• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2017 Yamaha FSH turns over but won't start

Fsh190boat

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I have read a bunch of blogs but each one seemed to miss some part of my issue.
Had trouble starting for the first time this season. Swap 2 center plugs since they weren't firing while front and rear were.
Finally got it running. Drove out all day just fine. The next day, it fired in the morning for the clean up. No issues. Three weeks later just turn over.

So far I have tested the following:
--replacement plugs
--checked fuel in rail. pumped into a quart and let sit for 24 hrs. Clean as a pin. Not even a drop let.
--replaced the Kill switch. no change.
--tested the rear latch. had my wife fully depress the switch and just turns over but stops turning once released.
--new start battery. doesn't seem to help. 4 in total and now all of them seem good. putting on charge just to juice up after starting attempts
--
The "check engine" comes on each time I start with the buzzer and then shuts off after a minute or two unit I turn over again.
It seems like an electrical issue but I don't have a YDS.
I have scheduled an appointment for local Yamaha dealer but my appointment drop date is Aug 17. Just hoping some one has seem this issue and can point me in the proper direction.

I appreciate any advice. Thanks for looking

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Can you swap the injectors between cylinders to see if that's the issue?

Fsh190boat

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I had not thought about the injectors since the check engine light was on. It does get fuel to the rail. I can give that shot.

Hours are 230. I had not started down that path since it ran great 2 weeks ago.

I have been so focused on electrical issues that I need to start expanding.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Sounds like you have fuel, but had an issue with the center spark plugs not firing, and when you say you swapped them, I assume you “swapped” them for new ones and not just with each other? If my assumptions are correct that makes me think pick up coil problem. Do you have a service manual ? If you have the service manual and a multimeter you can check the ohm reading on the pick up coil to make sure it is in spec. That has been the cause of several hard to start / no start issues.

At the same time I believe you can check your coil packs for ohm readings not positive on that one. Did you try swapping the coil packs around?

And just because the clean out hatch switch works for the no start function it doesn’t mean that the kill switch part of that switch is not messed up…

Fsh190boat

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I just spoke with Yamaha this morning and they pointed me to their service manual. As soon as I clean up, I will order.

I replaced the center 2 with new ones. Since then, after running great that day and then not starting, I have replaced all 4 plugs new. I have not swapped around the coils.

I did have my wife hold the hatch switch in with a tool but turned over just no start.

I might have to wait for that service manual. They quoted 7 days so I was continuing to search but might not have a better option.

David Martin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You have a few choices..........volt meter and check the coils and the pick up coil.............or when it just turns over no start you can visually check for spark and if its their........ move on to fuel then air. Spark check is easy Disconnect fuel wire harness at the injector.......remove coil/plug lay it on top of engine, you will need a ground wire to spark the plug .......I use an alligator clip in a 3 or 4 ft wire and clip it to the plug and any ground wire down on a motor mount of the engine. Turn it over and see if you have a good spark........ if not theirs your problem DO THIS ON ALL 4 PLUGS AND COILS. They should be close to equal spark any variance and I would suspect the coils that are weak. If all coils are weak I would lean towards Pickup coil. Thats one part that will effect all coils at once. The EMC computer gives the timing spark of the coils but not how strong the spark....... that's the job of the pickup coil and the 4 coils themself.