• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2014 Yamaha 242 Limited S - Slow start issues

FlyGuns

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Greetings everyone,

I am looking for some advice during the troubleshooting of an issue with my 2014 Yamaha 242 Limited S. Twin High output 1.8L engines.

This problem began near the end of last season...port engine cranks, runs smooth, no issues. Starboard engine is very difficult to get started. With maximum charge on batteries and port engine running I can sometimes get it to start. Once started, runs beautiful.

Things I have done so far since the problem began...

(Annual maintenance over Winter)
Replaced Air filters
Replaced Spark plugs
drained and replaced oil/filter

Also purchased two (1 start/1 House) deep cycle batteries (Per Yamaha spec)
added NOCO Battery charger/ maintaining system

This season I decided to remove the pumps to see if that was a source of drag friction and with both pumps removed there was no change Starboard engine still slow to start. (ended up replacing wear rings and impellers with Solas SS) and reinstalled.

I guess next step is replace Starter, not sure what else to try???

Any advice would be greatly appreciated?

As an aside, not sure if it could be related or not but want to provide all facts... Last year I was running about 4000 RPM and a cleanout plug popped. I shutoff the engine quickly but still took quite a bit of water into the exhaust area. I reinstalled the plug (Rebuilt them over the winter) and the bilge did its job but I was always concerned that the water could have affected the muffler or exhaust somehow.

Acard7

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Swap all your ignition coils from port to starboard to see if those could be your problem. If the starter is turning it over I doubt it is your problem. If the engine doesn’t want to turn over at all then your clean out safety switches need looked at or adjusted.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length