• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2007 SX-230 Stereo Upgrade

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You may be where I got the first idea of using a cutting board for the small kenwood amp I ran last year... I removed that and now have a giant cutting board to mount two ml amps to. I prob gonna place behind the helm again. I already have zero gauge power and ground cables running there. But I am gonna mount the board differently. Still working that part out.

Hike

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looks nice! I'm debating if I should go with a JL IB sub or a bazooka 10" powered sub for ease of install.
What kind of 2nd battery do you have to power this setup?
Thanks

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have two group 27 batteries. I have a third one that is in my shop that I will add to the boat if I determine this is too much of a drain. I am leaning towards a bazooka tube. Once I get the boat out of winter storage and can get some measurements I will make a decision but I like the marine 10 inch bazooka tube.

Hike

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm getting ready to install an amp and sub in my SX230 to the JBL MR-17 stock head unit.

The build I'm looking into is:

Kenwood KAC-M8005 Marine 5-channel Amplifier.
Kicker Bass Tube 45CWTB102 10" Weather-Proof Loaded Enclosure. 500 watts @2ohm
4xPolk DB641. 50watts@4ohm

Question:
Would I be ok splicing into the existing speaker cable harness coming out of the JBL head unit or should I run all new speaker wire to the speakers?
Would the best spot for the amp be behind the helm?

Thanks!

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm getting ready to install an amp and sub in my SX230 to the JBL MR-17 stock head unit.

The build I'm looking into is:

Kenwood KAC-M8005 Marine 5-channel Amplifier.
Kicker Bass Tube 45CWTB102 10" Weather-Proof Loaded Enclosure. 500 watts @2ohm
4xPolk DB641. 50watts@4ohm

Question:
Would I be ok splicing into the existing speaker cable harness coming out of the JBL head unit or should I run all new speaker wire to the speakers?
Would the best spot for the amp be behind the helm?

Thanks!
I ran new, heavier gauge wire to all of the channels. Nothing from stock was particularly impressive to me with the setup. I put the amp in the helm basically re-using the studs from the seat back cushion from the bow seat.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Informative thread. I’m about to tackle swim deck speakers in the same location. Did you have any trouble with depth? Did you have to take the carpeted engine compartment side panels off? I’ll be using Polk DB651s but it looks like your JLs were a perfect fit but you had very little room for error without running into the seat. Looks great!

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No issues with depth. Grab hole saw set from Harbor Freight to make your holes. There was no need to mess with the carpeted portions in the engine compartment.

To run the speaker wire and new remote wire back I used a plastic wire fish tool that you use to snake wire in the walls. It ran along the edge from helm all the way back into the under seat storage.

From there I just poked it thru again to the rear swim deck area. Tucked the wire underneath the carpet along the perimeter.

Same deal with the hardwire nmea 2k connection from the fusion HU to the swim platform remote.

Lemme know if you need some pictures I might have more stashed away.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Thanks, that’s pretty much what I was hoping you’d say. I’ve taken the carpeted side off once and it was a pain. Moreso to get back on than get off.

Did you run around the stern for the midship port side speaker you installed as well? That’s not in the plan now but I’d like to possibly run wire now for future to make it easier.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks, that’s pretty much what I was hoping you’d say. I’ve taken the carpeted side off once and it was a pain. Moreso to get back on than get off.

Did you run around the stern for the midship port side speaker you installed as well? That’s not in the plan now but I’d like to possibly run wire now for future to make it easier.
Just cut in those speakers now. 90% of the work is already done, two more holes and a bit more wire and you're in business.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

You’re taxing my memory... I think that i ran it from helm compartment across the bow to midship port. But I can’t remember... it may have went beneath fuel hatch and across.

I’ll have a look this holiday week and let you know!

Thanks
Mark

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Thanks, I am not taking the fuel tank hatch off unless I have a fuel tank problem after what I’ve read. Wire is cheap in comparison!

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Another question, how does the cockpit speaker sound by your feet? I see a lot of 242 guys are installing them on the side next to the throttles but I’m not sure if us 230 guys have enough depth there.

Since I’m pulling tubes a lot now with older kids I’m finding I would really like to hear the music without blasting it.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Another question, how does the cockpit speaker sound by your feet? I see a lot of 242 guys are installing them on the side next to the throttles but I’m not sure if us 230 guys have enough depth there.

Since I’m pulling tubes a lot now with older kids I’m finding I would really like to hear the music without blasting it.
Mine is by my feet - sounds great.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

I ran the 800/8 into 6 channels powering the 6.5 and 2 powering the sub. I often drive 6 (4 in the tub and 2 with the sub) when underway. When parked, I shut down all channels except the pair of transom speakers. This seems to work best to keep balance with battery reserves and how we boat.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I ran the 800/8 into 6 channels powering the 6.5 and 2 powering the sub. I often drive 6 (4 in the tub and 2 with the sub) when underway. When parked, I shut down all channels except the pair of transom speakers. This seems to work best to keep balance with battery reserves and how we boat.
Interesting. I think that would be ideal for me too. I’ll read the thread again to see how you’re controlling the zones, thanks.

Mine is by my feet - sounds great.
It is?!? I really need to get on your boat. I had no idea, I thought you cut it in by the throttles.