• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2015 242 Limited S - Not pissing when in the water, but full flow on hose

Jspoole87

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have a 2015 242 Limited S, and while I was out a few weeks ago I got an overheat on the port engine and immediately shut it down after. Once I got the boat back to the yard, hooked it up to the hose and it flushes just fine. Checked the strainer screen and it was completely clear as well.

My next step will be to run trimmer line through from the back with the strainer removed to check for a blockage.

Aside from the possibility of a blockage only at the rear, what else could cause it to not flow while in the water but have a perfectly strong stream on the hose?

You sucked something up and it cleared itself, when you got home it was gone and it flowed fine on the hose.

After checking the hose, I put it back in the water again yesterday with no water flowing still. Sorry, should have mentioned that.

After checking the hose, I put it back in the water again yesterday with no water flowing still. Sorry, should have mentioned that.

Okay, when it’s on the hose, is water flowing back out the strainer in the jet pump?

You may need to pull the strainer screen block out of the jet pump and see if any thing is back there. I’d flush it without the strainer block just to be sure then move on.

BTW, did you go through and check all the hoses in the engine bay to make sure nothing is kinked?

How about flow coming out of the engine cooling outlet by the jet pump?

Let me make sure I understand. When you are in the water, no water comes out of the port engine pisser and you get an over temp alarm. When you are running on a hose you do not get an overtemp alarm and you are getting flow through the pisser as well as out through the strainer?

If thats the case the only thing i could figure is that water is being pushed out of the flush port when in the water.

This logic is pointing directly at a blockage between the strainer and the engine. It's the only variable from running on water, in comparison to running on the lake.

Pretty common place for a blockage and definitely one of the places folks should inspect annually, or whenever you see a light stream. Clean that strainer, possible hit the inlet with an air hose.

Thanks guys, that is exactly what I was thinking as well. Blockage has to be somewhere between strainer and where the hose connection connects at the Y.

I would also check your clean out ports. It's a long shot but if the cleanout ports aren't in all the way it cant build up the required pressure to push water thru the strainers.
Ask me how I know(rookie mistake).

What was it made off? The screen seems so small.

Back