• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2007 SX-230 Stereo Upgrade

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Interesting. I think that would be ideal for me too. I’ll read the thread again to see how you’re controlling the zones, thanks.

It is?!? I really need to get on your boat. I had no idea, I thought you cut it in by the throttles.
The fusion allows you to control all four channels. I’ll show better tomorrow with pic

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
The fusion allows you to control all four channels. I’ll show better tomorrow with pic
That’s neat, I didn’t know the Fusion could do that. Head unit upgrades aren’t in the budget for this as my 232 Limited already had the upgraded Sony. All I use it for is Bluetooth streaming so I’ve never looked into the advanced settings, but it only has two RCA outputs so I’m sure I’ll only be able to fade front and back.

I have this wild inkling to try using a Raspberry Pi as a head unit but I feel like it’s going to be complicated and frustrating.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It is?!? I really need to get on your boat. I had no idea, I thought you cut it in by the throttles.

I thought about cutting in by the throttles, but I think the depth can be tricky in spots, especially if I ever wanted to upgrade to JL/WS later.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You’re taxing my memory... I think that i ran it from helm compartment across the bow to midship port. But I can’t remember... it may have went beneath fuel hatch and across...
Thanks, I am not taking the fuel tank hatch off unless I have a fuel tank problem after what I’ve read. Wire is cheap in comparison!
I don't mean to interupt...but you can run the wires directly across from helm storage locker at the carpeted sole, into the ski locker forward of the hatch along the ceiling to the other side into the head/storage locker and aft from there. There is a piece of carpeted plywood at the base of the head locker that allows you quick access to the ski locker. No drilling, unless you want to. You can run the wires around the piece of plywood. Some pictures.

Inside helm locker at the sole. Run under the carpet.
20180503_133943.jpg

Across the ceiling of the ski locker forward of the hatch. They do not sag or get in the way, we keep two rolled up SUP's in there that fill the space without any problems to report.
20180503_133721.jpg

Running wires in conduit around the carpeted plywood.
20180503_133643.jpg

I hope this helps, no one really wants to take the fuel hatch off these M/Y Yamaha's unless you have to.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
That’s awesome, thanks! I will definitely check that route out. That makes it really easy to run new speaker wires to that side too, which I was debating. Great pictures as well, very helpful.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I don't mean to interupt...but you can run the wires directly across from helm storage locker at the carpeted sole, into the ski locker forward of the hatch along the ceiling to the other side into the head/storage locker and aft from there. There is a piece of carpeted plywood at the base of the head locker that allows you quick access to the ski locker. No drilling, unless you want to. You can run the wires around the piece of plywood. Some pictures.

View attachment 98805

Across the ceiling of the ski locker forward of the hatch. They do not sag or get in the way, we keep two rolled up SUP's in there that fill the space without any problems to report.
View attachment 98806

View attachment 98807

I hope this helps, no one really wants to take the fuel hatch off these M/Y Yamaha's unless you have to.
Thanks! I did this OR I ran them across the bow and around the outside of the head compartment using fish tape. Either way would work fine.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks! I did this OR I ran them across the bow and around the outside of the head compartment using fish tape. Either way would work fine.
Lol. I ran the three port channels back along the top of the fuel tank! The starboard channels I ran back from helm back all the way with the fish tape.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
7A17B7A8-06AB-4F9C-89B7-7C12E61F44B2.jpeg

Zone 1 are the two front speakers in the cabin
Zone 2 are the two rear speakers in the cabin
Zone 3 is the subwoofer
Zone 4 are the two speakers on the rear swim deck

The fusion is nice with the 4 pairs of rca outs to feed the amp.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
View attachment 98930

Zone 3 is the subwoofer

Thanks, appreciate the pictures. That seems like a really nice unit. How hard is it to get into the zone settings? I would probably most often use it while underway and pulling a tube or wakeboader so I could hear the music but not crank it in the bow next to a sleeping kid’s head.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks, appreciate the pictures. That seems like a really nice unit. How hard is it to get into the zone settings? I would probably most often use it while underway and pulling a tube or wakeboader so I could hear the music but not crank it in the bow next to a sleeping kid’s head.
You can toggle the zones simply by depressing the volume knob. At the fourth click you get to control all four zones at once. We connect to this HU using Bluetooth and stream Apple radio. It just works.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length

View attachment 98805

View attachment 98806

View attachment 98807

A few quick questions now that I am at the boat see what mine looks like. I have plenty of access on the helm side but on the head side I have vinyl’d plywood at the base under the door and it’s pretty tight. I don’t see a reasonable way to get conduit in there. In yours it looks like you went straight across but I don’t see a reasonable place to pop out from the ski locker side.

Also, how did you run the wires aft in the head? Along the base under the door or to the back wall (port side) and back?

Here’s what mine looks like:
3E16787B-98FB-45C8-82DD-FC45A5800E4D.jpeg91176313-F81E-42E8-83C9-1EA017A4490F.jpeg7BAC7508-9D95-4A05-A4F7-41AC18B564A0.jpeg

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Mine was carpeted so maybe I had more wiggle room to feed the wires thru. And I think that lower piece of covered plywood is removable. I ran wiring along the bottom of my carpeted aft panel in the head. That carpeted panel is removable and the wires can be hidden behind it. I put a Blue Sea 6 fuse w/ gnd. panel on the aft removable panel and fed the wiring thru the panel. I fed the panel with 6ga w/ ckt. bkr. from batteries on that side. I can take better pictures tomorrow.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Mine was carpeted so maybe I had more wiggle room to feed the wires thru. And I think that lower piece of covered plywood is removable. I ran wiring along the bottom of my carpeted aft panel in the head. That carpeted panel is removable and the wires can be hidden behind it. I put a Blue Sea 6 fuse w/ gnd. panel on the aft removable panel and fed the wiring thru the panel. I fed the panel with 6ga w/ ckt. bkr. from batteries on that side. I can take better pictures tomorrow.
Thanks, you could be right about the panel right under the door but it seemed wedged in (i.e. installed first) behind the aft and bow panels so I don’t know if I can yank it out.

I think the aft panel in the head in my boat is all one piece, floor to ceiling so I don’t think I can remove it. So even if I do get the above piece under the door out, I’m not sure how I’d feed the wires over to the port side wall without being visible.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@captainhook Appologies I did not get back with you yesterday. I had some issues with a broken belt on my hay cutter and it blew my whole schedule. Anyway here are a few more pics and explainations. First, that lower carpeted/vinyl covered plywood was not removable but is flexible enough to get the conduit and wires within behind it with just a little finger pull.

20190708_071825.jpg

once in the locker I terminated the conduit to hide the wiring behind the plywood on the horizontal run.

20190708_071254.jpg

I used the conduit again when I started the run vertical where the wires would be visible in the locker. I did not want any gear catching individual wires. In your case, speaker wiring can be hidden behind the aft panel by removing a couple of screws. My wiring is to my amp and trim tabs in the helm locker. I put a Fuse panel over on this side before I installed the amp and trim tabs to power the Hummingbird and VHF mounted on the passenger side dash above.

20190708_071419.jpg

20190708_071445.jpg

20190708_071509.jpg

Where the 4ga. feeder wires come thru the carpeted plywood aft panel, it is a straight shot down the gunnel to the batteries or speaker/s on port side. they come out behind the courtesy light and drink holder.

20190708_071652.jpg

This route is sooooo much easier and probably shorter than going forward or dealing with the fuel hatch.
Ask any questions and good luck.

Attachments

Last edited:

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
@captainhook Appologies I did not get back with you yesterday. I had some issues with a broken belt on my hay cutter and it blew my whole schedule. Anyway her are a few more pics and explainations. First, that lower carpeted/vinyl covered plywood was not removable but is flexible enough to get the conduit and wires within behind it with just a little finger pull.

View attachment 99181

once in the locker I terminated the conduit to hide the wiring behind the plywood on the horizontal run.

View attachment 99182

I used the conduit again when I started the run vertical where the wires would be visible in the locker. I did not want any gear catching individual wires. In your case, speaker wiring can be hidden behind the aft panel by removing a couple of screws. My wiring is to my amp and trim tabs in the helm locker. I put a Fuse panel over on this side before I installed the amp and trim tabs to power the Hummingbird and VHF mounted on the passenger side dash above.

View attachment 99188

View attachment 99185

View attachment 99186

Where the 6ga. feeder wires come thru the carpeted plywood aft panel, it is a straight shot down the gunnel to the batteries or speaker/s on port side. they come out behind the courtesy light and drink holder.

View attachment 99187

This route is sooooo much easier and probably shorter than going forward or dealing with the fuel hatch.
Ask any questions and good luck.
No problem, thanks for the additional info and the pictures! I decided to shove myself into the ski locker last night and realized that the piece of plywood you were talking about is actually screwed in from the ski locker side. I was able to remove that and run the power wire under there. My speaker wire is still on the way so I will run that there as well.

I did consider removing the aft panel to hide the wires as well but haven't yet. I really don't want any wires exposed because we cram a lot of stuff in the head compartment as it gets used very frequently. I'll check again to see how easy it is to remove, thanks again.

svana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Zone 3 is the subwoofer

Hey @mark_m I'm trying to map out a similar setup as yours (8 speakers plus 1 sub) but I'm not following the math as it relates to your 8ch sub. Did you wire 4 speakers i parallel to save 2 channels? Figured if each speaker had its own dedicated channel that'd use em all up without leaving 2 to bridge for the sub.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Hey @mark_m I'm trying to map out a similar setup as yours (8 speakers plus 1 sub) but I'm not following the math as it relates to your 8ch sub. Did you wire 4 speakers i parallel to save 2 channels? Figured if each speaker had its own dedicated channel that'd use em all up without leaving 2 to bridge for the sub.
I think he’s referring to zones in the Fusion head unit, not channels in his amp(s).

svana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think he’s referring to zones in the Fusion head unit, not channels in his amp(s).
I was more curious about the amp channels - I figured he could tie in multiple speakers into a zone without too much fuss.