• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2018 Bimini June trip (June 24th - June 30th)

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Side note: I'm thinking about getting a set of consumer radios for family communication in Bimini. Anybody have an input? Looking at Motorola MT352R's. Pair of 'em for 95 bucks. Or I can get another handheld, but I like the idea of some chance of private conversations.
Buy handheld VHF radios. It is illegal to use them on land in the US but everyone uses them on land in Bimini. Almost all outings will be organized by handheld VHF. And you can call to boats out on the water. The locals primarily use channel 68. You can switch to channel 68 to call for a taxi. JetBoaters prefer channel 69. Get floating and waterproof models. I attache one to everyone in my boat for the crossing. We also keep one on at the pool.

During the July Fling we will have daily VHF calls around 09:00 to discuss the weather and what people are doing that day.

Currently I recommend the Uniden Atlantis 270 which is an excellent inexpensive handheld with a long lasting lithium battery that can be purchased for as little as $70.

There are some handhelds that support both VHF and GMRS.

As for privacy just switch to a VHF "pleasure channel" than is not 68 or 69.

For me it is comforting to know that if my family needs something they can pick up a VHF on channel 69 and talk to all the JetBoaters within a mile or two.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
ThatJeepGuy has registered to captain Just Look at it with a crew of 2 adults and 2 children. They hail from the home port of Brooksville Fl.

The crew is described as:

You can register for the event using the form at
https://jetboaters.net/forms/bimini-2018-registration-june-25th-to-30th.8/respond for June 25th to 30th
or
https://jetboaters.net/forms/bimini-2018-registration-july-9th-to-14th.6/respond for July 9th to 14th
@Andy S, you just picked a a great guy and great leader.

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Buy handheld VHF radios. It is illegal to use them on land in the US but everyone uses them on land in Bimini. Almost all outings will be organized by handheld VHF. And you can call to boats out on the water. The locals primarily use channel 68. You can switch to channel 68 to call for a taxi. JetBoaters prefer channel 69. Get floating and waterproof models. I attache one to everyone in my boat for the crossing. We also keep one on at the pool.

During the July Fling we will have daily VHF calls around 09:00 to discuss the weather and what people are doing that day.

Currently I recommend the Uniden Atlantis 270 which is an excellent inexpensive handheld with a long lasting lithium battery that can be purchased for as little as $70.

There are some handhelds that support both VHF and GMRS.

As for privacy just switch to a VHF "pleasure channel" than is not 68 or 69.

For me it is comforting to know that if my family needs something they can pick up a VHF on channel 69 and talk to all the JetBoaters within a mile or two.
Thanks for answering. I already have both fixed and handheld VHF's. I still want handheld "walkie-talkies" though.

Last edited:

ThatJeepGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for answering. I already have both fixed and handheld VHF's. I still want handheld "walkie-talkies" though.
I bought an extra handheld just for island communication. Pretty handy

Edit: we also have a couple "walkie talkies" but the range doesn't seem enough

Last edited:

jayasaki138

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Nautic Star
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Anyone knows what is up with Silver Airway? We just received an email cancellation notice on our flights from June 25 to 30.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I understand the additional benefit of GMRS radios in the US. We have a pair that I gave my 8 year old as walkie talkies a few years ago. They rarely get used and were less than $50 for a pair. On the positive side they look and work just like our Uniden VHF handhelds so they are good practice.

I have 5 Marine VHF handhelds. I clip one to each person in the boat for the crossing. I am comforted knowing that they could use the radio and could even be triangulated by the Coast Guard if they happened to be separated from the boat.

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I understand the additional benefit of GMRS radios in the US. We have a pair that I gave my 8 year old as walkie talkies a few years ago. They rarely get used and were less than $50 for a pair. On the positive side they look and work just like our Uniden VHF handhelds so they are good practice.
I already have cheap walkie talkies for the kids to play with at home and they use the hell out of them. I was looking at getting good ones for the trip ($100 and up/pair)and we would have plenty of use for them at home as well. However, your second point is a very good argument for VHF's for everybody.
I have 5 Marine VHF handhelds. I clip one to each person in the boat for the crossing. I am comforted knowing that they could use the radio and could even be triangulated by the Coast Guard if they happened to be separated from the boat.

Dan_NC

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Anyone knows what is up with Silver Airway? We just received an email cancellation notice on our flights from June 25 to 30.
Let us know what you find out here that is weird. How many people you have flying? I have 2 but originally had more and I have a quote from a charter flight company that is a little more per seat then Silver was at about a seat round trip but the charter flight was a lot more convenient as no long security lines at the airport and we could select or own departure times and dates and no additional checked bag fees just has to stay under a total weight on flight. I have not booked this yet but if I can get all other seven seats full the plane holds nine I would consider it.

Last edited:

jayasaki138

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Nautic Star
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Let us know what you find out here that is weird. How many people you have flying? I have 2 but originally had more and I have a quote from a charter flight company that is a little more per seat then Silver was at about $288 a seat round trip but the charter flight was a lot more convenient as no long security lines at the airport and we could select or own departure times and dates and no additional checked bag fees just has to stay under a total weight on flight. I have not booked this yet but if I can get all other seven seats full the plane holds nine I would consider it.
My wife and 2 girls will fly over. Please count us in if you want to do the charter flight for $288 a seat. I just checked with Silver Airways' website it seems they only fly on Fridays.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My wife and 2 girls will fly over. Please count us in if you want to do the charter flight for $288 a seat. I just checked with Silver Airways' website it seems they only fly on Fridays.
I will keep you posted I think @justason had some who were looking to fly as well.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I will keep you posted I think @justason had some who were looking to fly as well.
@justason may have his own pilot.

I sent a message to @biminibrad. He flies himself frequently and has commercial pilot friends in the area. He arranged flights for one or more families last year and had an emergency flight waiting if we needed it during Bimini 2017.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@robert843, @jayasaki138, @biminibrad might be able to help with setting up charter flights.
If he has any suggestions that would be great! I have three price quotes from various charter companies now and the cheapest quote I got was ]including taxes and fees round trip for a 9 person Piper Navajo Chieftain.

Last edited:

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@justason may have his own pilot.

I sent a message to @biminibrad. He flies himself frequently and has commercial pilot friends in the area. He arranged flights for one or more families last year and had an emergency flight waiting if we needed it during Bimini 2017.
No private pilot this trip. but I do plan to purchase 2-3 seats on a charter jump over there.....I haven't checked into the ferry options and if that may be better an option. I have a full plate right now for about another month, and then should start into hitting this hard again

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The new ferry operator is much less expensive than the previous one. I believe the prices are around $150 round-trip. I know some of my family was looking at going over there for a day trip for around $100.

jayasaki138

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Nautic Star
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The new ferry operator is much less expensive than the previous one. I believe the prices are around $150 round-trip. I know some of my family was looking at going over there for a day trip for around $100.
Is the Ferry from Ft Lauderdale or Miami to Bimini? what is the name of ferry operator?

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is the Ferry from Ft Lauderdale or Miami to Bimini? what is the name of ferry operator?
The company is FRS Caribbean. Last time I looked it was $209 round trip including taxes and fees. Biggest issues for me were it left out of Miami so I would have to either bring a second car down or rent a car or pay the hefty taxi fee to get them down there. For the extra $80 it was well worth it in my mind to fly them out of Ft Lauderdale exec and get to pick my departure times and dates and they have a 30 minute flight instead of a two hour ferry ride. I think the ferry is a cool concept if someone just wanted to experience the crossing.

jayasaki138

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Nautic Star
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My family prefer to fly over too. My youngest daughter has some medical issues that she can't stay in too crowded spaces. Let's work on the charter flights. Thanks