• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2018 Bimini June trip (June 24th - June 30th)

tim h

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Trophy
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
@ThatJeepGirl

"THAT GIRL HAS A MOUTH LIKE A PISTOL, ALWAYS SHOOTIN IT OFF"
--Foghorn Leghorn

And we love ya for it !

Last edited:

vanmurray

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Went to West Marine today and picked up some gear for the trip. Was going to get a second bilge pump but got this instead. Think it will do the trick?

ACFED2A3-3976-4497-9ADA-B07A0BFBE30E.jpeg

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Went to West Marine today and picked up some gear for the trip. Was going to get a second bilge pump but got this instead. Think it will do the trick?

View attachment 68301
You may want to get a 2nd one incase the first one stops working... they look kinda cheap!

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length

vanmurray

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I’m sure it works great for a small amount pooled up or something. I love that store. Ended up with a big wish list.

C46FB354-96A8-4C69-89F0-1CE8DF35734C.jpeg 36312ED1-6826-4497-83DB-2EBC347312FD.jpeg E41674E1-32E1-4A29-8871-7C8DE4BB7B80.jpeg 574F7B50-018F-408D-A287-6EBE249C5B12.jpeg 7B420468-9CE0-4126-AF34-4F14746B2151.jpeg DE37DD7F-18E6-4146-8C85-3279DAD66A99.jpeg 858A9764-43A1-4596-A8EA-C2C52DEE28A3.jpeg
7BECA0D1-162A-4DDD-AD30-E3671D9AA9B8.jpeg

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

vanmurray

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
For a slightly better price checkout, https://www.thegpsstore.com/Standard-Horizon-GX1700-Explorer-GPS-Black-VHF-Radio.aspx plus this store has great customer service.
Thanks. I actually had that one on my Amazon list too, but West Marine didn't have it in stock. Anyone have one of these 1700 units? I like the idea of backup GPS and waypoint nav. I'm sure it's worth the extra $30. I think Scan-Dual Watch feature seems really useful.

It also sounds like external speaker is going to be necessary: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DOB3IPG/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I3I8WGX0HBT90O&colid=1M5GD4D6S8DNA&psc=1.

I actually do like the West Marine reward program. 4% back with Gold, plus I get coupons (latest is $50 off $300) and you get full BoatUS Membership.

AndyD

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks. I actually had that one on my Amazon list too, but West Marine didn't have it in stock. Anyone have one of these 1700 units? I like the idea of backup GPS and waypoint nav. I'm sure it's worth the extra $30. I think Scan-Dual Watch feature seems really useful.

It also sounds like external speaker is going to be necessary: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DOB3IPG/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I3I8WGX0HBT90O&colid=1M5GD4D6S8DNA&psc=1.

I actually do like the West Marine reward program. 4% back with Gold, plus I get coupons (latest is $50 off $300) and you get full BoatUS Membership.
We have the 1700, definitely worth the extra money for what you get. You can't hear anything on plane though so an external speaker is a must but that would be the same for any radio. We bought this one but haven't hooked it up yet. It can be standard mounted with the base or flush mounted. We're looking to flush mount but have to find a good spot first.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003G47KB4/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Does the 1700 need to be plugged into a GPS for the DCS to work. I'm looking for something where I don't have to permanently mount a unit to the boat or something that can be completly hidden and be just controlled from the mic you guys ever seen anything like this? I really don't want to mount an external unit like the 1700 out in the open if I can avoid it but have not found anything. Of maybe even a booster that a handheld can be plugged into and ran to an antenna that would be ideal but I have not found anything that would boost a handheld to 25 watts either.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Does the 1700 need to be plugged into a GPS for the DCS to work. I'm looking for something where I don't have to permanently mount a unit to the boat or something that can be completly hidden and be just controlled from the mic you guys ever seen anything like this? I really don't want to mount an external unit like the 1700 out in the open if I can avoid it but have not found anything. Of maybe even a booster that a handheld can be plugged into and ran to an antenna that would be ideal but I have not found anything that would boost a handheld to 25 watts either.
No external GPS antenna needed, it has an internal GPS antenna. This unit can also be hidden and use fully function remote (i.e. second station).

tim h

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Trophy
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Standard Explorer GPS VHF Marine Radio in White, model GX1700W. The New GX1700 makes DSC easy. With an internal 12 Channel GPS built into the front panel, there is no need to hassle with wiring the radio to a GPS for DSC.

From VHF description on Amazon

vanmurray

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I agree. I would love to find a place to flush mount VHF, but just seems like no good spot. Anyone found a place?

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No external GPS antenna needed, it has an internal GPS antenna. This unit can also be hidden and use fully function remote (i.e. second station).
Ok I listening can you elaborate on how it can be hidden and still used? If I can hide the unit behind the dash and there still be a way for me to change channels and adjust volume and such I'm in. I just don't want it permanently out in the open and if this can happen I can figure out a way rig the antenna where it can be removed after the trip and reinstall when needed. I don't mind the unit being fixed in the boat if I can keep it out of sight.

vanmurray

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
That's a cool idea. Maybe mount radio under helm behind door and have remote and speaker at dash? Assuming you need to buy a separate full function remote? Also assuming built in GPS wouldn't work under helm. Expect there are other units that are designed for this kind of install. Anyone done an install like this?

Already planning to add XM tuner this weekend. I'll take a look at locations. Just been using mobile data and app here, but can't go without tunes. Understand I need to surface mount xm antenna so there's that.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ok I listening can you elaborate on how it can be hidden and still used? If I can hide the unit behind the dash and there still be a way for me to change channels and adjust volume and such I'm in. I just don't want it permanently out in the open and if this can happen I can figure out a way rig the antenna where it can be removed after the trip and reinstall when needed. I don't mind the unit being fixed in the boat if I can keep it out of sight.
You would have to also buy the Standard Horizon CMP31 RAM3+ Mic at about $100, you wouldn't use the mic that came with the unit.
Standard-Horizon-CMP-31-Black.jpg

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You would have to also buy the Standard Horizon CMP31 RAM3+ Mic at about $100, you wouldn't use the mic that came with the unit.
View attachment 68320
$100 well spent for me to be able to remove everything. Except the radio itself I'm going to explore this option thanks!

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Does the GX1700 still have the ability to interface with your chart plotter? I know it has an internal GPS, which is nice if you have to send a DSC, but when a DSC capable VHF is connected to a chart plotter, you can see the location of any incoming DSC call right on your plotter.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Does the GX1700 still have the ability to interface with your chart plotter? I know it has an internal GPS, which is nice if you have to send a DSC, but when a DSC capable VHF is connected to a chart plotter, you can see the location of any incoming DSC call right on your plotter.
Based on my read of the specs it should communicate, http://www.standardhorizon.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=83&encProdID=8E6B84CBCC75E5A9C52CA71AA33BA6F5&DivisionID=3&isArchived=0

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you plan to hook it to a GPS anyway you can probably save some money and get the 1600 model. After just a few minutes searching @Andy S suggestion is perfect for what I'm looking for the remote comes with a 23 ft extension and a flush mount kit for the wiring so basically once installed I can simply plug the remote in to the flush connection and I'm set to go and when done just unplug it and put it away and there would be basically no signs of a VHF anywhere now to just jump on the boat and figure out how to mount an antenna I can easily remove later.