• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2018 Bimini June trip (June 24th - June 30th)

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
2 19' yammys docked here now

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
2 19' yammys docked here now
So it's possible.......Sweet.

Been debating the idea of flying/ferrying the wife and boys over, and making the crossing myself to keep them safe.

I'm in for any pics of 19ft boats in the bahamas!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
shows it's not an isolated incident
uhh... yeah.

It is 100% vibration/shaking induced pullout, followed by whatever - cross-thread and/or collapse (or nothing if the second bolt holds).

EDIT: And no, it is not due to the Bermuda Triangle/ Hutchinson effect.

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Attachments

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So it's possible.......Sweet.

Been debating the idea of flying/ferrying the wife and boys over, and making the crossing myself to keep them safe.

I'm in for any pics of 19ft boats in the bahamas!
19 footers have gone every year since they were introduced. The crews on the smallest boats often are some of the best people.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
19 footers have gone every year since they were introduced. The crews on the smallest boats often are some of the best people.
@Bruce good point, sir. :D
@2kwik4u I will just mention it here:
After our 2016 crossing in a 190 my wife said "Next time - get a bigger boat or forget about it".
Being a great husband that I am, I dutifully obliged.
lol

--

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@2kwik4u I will just mention it here:
After our 2016 crossing in a 190 my wife said "Next time - get a bigger boat or forget about it".
Being a great husband that I am, I dutifully obliged.
lol

--
I'm really glad to hear that the 19ft boats make the trip as well as the 21-23/24ft vessels. I hadn't seen any pictures, and nobody really mentioned it outright.

I've also been pushing somewhat hard to upgrade our 190. We love the size/shape/usage of what we have, but there is continuing talk with friends/family about taking boating related vacations, and that seems to almost always revolve around having more space on board.

In another thought.....I was discussing this trip with some friends on the lake this weekend, and the question was raised......Do you guys think a 24 tri-toon with a 150hp would make the trip? We determined fuel burn probably wouldn't be the issue, but possibly the conditions being a problem. Any thoughts?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@2kwik4u, I had to wait to stop laughing before I could respond.

Tahoe did it but they had perfect conditions. https://www.tahoepontoons.com/about/adventure/

A tritoon could have made Sunday's crossing but they would be stuck in Bimini waiting for similar conditions to return in. Those conditions are rare. It is the first time that any of our groups have had such conditions going to Bimini.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@2kwik4u, I had to wait to stop laughing before I could respond.

Tahoe did it but they had perfect conditions. https://www.tahoepontoons.com/about/adventure/

A tritoon could have made Sunday's crossing but they would be stuck in Bimini waiting for similar conditions to return in. Those conditions are rare. It is the first time that any of our groups have had such conditions going to Bimini.
I expected that as the response, but had no idea if those conditions were common or few and far between. I know nothing of ocean going conditions, and my only frame of reference is that his boat rides WAY smoother than mine :D

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@2kwik4u, these are example clips from the 2014 to 2016 crossings

This is 2017

I believe his tritoon rides smoother because the pontoons cut through the waves instead of going over them. It also is likely heavier than your boat. But put it in rough seas and the water will go right over that flat deck. I expect everyone and everything to wash out of the boat.

Tritoon people consider this to be rough seas

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I expected that as the response, but had no idea if those conditions were common or few and far between. I know nothing of ocean going conditions, and my only frame of reference is that his boat rides WAY smoother than mine :D
Watch the 2017 clip from @Bruce video, things went way downhill from that a bit later.
The guys who made the 2017 crossing in their 190 FSH had balls of steel, I would have had turned around most likely, myslef.

--

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yea I would never attempt that crossing in a pontoon even if it were a tritoon. If the weather got bad and the waves picked up the pontoons wouldn't be able to keep up slicing through and the deck would just get beat underneath and then all hell would break loose.

Crossing in 19' boats isn't a matter of if the boat can do it. Never has been. It's about the captain and crew putting up with the battle for that length of time. We also don't have as much freeboard as the larger boats so it's even more important for us not to dip the bow. So that means having to sacrifice slow comfort for safety and keeping the boat from taking shots. Fuel is also the issue if weather is less than clear and smooth since we only have 30 gallon tanks. The fuel issue can be easily resolved but the body pounding is what gets most of the smaller boat guys. Many who cross in a 19' end up upgrading when they return, if that's any indication of what they felt lol. If I were going in my boat I'd have to stand in the isle most of the way just to absorb the pounding. Envious of those that cross in those smooth waters. Should have broke out the Wake boards and slalom skis along the way! :D

Last edited:

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So to make sure I am understanding correctly, the waves are getting high/fast enough that taking one over the bow is the biggest concern right? Is structural integrity of the hull ever an issue? Do you guys see other bowriders out and about in this kind of mess? If not are Yamaha owners just crazier than others? Is it the "self bailing" cockpit design that allows these kind of shenanigans? If waves over the bow are the biggest concern, would a snap on bow cover be enough to keep the majority of the water out of the cockpit? How does one learn how to pilot in these kinds of conditions? Straight up experience?

Clearly I have no idea what I'm doing in the ocean, but consider myself a competent pilot/captain on smaller water. I've been on the Ohio River in what I thought at the time were 2-3ft swells before on particularly stormy/windy days, but it didn't look nearly this rough. I've also been on Lake Michigan in what I was told were "pretty big rollers". Am I capable of making this type of trip in my 190, or should I just keep myself safe and stay away? What kind of education/credentials do I need to make this happen?

AbuAyd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GT
Boat Length
So to make sure I am understanding correctly, the waves are getting high/fast enough that taking one over the bow is the biggest concern right? Is structural integrity of the hull ever an issue? Do you guys see other bowriders out and about in this kind of mess? If not are Yamaha owners just crazier than others? Is it the "self bailing" cockpit design that allows these kind of shenanigans? If waves over the bow are the biggest concern, would a snap on bow cover be enough to keep the majority of the water out of the cockpit? How does one learn how to pilot in these kinds of conditions? Straight up experience?

Clearly I have no idea what I'm doing in the ocean, but consider myself a competent pilot/captain on smaller water. I've been on the Ohio River in what I thought at the time were 2-3ft swells before on particularly stormy/windy days, but it didn't look nearly this rough. I've also been on Lake Michigan in what I was told were "pretty big rollers". Am I capable of making this type of trip in my 190, or should I just keep myself safe and stay away? What kind of education/credentials do I need to make this happen?

Many of the same questions I have. Will have to tell you after July. I am attempting the cross in a single engine Glastron gt207 so it is comparable to the 190. I am planning to cover the bow and I worry about taking on water and about sucking weeds since I don’t have clean out ports. I guess it is not just the Yamaha owners who are crazy enough to do this. My view is I am relying on the experience of people in this forum who are helping me. I would not be nearly as confident if it was not for all the information shared on this forum to help me prepare. I am hoping for excellent weather in our July group but would not mind little waves so we can get some practice preferably on the way back :)

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@2kwik4u, if you read the previous Bimini trip threads you will find first hand info for lots of your questions.

1. Water over the bow is a small concern for our boats but the most likely cause of swamping. Water over the bow would be over deck to a pontoon.

2. Yes other bowriders cross to Bimini. Most are not as well suited to the crossing.

3. Self bailing is a real asset although I have rarely used that feature.

4. Snap on bow covers have been said to help, in 2017 they did not stand up to the conditions.

5. Experience is the best way to learn. Many cross to Bimini as their first ocean voyage and return ready to lead groups back.

6. Spacing has a major role in wave severity. Well spaced 5 footers are less of a concern than tightly packed or confused 2 footers.

7. Whether or not you are capable is all about confidence and desire. We have never had a 19 foot boat turn back. You should assume that a preplanned crossing will be rough. See Rough Water Handling Tips for more information.

It would be good to read the entire Preparing for Bimini Thread.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Are westill targeting tuesday as a honeymoon harbor day?