• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2018 Yamaha Limited S E Audio upgrade

Lion

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Really digging these new Polk M1. The color scheme fits my boat nicely. And they are crazy loud. I have 150 watts going to each speaker.
How do those compare to the Polk Audio MM651UMBS or the DB series?
As for the Wetsound subs, I think I’m with you on that one. I was looking at the JL Audio 10” M10IB5-CG 250W 4 ohms...

And yes, they do fit you your color scheme nicely

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How do those compare to the Polk Audio MM651UMBS or the DB series?
As for the Wetsound subs, I think I’m with you on that one. I was looking at the JL Audio 10” M10IB5-CG 250W 4 ohms...

And yes, they do fit you your color scheme nicely
Haha no comparison really. On paper they are simply the best 6.5 speakers on the market right now. No other one can run at 150 rms like these. They are an upgrade from the MM651 and the DB series. The MM1 are Polk's new platform. Not many can touch them right now. Not even Wetsounds, another over rated interior speaker.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you go with JL audio, go with the WV lines. You will be much happier. In my last boat I had 10" Wv3 and they were really nice.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Lion , what is the stock system in your boat? I’m not an audiophile and will be doing my last major refurb on my boat soon so may be interested in the head unit and remote (I already have aftermaket speakers and amps) so if sell you them to offset the costs of your new system please start a conversation with me.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Haha no comparison really. On paper they are simply the best 6.5 speakers on the market right now. No other one can run at 150 rms like these. They are an upgrade from the MM651 and the DB series. The MM1 are Polk's new platform. Not many can touch them right now. Not even Wetsounds, another over rated interior speaker.
That is a bold statement. I have yet to install my JLs but I fairly certain I could push a clean 150watts to them. I've run many speakers with 2-3x their rated power with no issue. Polks have never blown me away, I get them for dirt cheap and still don't use them.

What are the WV lines? Are you referring to the their car woofer line up? W6v3, etc?

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That is a bold statement. I have yet to install my JLs but I fairly certain I could push a clean 150watts to them. I've run many speakers with 2-3x their rated power with no issue. Polks have never blown me away, I get them for dirt cheap and still don't use them.

What are the WV lines? Are you referring to the their car woofer line up? W6v3, etc?
Lol. I have lots of experience with them tho and know their potential.

Yes I am talking about JL's subwoofers W v3 series. They are their top of the line subwoofers and are proven if that's the route you wanted to take. WS subs are old Focal Audio technology and I am not impressed with them for the price point.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Their W line is all pretty decent. There is better for they money without a doubt, but you get a top notch product. With that being said, none of marine-rated or suitable for IB. I have zero experience around WetSounds. Website looks cheap, but products are expensive. Personally I wouldn't buy them until I had hands on experience.

Lion

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Lion , what is the stock system in your boat? I’m not an audiophile and will be doing my last major refurb on my boat soon so may be interested in the head unit and remote (I already have aftermaket speakers and amps) so if sell you them to offset the costs of your new system please start a conversation with me.
Hey Ronnie, so the 2018 came with the Connext. It has a radio built in but I use the blue tooth and or auxiliary cord or even a flash drive connected to the usb.
As for the speakers, it came with Polk Audio.... DB series.... I believe. Here are a couple of pictures. Maybe someone else can tell from the picture which model it is, I don’t have access to the boat to check for sure. In storage 4 hrs away.
The tower speakers are only tweets I believe.

Attachments

Lion

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I do know one thing, while moving, I can’t hear sh....t!!!!.... lol
So looking forward to adding some sounds along with all the other upgrades.
And I have actually been learning from you all here at JB’s.
Learning from everyone’s trial and errors....and I do appreciate all advice and recommendations.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I do know one thing, while moving, I can’t hear sh....t!!!!.... lol
So looking forward to adding some sounds along with all the other upgrades.
And I have actually been learning from you all here at JB’s.
Learning from everyone’s trial and errors....and I do appreciate all advice and recommendations.
If you have the OEM WS sound bar, do as @jcyamaharider and push it with a good amp - apparently it comes to life!

--

Lion

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
If you have the OEM WS sound bar, do as @jcyamaharider and push it with a good amp - apparently it comes to life!

--
The 242 S E did not come with it. The 242 X E series comes with it...
I have reached out to jcyamaharider about his set up. I asked him to video his set up with it on to let us hear it.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The 242 S E did not come with it. The 242 X E series comes with it...
I have reached out to jcyamaharider about his set up. I asked him to video his set up with it on to let us hear it.
I remember he said his WS 10 bar was good and loud after re-power.
If he says it's loud, it must be pretty damn loud, lol.

Otherwise you can just add speakers mid-cabin, it works quite well.
I have 10 DB561s and they work very nice, especially considering the price, but must be adequately powered.

--

Lion

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I remember he said his WS 10 bar was good and loud after re-power.
If he says it's loud, it must be pretty damn loud, lol.

Otherwise you can just add speakers mid-cabin, it works quite well.
I have 10 DB561s and they work very nice, especially considering the price, but must be adequately powered.

--
I have definitely been thinking about all my options. And I like a lot of what everyone is doing.... decisions decisions....lol. I really am considering the sound bar along with 2 - 10” tower speakers. Will also be adding 2 more 6.5” In the cabin area like where Julian and a few others added them.
Best part of all is that everyone here... FloJet, CraigAR, Jaylex, adrianp89, yourself and a few others have helped with a lot of experienced advice and are steering me in the right direction.
One person even advised me to just re wire the system, add some amps, and keep the same speakers.... on another thread..... never even thought about that before I was told.

Lion

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Funny thing is that me being a High Voltage Journeyman Lineman, one would think that I should know about all this audio stuff, amps, speaker RMS voltages, but the truth is I don’t.... lol
Wire up and power a city, now that I can do!
So I’m learning from you all.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Still waiting on warmer weather @Lion .

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The greatest flaws to most systems is that the equipment is underpowered because one tried to go cheap on the amp. CANNOT go cheap on amp. I would rather go cheap on the other components but never the amp.

Brent Markham

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hello everyone I am new to this site and recently purchased a 2018 limited s e series like @Lion. I am adding an amp to the current polks I have on the boat, will do more when I have more money. I am going to use the polk 4000.4 amp for them. My question is how the heck do you wire up the amp to the new connext 12.3" display since the radio is integrated into it? I have been searching for a month on how everyone has wired to the their headunits but this new connext does not have RCA's, the "blue wire" fore the REM or connectors for wiring the speakers to the amps.

Does anyone have experience with this new technology?

Thanks in advance

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello everyone I am new to this site and recently purchased a 2018 limited s e series like @Lion. I am adding an amp to the current polks I have on the boat, will do more when I have more money. I am going to use the polk 4000.4 amp for them. My question is how the heck do you wire up the amp to the new connext 12.3" display since the radio is integrated into it? I have been searching for a month on how everyone has wired to the their headunits but this new connext does not have RCA's, the "blue wire" fore the REM or connectors for wiring the speakers to the amps.

Does anyone have experience with this new technology?

Thanks in advance[/QUOTE

The RCAs are actually coming out of the Polk receiver in the back of the helm. I think it's located differently on the 242s. Check by the battery compartment where the other amps are. Other wise it will be like the AR240s and be located behind the helm below the connext screen.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
My stereo has gone through many transformations over the last few years. The first setup was primarily Rockford. Now it was a few years ago and it was the Prime Amps so I'm not familar with their current line. It was a nice set up. Sounded great and would have satisfied most. Then I went with Exile audio amps, Rockford P3 sub in a ported enclosure, 4 Exile Audio XM9 tower speaker and still had the Polk audio in boats. That took it to another level. I was then offered support from my dealer to go all Wetsounds (or mostly anyway). Now I run 4 Rev 10's on the tower, a Wetsounds XXXv2 sub, (2) SD2 amps and (1) SD6 amp. I also have 6 JL mx650's on the interior. There is nothing in my neck of the woods that can come remotely close to competing with the boat now. It's pretty much ridiculous. For the record....I saw a couple of comments that I'd like to rebuke. My Wetsounds XXXv2 sub is incredible. I don't have any input on their IB subs, bit if you are doing a ported enclosure, I don't think there is a MARINE subwoofer out there that can compete. I also have an SD6 running 6 JL MX650's. That's 185 watts each! They have been on this amp for two full seasons now and are still doing just fine. It's all about clean power and setup. IMHO.... JL audio and Wetsounds have it figured out in the Marine industry. But I'll be the first to tell you that you can get a nice, budget friendly setup using the others like Rockford, Polk etc.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Something doesn't sound right. Those mx650 can probably handle 125 watts at max and that's still in the red without proper tuning. Pushing 185 watts to them have me intriqued. My question is do you play your music usually floating or driving around. Wet sound amps cannot produce their full wattage in float stage with 12.6 volts. But while moving when the alternator or stator kicks in, it gets it's full wattage at 14.1 volts. So If you are driving around and pushing that much wattage to those speakers, very well nice done. Most would blow their speakers out. Now if you were using the MM1 line then I can definetly see that. Congrats on the setup tho. That XXX sub is nice. Oh with only 4 Revs you would be drastically lacking in our neck of the woods. Lol. Most setups around here utilize at least 6 Revs or 2 410s' and up :p