• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2018 Bimini June trip (June 24th - June 30th)

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Sbrown the people on this particular thread are the ones that will be closest to you if you run out of fuel 15 miles out of Bimini or if your tower hits you on the back on your head and you land on the cockpit floor. The are not possibilities, but the reality which we faced in 2017. Please do not be an overconfident anus chasm, people are just trying to help and have the best of intentions.

Last edited:

Gadiel

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks to all for sharing your experiences!!
Any other advice for us first timers?

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Please read the "preparing for Bimini thread"as well as previous years bimini fling threads.
I also read @kthrash adventure write up more than once. If you do not have any off shore salt water experience, you cannot prepare enough. The lake does not prepare you. Ask me how I know LOL

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Read this a few times https://jetboaters.net/threads/preparing-for-bimini.3800/

Also the after Bimini posts in past Bimini Fling threads will allow you to read about what people enjoyed.

Your first trip to Bimini will be a non stop, go, go, go marathon trying to see everything. Bimini is best enjoyed on Island Time Speed but you never slow down that much without staying longer.

Gadiel

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Please read the "preparing for Bimini thread"as well as previous years bimini fling threads.
I also read @kthrash adventure write up more than once. If you do not have any off shore salt water experience, you cannot prepare enough. The lake does not prepare you. Ask me how I know LOL
Do you have a link for adventure write up?

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Sbrown the people on this particular thread are the ones that will be closest to you if you run out of fuel 15 miles out of Bimini or if your tower hits you on the back on your head and you land on the cockpit floor. The are not possibilities, but the reality which we faced in 2017. Please do not be an overconfident anus chasm, people are just trying to help and have the best of intentions.
While I understand your point here I don't think anyone attending this trip took offense to his question or responses as its a legit question I have seen asked a few times prior and heck I bet if I went back and looked I may have even asked it my first time. He was just looking to see if it was acceptable which it is and we offered our opinions on top of the answer. I have differing opinions then some on somethings that are acceptable on this trip but none of those would stop me from helping a injured or disabled boater on this trip if I was capable of doing so.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@robert843, @Betik went back out twice last year to take fuel to boats in trouble. He was likely the most prepared boat on the crossing despite it being his first crossing.

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Once again, no offense was meant to anyone. It just would be nice sometimes to get a straight answer to a question first and then maybe seasoned with a little opinion. I never said I was going to get passport cards instead of passport folders.....I was looking for firsthand experience type information on something my wife found while she was researching passports. What I ended up with was.....something significantly less. So @Bruce, if you were offended or took my comments personally, I sincerely apologize as that was not my intent. I was only trying to clarify the information I was seeking. Won't happen again.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The information I read said that Bahamas immigration doesn't even require a passport, that a birth certificate will do. A passport or passport card is only required for re-admittance to the US.
If you've been there before and you say they require a regular passport, I'd have to bow to your greater experience. This is part of what I found.
"The passport card's intended primary purpose is to allow cardholders to cross the United States border into and out of Bermuda, Canada, Mexico and some Caribbean countries at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Passport_Card
Per talking to Bahamas Immigration offices on a couple of different trips, reading the actual Bahamas Immigration requirements, and the US State Department a passport is REQUIRED for entry into the Bahamas.

For the question of whether to get a passport or passport card, like many others have said why roll the dice with your family safety, spend the little extra money to ensure, if needed, your family can fly back to the states. Besides a medical emergency, your could have serious mechanical issues that prevent you from making the trip back to the states on your boat with a passport card you can't fly back to the states.

Also, I have no experience with someone entering the Bahamas with a passport card, so it would be horrible that make it across the water to Bimini and then find out the Bahamas Immigration doesn't take the passport card.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Sbrown, not offended. Someone always brings up passport cards.

I do not know of anyone actually using one to enter the Bahamas and I always discourage it.

Medical services in Bimini are limited to first aid. An Emergency on the island or at home might force a quick return to the US.

It is unwise to travel on a passport card even if it is possible. Those cards are intended for people who do not have RealID qualified drivers licenses traveling inside the US.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
While I understand your point here I don't think anyone attending this trip took offense to his question or responses as its a legit question I have seen asked a few times prior and heck I bet if I went back and looked I may have even asked it my first time. He was just looking to see if it was acceptable which it is and we offered our opinions on top of the answer. I have differing opinions then some on somethings that are acceptable on this trip but none of those would stop me from helping a injured or disabled boater on this trip if I was capable of doing so.
For me crossing to Bimini on those lake boats, is"us" VS. "Poseidon's sense of humor." And Poseidon holds a crouch against overconfident people. This is very well documented on the book Odyssey by Homer. Now if you are not into superstition and mythological creatures just think of the infinity pool topic if the overconfident guy/gal got in trouble.

@Sbrown please do not read my comment as " you got to be humble or you got to paddle". Just as you were looking for a straight answer and you ended putting some seasoning, it is hard for people to give you a clear cut answer. Everyone generously offers the collection of their experiences and those experiences differ among people. Then you factor in that this is the Bahamas. Apparently, the crew is supposed to stay on the boat while the captain is clearing customs. My crew was out buying rum. And even better the customs/immigration officials came to us as Bimini Sands instead of us going to airport.

Last year, I prepared a lot ( I ended up getting spider cracks on my boat by testing it in rough lake waters) and I had a subtle sense of arrogance to a point where I put on nice clothes so I look cool when I arrive in Bimini. Well..... 500 feet east of port everglades the confidence was gone when my stbd engine cut off during a hard landing and I arrived in Bimini as wet cat ......:wacky:

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Betik, no offense, but I really don't think you understood the intent of my comment. Just for clarification, I was being neither arrogant nor overconfident. My reference to "theoretical possibilities" was aimed at clarifying the point that I was looking for a specific answer to my question about passport cards. You seem to have read into it way more than intended.
With that being said, nowhere have I downplayed any of the very real risks involved with this trip as expressed by the members of this forum.

Also; I loved your use of "anus chasm". I have to say I've been called worse by better, but never as eloquently.

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Also; I loved your use of "anal chasm". I have to say I've been called worse by better, but never as eloquently.
OMG. I'm ROTFLMAO

--

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just a reminder to those who bring drones the Bahamas has enacted some laws on drones in the last year and a half. You now have to apply for a permit to be able to fly your drone in the Bahamas and this must be done in advance of your trip. There is an $80 fee to obtain a permit to fly and proof of insurance is required and required to be in your possession during flying. In last years thread I think I posted the email address of the person you need to contact to get this but not sure if its the same person now. I'm not the drone police and have never seen any police boats in the areas I would fly my drone over there but just wanted to warn everyone that if the proper channels are not gone through there is the possibility of your drone being confiscated.

Last edited: