• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2018 Yamaha Limited S E Audio upgrade

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
You are correct....floating I'm typically around 12.4-12.8 volts so yes, it not getting it's full 185 watts. Usually while underway, I'm looking at 13.5-14.1 volts (depending on how hard I'm pushing the stereo). So even then, probably not a true 185, but you get the idea. They are taking a ton more than they are rated for. Being here on the coast, we have a different boating demographic than you folks on the lake. While you are probably surrounded by powerboats, wakeboats and pontoons, here we have an endless supply of skiffs, bay boats off shore boats and a few runabouts. Stereo takes a back burner to fishing rods for most here. I have considered going with 4 more REV10's , but I'm not willing to give up my headroom. Where I have mine now, they are never in the way.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm so glad I don't boat in your guys' neck of the woods.
LOL.

--

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Haha I understand. Makes sense. Thank you for explaining that to me. I do forget the ocean life is just different than the dirty lake life. I too would have more fishing rods if I live by the coast. Bigger fish to fry ;)..
Ya the downfall of me having 2 rev 410s are I don't have any head room. But everyone have learned to just duck a little when walking by them. After a few bumps and bruises, you learn your lesson. Plus the benefit of all the dance moves I see out weighs it all I believe. LOL

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
IMG_20170826_200351.jpg 20160722_205202.jpg I considered a 410 as well. I could run the six in boats on 4 channels of the SD6 and that would leave me two channels to bridge for 585watts for it.....but once again....headroom. BTW...your leds look great as well!

Last edited:

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Very nice. You would get double the volume with that 3 some setup. Very nice on the Led setup as well. I bet the under water ones really shine thru the water there too. Geez you are already on the water? I'm so so jealous!

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
No this was last year. Don't think I'd double my volume though. Correct me if I'm wrong, but in order to double the volume, I'd have to double the surface area and power. A single 410 and 585 watts wouldn't achieve that I don't think.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ya but with the built in horns, they will project more and be way way louder than Rev 10s. It takes about 3-4 rev 10s to equal a properly tuned 410. My 2 410s can compete with 8 to 10 rev 10s but I am running 750 watts to each so that makes a difference. But 585 is still mean watts to a speaker that is not a sub. I would run 750 watts to the one pair of Rev 10 to really maximize them and put them closer to the 410 in terms of output/projection.

Lion

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Just wanted to update, still haven’t had a chance to pick up the boat. Ended up catching a bad flu that is going around. Laid me out.
I did manage to start with buying some speakers. The guy at the stereo shop tried to sell me some Kicker speakers so after telling him what I was looking for, and him still pushing the Kicker brand at me, I walked out.
I ended up finding what I think is a deal. Purchased 4 pair of Wetsound XS650 speakers at $187.50 set. So I will replace the stock speakers, 6 of them and adding 2 more in cabin.
Next buy is 2 sets of the Wetsound Rev 10 and some amps.
Question, would 2 10” work ok with 2 8” or would it be best to stick to same size?

Lion

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Also, what amps would work out good without breaking the bank?

Lion

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I was also considering a set of Rev 10’s and one 410 in the center.
So many options

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Holy crap, I guess you want to be heard in the next state? :p

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
JL makes the best marine amps but they are pricey. Very efficient amps and their salt fog, uv, moisture intrusion testing is second to none. Some folks use car amps. Make sure you go class D no matter what and if you are in the least bit worried abou moisture or salt air then don’t mess around and buy JL. Stay away from the known bargain basement brands as well.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just wanted to update, still haven’t had a chance to pick up the boat. Ended up catching a bad flu that is going around. Laid me out.
I did manage to start with buying some speakers. The guy at the stereo shop tried to sell me some Kicker speakers so after telling him what I was looking for, and him still pushing the Kicker brand at me, I walked out.
I ended up finding what I think is a deal. Purchased 4 pair of Wetsound XS650 speakers at $187.50 set. So I will replace the stock speakers, 6 of them and adding 2 more in cabin.
Next buy is 2 sets of the Wetsound Rev 10 and some amps.
Question, would 2 10” work ok with 2 8” or would it be best to stick to same size?
2 (10"), 2 (8") what? Are you talking about subs here or tower speakers? Bigger is always better regardless, if the room permitted for them. How many amps are you looking for? There is way too many questions to be asked in what type of set up you want. Any equalizers being utilized? All these will help others help chime in and help you with your build.

When it comes to amps, stay away from cheap regardless. If you have to save and get them later, go that route. I see too many mistakes with people running cheap ass amps. For the amount of speakers and subs you are looking for, You need the best of the best amps to be fully satisfied. Any WS speakers/subs need plenty and I mean plenty of power to them.

John Mcpartland

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
JL makes the best marine amps but they are pricey. Very efficient amps and their salt fog, uv, moisture intrusion testing is second to none. Some folks use car amps. Make sure you go class D no matter what and if you are in the least bit worried abou moisture or salt air then don’t mess around and buy JL. Stay away from the known bargain basement brands as well.
Why class D no matter what?

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Why class D no matter what?
Because they are the most efficient amps you can get on the market. They run cooler than A/B or any other class. On hot days on the water in boats, it's a must or you amp will over heat for sure. Even class D amps overheats too tho. That's why JL comes into play as being the best. Less likely to overheat. I've gotten my to overheat tho as it gets very hot in the south. You being in the north west, You should be ok not to use class d. But I would tho.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Efficiency is key on a boat. Means your amps won't draw as much power from your batteries. I wouldn't go as far to say JL makes the best marine amps, but they are in the top. I just installed my Kicker and I am very happy with it so far.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Efficiency is key on a boat. Means your amps won't draw as much power from your batteries. I wouldn't go as far to say JL makes the best marine amps, but they are in the top. I just installed my Kicker and I am very happy with it so far.
Now this is something I will argue and can prove you wrong. JL does make the best amps out there. Case close. I've tried them all and seen the best in action. Nothing touches JL. That I can guarantee you!!! Kicker has head quarters here in Oklahoma so I know way more about them than any. They are not even close to JLs category. I even have kicker amps in my truck. Yes they are good but nothing like JL. JL gives you true watts all way down to 11.5 or lower volts on batteries. Kicker all no other amp has the capabilities that I know of to date! That's a game changer in boats or even in vehicles that are stationary. I'm not crazy about JL products in whole, but they are kings in AMPS for sure.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
WETSOUNDS kings in tower speakers. Subs that's very very debatable. The others is not debatable.