience last week… except he was in 14’ Jon boat and ended up swamping it when trying to get to shore.

Spent a cold wet night sleeping on the ground next to a fire.

Hey neighbor (we are currently living in Exton until our new home is built)! :)

I like the idea of hanging a hammock from the tower, yet another reason to get a tower!

We sure have had some wicked thunderstorms pass through the last month or two!

I wasn't familiar with Hart-Miller island and it is another spot we will check it out when we get our new boat.

Jim

Took the AR210 for an hour trip on the Chesapeake bay from Havre De Grace to Hart Miller Island. It was suppose to be 30 miles (1 hours) but 1/2 way through we started seeing 2-4 foot waves. If we stopped to work on GPS/navigation we would get water over the front of the boat so we only did that once!

Get to the island and the sky goes dark. Quickly set up the tent but I probably should have stopped to check the forecast again since we were about to see 40+ MPH sustained winds. No match for the tent with the gusts and a few broken poles while we sat inside the tent trying to hold up the sides. Definitely too big of a tent for this and I should have had my smaller backpacking tent.

Boat was left anchored in the water with hope it would be there when the monsoon ended. I checked on it when I could but when the water got deeper and the neighboring camp talked about seeing a water moccasin, I held off swimming to the boat.

Once the storm cleared, the trip turned out okay but the Mosquitoes because of the rain (?). It would have been unbearable if we didn't have mosquito nets to wrap up in. I have one that goes around my hammock which you can see in my boat pic since I planned to sleep in it on the floor of the boat. My brother ran to REI that day since I suggested we might need these.....

The trip back home the next day was awesome. Flat as glass and we were back home in no time with priceless stories. I learned a lot!
1) bring a bug net
2) Bring Deet bug spray - I just had standard "back woods" off brand. Not the same
3) Don't set up a tent if winds are over 30 MPH
4) Leave the battery switch "On" when anchored so the bilge is ready.... common sense but I have a 2 bilge, 2 battery configuration so needed this reminder
5) Pay attention to wind direction when setting camp and anchoring
6) Relax

Awesome post!

Sounds like you just need a better large tent… they make them able to stand up to higher winds than you experienced but, the back packing tents are smaller and lighter. I have a couple of spring bar canvas tents that have been used in 60 mph winds, they are heavy but they are tough.

Water over the bow with 2-4’ waves while at rest.. could this have been mitigated by moving more weight to the rear?

As my friend says, “experience is what you get when you don’t get what you want”. You got some valuable experience at the cost of some convenience. I’m sure your next outing will be better due to better preparedness.. Boy Scout motto: “Be prepared”.

Looks like you had a win with however your anchor was set!

Nice to see that the morning after was really nice!

Last edited:
Hey neighbor (we are currently living in Exton until our new home is built)! :)

I like the idea of hanging a hammock from the tower, yet another reason to get a tower!

We sure have had some wicked thunderstorms pass through the last month or two!

I wasn't familiar with Hart-Miller island and it is another spot we will check it out when we get our new boat.

Jim
What new boat? Where are you building a house? Have to meet some time neighbor

Awesome post!

Sounds like you just need a better large tent… they make them able to stand up to higher winds than you experienced but, the back packing tents are smaller and lighter. I have a couple of spring bar canvas tents that have been used in 60 mph winds, they are heavy but they are tough.

Water over the bow with 2-4’ waves while at rest.. could this have been mitigated by moving more weight to the rear?

As my friend says, “experience is what you get when you don’t get what you want”. You got some valuable experience at the cost of some convenience. I’m sure your next outing will be better due to better preparedness.. Boy Scout motto: “Be prepared”.

Looks like you had a win with however your anchor was set!

Nice to see that the morning after was really nice!

Yhea, weight probably wasn’t the issue and it really came down to the waves being to big, the interval and their changing direction. I think we were well above 3 feet on average and these boats don’t do well with that given the lower front design. What is great is that they plane easily and any water that comes over drains thru quick. It was nuts

next time I’ll stick to sleeping on the boat once the lightning passes. That was the plan to start and not sure why I chose to camp on the island.

loved the trip except the bugs

What new boat? Where are you building a house? Have to meet some time neighbor

We moved up from Maryland, have a new, short-term rental apartment in Exton (through December/January) then should be moving into our new home in Millsboro, Delaware. We really do like the Exton area, everything is very convenient.

We plan to buy our next boat after we move into our new home, hopefully late Winter or early Spring. I'm thinking a 2019/20 190/195, then maybe a 210 when the next model comes out. One of the nice things about waiting is that in Delaware the only tax we would pay is on the trailer.

Saw a 190/195 and a 210 driving through Exton (north on Pottsville Pike) two weekends ago. Was the 210 yours?

Jim

We moved up from Maryland, have a new, short-term rental apartment in Exton (through December/January) then should be moving into our new home in Millsboro, Delaware. We really do like the Exton area, everything is very convenient.

We plan to buy our next boat after we move into our new home, hopefully late Winter or early Spring. I'm thinking a 2019/20 190/195, then maybe a 210 when the next model comes out. One of the nice things about waiting is that in Delaware the only tax we would pay is on the trailer.

Saw a 190/195 and a 210 driving through Exton (north on Pottsville Pike) two weekends ago. Was the 210 yours?

Jim
I’ll have to check out Millsboro. I don’t usually go through exton so I doubt it was me.
We do like this area. No shortage of restaurants and activity. Marsh creek is a Great Lake for renting sail boats, etc

i used to sail my Hobie 16 on Marsh Creek all the time. Loved that lake, not far from where I grew up (Coatesville) and never crowded to the point I couldn't launch.

I’ll have to check out Millsboro. I don’t usually go through exton so I doubt it was me.
We do like this area. No shortage of restaurants and activity. Marsh creek is a Great Lake for renting sail boats, etc

We bought a lot in Millsboro that is 7/8 acres and away from any potential flooding areas. It's only 15 minutes to get to a public boat ramp or 30 minutes to the beach. :)

Jim

Back