• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2007 SX-230 Stereo Upgrade

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey @mark_m I'm trying to map out a similar setup as yours (8 speakers plus 1 sub) but I'm not following the math as it relates to your 8ch sub. Did you wire 4 speakers i parallel to save 2 channels? Figured if each speaker had its own dedicated channel that'd use em all up without leaving 2 to bridge for the sub.
Yep. Since I omitted the bow speakers, I was able to bridge to mono and drive the sub. I seem to remember Fusion gave a y-adapter to combine for the sub but I might be wrong. I'll have the boat back in April so I can look if you can wait a month.

Here's how I wired it:

Ch 1 & 2 (tub front left and right)
Ch 3 & 4 (tub rear left and right)
Ch 5 & 6 (combined to drive sub)
Ch 7 & 8 (swim deck left and right)

svana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yep. Since I omitted the bow speakers, I was able to bridge to mono and drive the sub. I seem to remember Fusion gave a y-adapter to combine for the sub but I might be wrong. I'll have the boat back in April so I can look if you can wait a month.

Here's how I wired it:

Ch 1 & 2 (tub front left and right)
Ah, so you don’t have any power going to the bow speakers at all?

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Here's how I wired it:

Ch 1 & 2 (tub front left and right) 75W per channel at 4ohms
I didn't want to do a lot of combining to keep things simple and I had the flexibility in the budget to spend for the bigger amp.

If you combine, I think you're looking at 50 watts per channel at 2 ohms.
Ah, so you don’t have any power going to the bow speakers at all?
No - my '07 doesn't have bow speakers :( who hangs out in the bow anyway :)

You could look to combine and run at 50 wats at 2ohms if you wanted to I think.

svana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I didn't want to do a lot of combining to keep things simple and I had the flexibility in the budget to spend for the bigger amp.

If you combine, I think you're looking at 50 watts per channel at 2 ohms.

No - my '07 doesn't have bow speakers :( who hangs out in the bow anyway :)

You could look to combine and run at 50 wats at 2ohms if you wanted to I think.
Huh, no idea the 07’s didn’t have em. Thought they were almost identical to the 08’s. I guess that’s the “almost” part lol. And you’d think, but the bow’s the wife’s favorite part of the boat to lay out on.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Huh, no idea the 07’s didn’t have em. Thought they were almost identical to the 08’s. I guess that’s the “almost” part lol. And you’d think, but the bow’s the wife’s favorite part of the boat to lay out on.
I hear you; when in the boat, I just use the tub speakers and sub and it is fine. I wanted the power to drive the transom speakers, that's where the extra punch comes in handy.

You could combine to drive bow + front tub 50 W per at 2 ohms, rear tub and transom 50W per at 2 ohms then maybe run 2 subs at 200W at 4 ohms? Or maybe find a 200/2 just for the sub or a 400/4 for 2 subs :)

svana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I hear you; when in the boat, I just use the tub speakers and sub and it is fine. I wanted the power to drive the transom speakers, that's where the extra punch comes in handy.

You could combine to drive bow + front tub 50 W per at 2 ohms, rear tub and transom 50W per at 2 ohms then maybe run 2 subs at 200W at 4 ohms? Or maybe find a 200/2 just for the sub or a 400/4 for 2 subs :)
I gotcha. The “right” way to do it would be to give the speakers their own channel and a separate sub amp. But oof cost and space would start to be a constraint.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I gotcha. The “right” way to do it would be to give the speakers their own channel and a separate sub amp. But oof cost and space would start to be a constraint.
Or what you can do with the fusion is use it’s internal amplification for the two bow speakers then use the amp to drive the rest. If I had bow speakers that is probably what I would do. You don’t need tons of power just to fill the bow.

svana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Or what you can do with the fusion is use it’s internal amplification for the two bow speakers then use the amp to drive the rest. If I had bow speakers that is probably what I would do. You don’t need tons of power just to fill the bow.
True, that’s another option. Speaking of, how well did your Fusion fit in the original location? It’s bigger than a single din unit so I assume it’ll require some trimming, but pretty positive it won’t fit behind the OEM shield, correct?

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
True, that’s another option. Speaking of, how well did your Fusion fit in the original location? It’s bigger than a single din unit so I assume it’ll require some trimming, but pretty positive it won’t fit behind the OEM shield, correct?
Correct. I got rid of that cheap thing. Check out this thread

I got one of these from Will @JetBoatPilot and it worked perfectly!

svana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Jason Kloehn

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Finished starboard side hole and dry fit. Finished new transom remote.

Note: the 200i remote includes inline terminator and tee block and terminator. Inline terminator on the transom remote nema -> 6meter (included with 200i) cable up the starboard side. Finish with tee connecting the 6m cable and the 750 and your good to go. The head unit has a checkbox you select to power the remote, check that box and you are good to go.

View attachment 37748 View attachment 37749 View attachment 37750
I see this is a fairly old post but still hoping to get some info. Are those 6" speakers that are installed on the swim deck? How did they fit for you? Looks like it would be very tight. I'm scared to cut a hole and find out it doesn't work. I purchased 6" speakers and the total diameter to the outside is at 7". Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I see this is a fairly old post but still hoping to get some info. Are those 6" speakers that are installed on the swim deck? How did they fit for you? Looks like it would be very tight. I'm scared to cut a hole and find out it doesn't work. I purchased 6" speakers and the total diameter to the outside is at 7". Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks
Several of us have cut in speakers on the swim platform. I've used both Polk 6.5s and JL 6.5s and they fit well. There isn't a ton of room but 6.5s definitely fit and are a great upgrade.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Use a hole saw! Pre-measure and measure, measure, measure. It's a close fit, but it works! The JL's are a great upgrade.

Jason Kloehn

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Having a hard time finding a 5 3/16" hole saw for the 6.5" Kicker speakers I purchased. Checked a few local hardware stores with no luck. Menards and Home depot also.

Street glide

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What kickers do u have I used a 5 inch hole saw on mine and it worked great

Street glide

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have the 45km654 and I used a 5 inch had to file just a little and mine fit like a glove

Jason Kloehn

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have the 45km654 and I used a 5 inch had to file just a little and mine fit like a glove
thanks! I will give that a shot. That will be a lot safer that using a jig saw

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I picked up this hole saw kit from HF. See if you can snag it on clearance. I see individual 5" hole saws cost an arm and a leg and the cheap one did great!

Street glide

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was going to get the one too but it was out of stock and wasn't any where close to me I bought the hole hole and adapter and had a coupon