• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2016 AR240 Cobra fins - Magnum AK w/ Fangs - install and first impressions, plus EZ locks refresher

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I have only been doing this 15 years so based on my limited experience I can say forgetaboutit. you really do not want any fins that go up at speed especially on those large keel boats, you need to override the keel as it wants the boat to keep going straight at speed, also the ultimate system would be more expensive than the mag a k system and the mag ak system fangs are also way less money that the ultimate fangs, so why pay more for less influence ???
The mag ak with the fangs will impress you and your wallet or send them back for a refund under my 30 day money back guarantee.
The original rudder can assist with the mag ak system and the rudder is already there so it isn't costing you anything extra to benefit from it.
Well you asked lol.
I can build all sorts of systems but my main thing is stay focused on cost and effectiveness while keeping it simple. like the new viper system it's going to kick some ass in the single engine category.
The ultimate system on boats with no huge keel down the middle is the ULTIMATE in providing steering at any speed and being versatile with no nasty side effects but those are totally different boats than the large keel models, again it is what those boats need to make them more fun and practical, but I like the idea of making model specific systems as well.
The magnum A K is really balanced in every way. The viper provides a set of fins with fangs and a trim type platform to get the boat on plane faster and stabilize the hull in rough water all rolled up in one neat package.
I am having a blast doing what I do even if the viper will take away from my ultimate sales on the keel single engine setups plus they cost less , so it's a winner for the consumer.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Ok for the record the VIPER is a model specific system for the 19 foot single engine boats with the rudder, They are not for the larger boats, or the non rudder 19 foot models just the rudder style, the Ultimate set is better on the non rudder 19 foot boats, As for the systems remember there is a huge difference between the location of the pumps on a twin engine hull and a single engine hull .

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have only been doing this 15 years so based on my limited experience I can say forgetaboutit. you really do not want any fins that go up at speed especially on those large keel boats, you need to override the keel as it wants the boat to keep going straight at speed, also the ultimate system would be more expensive than the mag a k system and the mag ak system fangs are also way less money that the ultimate fangs, so why pay more for less influence ???
The mag ak with the fangs will impress you and your wallet or send them back for a refund under my 30 day money back guarantee.
The original rudder can assist with the mag ak system and the rudder is already there so it isn't costing you anything extra to benefit from it.
Well you asked lol.
I can build all sorts of systems but my main thing is stay focused on cost and effectiveness while keeping it simple. like the new viper system it's going to kick some ass in the single engine category.
The ultimate system on boats with no huge keel down the middle is the ULTIMATE in providing steering at any speed and being versatile with no nasty side effects but those are totally different boats than the large keel models, again it is what those boats need to make them more fun and practical, but I like the idea of making model specific systems as well.
The magnum A K is really balanced in every way. The viper provides a set of fins with fangs and a trim type platform to get the boat on plane faster and stabilize the hull in rough water all rolled up in one neat package.
I am having a blast doing what I do even if the viper will take away from my ultimate sales on the keel single engine setups plus they cost less , so it's a winner for the consumer.
You beat me to it - I just posted exactly the same comment! Couldn't agree more, Jeff!

Now, if we could have you design some wake surfing tab extensions, that would be something!!!! LOL.

--

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The problem is that every year we get new people and it reminds me of a school teacher every year we have to teach the same lessons, I honestly expect it and welcome it. I just wish my web site was redone, he had it up for a couple of days and I made him take it down because it was all messed up so now I think I am waiting for hell to freeze over. oh well.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
SO for the record my 4 tec system is also model specific as it addresses the reverse canceling effect of fins on those boats as the nozzles turn opposite of the usual nozzles , the system IS bolted to the nozzle it will not break the nozzle or effect the factory warranty the nozzles run about 100 dollars new just for reference, but that system is so dialed in for those boats I hate to mess with it. And if someone really wanted to waste their money they could buy a nozzle send it to me for the system to be installed and keep their original nozzle under their pillow but they would never need it. There are people here who realize how effective that system is and how it works in all ranges even for water sports with no undesirable side effects.
twin engine single engine, both use the same exact set . So if you want steering on your 4 tec setup you may want to seriously consider this tried and proven system. SERIOUSLY.

LeeFlan7

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This is my first jet boat, my wife being very concerned about handling, but it simply is easier to drive than my old I/O

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
My fins and fangs are installed and ready to go...the boat officially will see water for the first time tomorrow morning so I will be sure to post my thoughts
This is my first jet boat, my wife being very concerned about handling, but it simply is easier to drive than my old I/O
Ok so you finally managed to get it in the water and you like how it handles! better than your previous I O. Very good!.

LeeFlan7

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was a little shocked to say the least on how well this boat performed, we decided to start the 2017 boating season a little early primarily because we figured that we would have a learning curve with the handling....our marina is in a cove, so no wake until you reach the main river...so we idled out and the handling at super low speeds was incredibly intuitive with close to an immediate response. My wife then asked to give it a "go", she proceeded to reverse, side to side and spin in circles and pretty much put the boat wherever she wanted it.

Im presuming this was a direct result of the combination of the keel Yamaha designed and the effects of the Cobra Steering AK system.

Here is what Id say...i think the money spent on the Cobra system was worth every penny and then some, plus Im thrilled with the new boat!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
That is a drawback of the steering , the wife takes over and you get stuck in the passenger seat until it needs gas.

LeeFlan7

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ha, maybe.
My wife was very pregnant for boating season last year so good for me, bad for her she couldn't drive the ski, well, if my plan works the way I hope it does for this season, I can teach her how to dry dock the ski and allow her to make up the lost hours jet skiing and that will leave me to the boat...im taking my vitamins and saying my prayers!

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That is a drawback of the steering , the wife takes over and you get stuck in the passenger seat until it needs gas.
I don't see that happening on my boat. Whoever drives has to be sober and that is not a condition that my wife prefers while on the boat.:winkingthumbsup"

Nick Hughes

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
While I haven't used my new Magnum AK+Fangs in the water yet, I did want to comment on the install. Very well written instructions, use the web instructions, more clear and you can zoom if needed. Everything was really easy to follow and had no issues. Less than an hour, even with sending an email to Jeff to ask why I had 4 fins sent and if I missed something in the instructions. Hopefully get out this weekend to try them out.

USN SCPO RET

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I've had mine installed for months...still waiting to take it out for "sea trials"

Maybe in a couple weeks...

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski - Great review! I so need to do this next year when I de-winterize my boat. Perfect pass, ballast system, table leg mount with mag light clips, connext voltage fix, cobras ... It will feel like a new boat all over again!
Sorry @Mainah... I realize this is a little off topic from the Cobra AK fins. But in reading thru the thread I came across your list desired mods.
Have you heard of the Hydrophase Ridesteady GPS speed control (alternative to Perfect Pass)? https://www.hydrophase.com/yamaha
Prefect Pass is great and all... but it almost seems a travesty to put Perfect Pass on a Ridesteady compatible boat. All digital controlled thru the Accelerator Position Sensor, plug and play install, no mechanical servos, AND electronic engine synchronization... I'm telling you it will change your life... Ask @swatski... Look up the Ridesteady threads on this forum.

Sorry for hijacking the conversation... you may proceed.

Last edited:

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Sorry @Mainah... I realize this is a little off topic from the Cobra AK fins. But in reading thru the thread I came across your list desired mods.
Have you heard of the Hydrophase Ridesteady GPS speed control (alternative to Perfect Pass)? https://www.hydrophase.com/yamaha
Prefect Pass is great and all... but it almost seems a travesty to put Perfect Pass on a Ridesteady compatible boat. All digital controlled thru the Accelerator Position Sensor, plug and play install, no mechanical servos, AND electronic engine synchronization... I'm telling you it will change your life... Ask @swatski... Look up the Ridesteady threads on this forum.

Sorry for hijacking the conversation... you may proceed.
I have Ridesteady installed and I am loving it. My wife loves it too.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Mainah come to think of it I remember you being a part of the thread I was reading prior to my purchasing the system... I'm sure you understand how it is when you see someone with a Ridesteady compatible boat mentioning Prefect Pass... you just can't help but educate them. Because Ridesteady is just next level awesome.

On the topic of Cobra Fins... I've been waiting to see the review of a product that would improve the high speed turning capabilities of my AR 240. The AK's are peaking my interest. I've always been fine with, and advocated, that these newer boast handle fine at low speed without any mod. But I wouldn't mind being able to get the boat into a little higher performance turn.

@Cobra Jet Steering LLC you mentioned earlier in the conversation that party of the problem stems from how narrow the rudder is in comparison to the keel itself. Have you toyed with the used of modifying the rudder itself to match the width of the keel to improve performance? I'm not sure it would do add much as much as the fins... but it's been in my mind since reading your comment on it.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
On the topic of Cobra Fins... I've been waiting to see the review of a product that would improve the high speed turning capabilities of my AR 240. The AK's are peaking my interest. I've always been fine with, and advocated, that these newer boast handle fine at low speed without any mod. But I wouldn't mind being able to get the boat into a little higher performance turn.
I'll tell you that while in Bimini, watching Jared and @Jason Winn drive my Cobra/L13 equipped AR240 was priceless. They were driving like bats out of hell, I could not take any pics during the ride but here is a little clip from when we finally came to stop - everyone looking like they are coming off of a batman roller-caster ride.
The crisp turning feel of the new 240 hulls becomes a race track experience with the Cobras. Albeit the L13s really help with recovery, coming out of turns.

--

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
@J-RAD like you said it is "PART" of the Problem and yes I did experiment with numerous variations of the rudder I also have versions of the fins doing different things but The second tie rod , in my opinion very important for the reliability and longevity of the system so we do not want to forget about that part of the system either .
The extra fins are very effective especially since they work at all speeds and they make contact with the water all the time slow and FAST operation , the price of the system is also important $324.25 for the Magnum A K system including the second tie rod and $45 for the fangs.
Any further changes would depend on if they are honestly needed or not based on feedback from the end users.
The feedback so far has been very good with only a few people wanting more of one thing or another but that is normal.
There is a very important part of the install process that informs customers that they need to check the nozzle alignment to have a slight tow in on the leading edges of the extra fins for straight tracking and when you add the fangs to the front of the fins this becomes even more important.
If the system is installed correctly it does what it is meant to do and it makes a big improvement according to the majority of feedback from my customers who use it and this system has been out a couple of years now.