• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2016 AR240 Cobra fins - Magnum AK w/ Fangs - install and first impressions, plus EZ locks refresher

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Thanks to both of you, I appreciate the positive feedback.
I was out on the water all day myself, red tide and dead fish so bad that I could smell it as soon as I drove near the bay.
But beside that and some really nasty violent chop in the gulf left over from the hurricane it was a day on the water after all so it was ok although I was not paying attention at one point in the gulf close to shore when a big nasty curling wave grabbed my ski and took it in the air before I realized that it was about to toss me and the ski on to the beach sideways , somehow I punched the throttle and carved through it avoiding a mess. I never saw it coming so it must have come in from behind me and to my right. After that I moved away from shore and went back in the bay grinding up fish as I traveled along.

MicahH

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Couldn't agree more...it's night and day! Such a simple upgrade to make a 100% difference in how the boat responds. Kudos to CJS for engineering these. Appreciate the commitment to jet boating!

MicahH

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Close one! Careful out there, hopefully the shore returns to normal and fun can resume.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here is the EZ locks refresher.

One more thing about EZ locks. Those really ARE easy, and I'm pretty sure I am the first person on the planet who managed to goof up with the install... :oops: But just for the record -- here is what I've learned.

1. Watch the @Cobra Jet Steering LLC video clip

2. Drill close to the top -- see the pictures below -- I goofed up on the right, the left is the correct location of the hole.

When installed in the correct location (left in the pic), the locks do not "lock" when the plug is "open".
I know... it is obvious. But I still managed to drill the first hole too low... Before I realized my mistake.

This is what you want to see when the plug is open:

upload_2016-10-10_23-18-29.png

And closed:
upload_2016-10-10_23-18-58.png

View from top (open/closed):

--

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Thank you @swatski , The bottom 2 pictures are very helpful for people to understand that the proper way to use the lock is placing it in position 1 with the T handle up and the lock on the plug, the left picture shows that , and then the right side picture shows when you install the plug and set the t handle down the lock closes and you can look down and view that the ends are closed indicating the E Z lock is now backing up the original internal lock to keep a plug from blowing, If you note the ends of the ez lock are flat this is due to how they are formed during the manufacturing process if you choose you can file the flat edged a bit to make them close a lot faster when the t handle is being pushed down.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I just had something brought to my attention by a customer with the exact same boat that @swatski has , He contacted me today early in the morning asking for steering locks and fangs for the boat that he just purchased. I provided him with the information he needed to make a decision including info from this post along with many other testimonials from people with similar boats.
I was instructed to send the invoice to his email for the A K system The Fangs and the ez locks.
After I sent it as he requested, I noticed that it was not paid. At 4.09 pm today I received a call from the customer who was concerned that his dealer who sold him the boat was trying to sell him some thrust vectors, he said that the dealer told him my steering would void his warranty and that thrust vectors were the only steering approved by Yamaha. The customer was assured by me that This was not the case and he had been seriously misinformed, he then completed his purchase of my steering and other parts at about 4.37 pm.
I forwarded this information to my lawyer immediately!
So I am asking you to please let me know if you or anyone you know have also experienced any similar sales tactic regarding any of my steering products.
This is just wrong in so many ways First there are federal laws regarding warranty's being voided and neither my steering or my ez locks will void your warranty. Secondly as a consumer there are laws that protect you from deceptive practices. If you are or have been chorused in any way by any retailer telling you this type of bad information, ok call it what it is "a LIE" or any other information that you question please let me know When a dealer stoops to that type of tactic it needs to be dealt with in no uncertain terms.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I just received some feedback from the customer who originally reported this incident to me, here is his comment on the Magnum A K steering and fangs .

"Hi. Jeff

Took boat out on Sunday after installing steering and ak fins fangs. Slow speed control was incredible tracks &I turns really good now even my 15 year old son can control it. It's like having a outdrive like feel &I control. In speed now turns are easy no more hard turning its incredible system for jet boats thanks."
So he's very happy !
I told him if he runs across any people in the area of that dealer who happens to have the other steering he may want to ask if he can drive their boat and let them drive his for comparison. Totally up to him.
Actually that may be a good thing any place you boat for comparison no outside influence , just one verses the other.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I told him if he runs across any people in the area of that dealer who happens to have the other steering he may want to ask if he can drive their boat and let them drive his for comparison. Totally up to him.
Actually that may be a good thing any place you boat for comparison no outside influence , just one verses the other.
@Cobra Jet Steering LLC I like that idea. If anyone is around St. Louis, MO, hit me up!
I typically boat in the Sunset Hills area of Saint Louis county on the Meramec River. Please PM me for my phone/email.

--

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

Rodney Findley

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
good info here. for so many years the focus has been on only slow speed maneuvering. Where I am, we have a busy lake during the summer months and a lot of time its is rough and with that you can get caught up in other boats wash/wake and forced to fight to track straight using thrust. Having something (regardless of who makes it) that can "dig in" and aid in some of the tacking is great! all we have now is a keel of the hull and the small 12" articulating keel to control a 24', 5100 lb. vessel at 40 mph - not working for me.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
All of my patented steering can assist in both low speed and high speed this is great for water sports or off power steering in an emergency. It really just depends on what you want from a steering system, in your case you definitely need both and a reduced stress level on your steering components, I still have those listed at the same introductory price as the first day I offered them 324.25 and the fangs are 39 dollars, plus the special price if you add EZ locks to the order 26.50 for the set and a 30 day money back guarantee as always.

rsg1963

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Adding the AKs w/FANGS, there is noticeably less slack/play on the wheel and the steering is much tighter. With the rack and pinion steering in new twins there is a ton of play on the wheel -- and that is mostly gone.

ot.

hope this helps.

--
Oh how I wish that were the case for me. I have about 1/3 of a wheel turn of slop in my wheel, before and after the installation. I am very glad I purchased the fins and fangs but honestly notice no difference in steering effort or reduction in slop. Where I do see the difference is in slow speed maneuvering/reversing and a little in high speed response.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Here is a tip, check the bolts that hold the halves of the rack and pinion together to be sure they are tight. If the rack itself has play in it, all the steering in the world won't make any difference.
I believe what @swatski was referring to is the delay in response due to the original rudder being shielded by the keel thus delaying the response to the wheel, more like a steering lag, since the fins and fangs are completely exposed to the water the response to the helm is instant minus any rack and pinion issues, if you have someone secure the rudder so it can not move and you turn your steering wheel it SHOULD immediately effect the rudder if not and there is free play I would have the rack checked for loose bolts or other issues.

rsg1963

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here is a tip, check the bolts that hold the halves of the rack and pinion together to be sure they are tight. If the rack itself has play in it, all the steering in the world won't make any difference.
I believe what @swatski was referring to is the delay in response due to the original rudder being shielded by the keel thus delaying the response to the wheel, more like a steering lag, since the fins and fangs are completely exposed to the water the response to the helm is instant minus any rack and pinion issues, if you have someone secure the rudder so it can not move and you turn your steering wheel it SHOULD immediately effect the rudder if not and there is free play I would have the rack checked for loose bolts or other issues.
I will try that test today, thanks for the tip!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
No problem let us know what you discover

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Oh how I wish that were the case for me. I have about 1/3 of a wheel turn of slop in my wheel, before and after the installation. I am very glad I purchased the fins and fangs but honestly notice no difference in steering effort or reduction in slop. Where I do see the difference is in slow speed maneuvering/reversing and a little in high speed response.
I agree with @Cobra Jet Steering LLC - just saw his response up here - what Jeff is saying makes a lot of sense. I do not have (almost) any slack in my steering AFTER his fins install, albeit the 1/3 or even 1/2 turn of the steering wheel does feel completely effortless in those new boats, almost like it is slacking. But I do have an immediate steering response, still not linear in the first 1/3 turn or so, and there is a point in the steering set up, at about 1/3-1/2 turn where there is a palpable transition to a more aggressive steering grip.

I totally see what @rsg1963 is saying, especially as I compare the situation to that in my old 190. The new rack and pinion steering is so smooth and effortless, it moves almost too easy so there is not much room for improvement in the ease of handling, or the need for it really. In the old boat, Fangs really helped at high speeds (the power steering effect), in the new boat - not an issue. However, as far as the stress on the steering components, I do feel that adding an extra rod and Fangs is a very good idea.

--

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
EZ locks just make sense. I do admit when I got them I was a bit nervous about drilling the hole but it was nothing. Simple no nonsense fix with visible confirmation

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The rack and pinion is geared down a lot so you do not feel the actual resistance in the wheel produced by the rudder I believe the gearing is about double the travel in the wheel as the previous steering helm. Where 1/4 turn was full right or full left now it's 1/2 turn so if you are accustom to the old helm it takes some getting accustom to that difference. The reason I said check the bolts was from a person who informed me that they had a similar problem with slop in a rack and pinion steering helm in a different make boat. I asked that he let me know what the dealer found and it was the bolts were loose or in need of an adjustment but the issue was resolved by doing that. If there is play it will show when they do the test I suggested. The person who shared this with me is @Steve B it was in a 2016 chap VRX here is the picture of the helm
let me know if you are having trouble viewing this I can make it bigger

Last edited:

rsg1963

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you @swatski , The bottom 2 pictures are very helpful for people to understand that the proper way to use the lock is placing it in position 1 with the T handle up and the lock on the plug, the left picture shows that , and then the right side picture shows when you install the plug and set the t handle down the lock closes and you can look down and view that the ends are closed indicating the E Z lock is now backing up the original internal lock to keep a plug from blowing, If you note the ends of the ez lock are flat this is due to how they are formed during the manufacturing process if you choose you can file the flat edged a bit to make them close a lot faster when the t handle is being pushed down.
I struggled each time I installed these locks until I tried this method. Waaaay easier now. Thanks to the OP and for reposting Jeff!