• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2019 AR 195. Cranks but will not start.

Rising68

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It disables spark only.

If there's enough battery to crank, there's enough for the ignition.

Do you have kids? Could they have messed with the controls ?
It was me and my wife on the boat. I hope she didn't sabotage us. Lol

Rising68

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I went back to the dealer today. He said that it may have a "porous head" he said he believes water is seeping through the head into the cylinder causing the plugs to be wet. I have never heard of this issue before. He is contacting yamaha today to see what they want to do about it. I'm glad it's still under warranty. Sucks it's back at the dealer

Rising68

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I will let you all know what they find. Thanks again for all the info.

jdkaeser

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
If all the plugs are wet I would doubt that it’s a cracked head. That would require a crack running through all the cylinders which is a rare thing. Better chance it is a bad head gasket or a warped head but I would expect water would be getting in the oil. Did they check and see if the oil is milky? Only other way you get water in all cylinders is through the intake, which would mean the intercooler has a leak. That seems like it would be easy to find out if they pull off the charge pipe and check to see if water is in there. Those are my guesses. Hope it helps! Good luck!

Rising68

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If all the plugs are wet I would doubt that it’s a cracked head. That would require a crack running through all the cylinders which is a rare thing. Better chance it is a bad head gasket or a warped head but I would expect water would be getting in the oil. Did they check and see if the oil is milky? Only other way you get water in all cylinders is through the intake, which would mean the intercooler has a leak. That seems like it would be easy to find out if they pull off the charge pipe and check to see if water is in there. Those are my guesses. Hope it helps! Good luck!

Rising68

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Jd, I agree with you. I built a bunch of small block chevys and never seen one that had water on all plugs. I'm just stating what the mechanic told me at the dealership. The air filter was dry. And there was no water in the crank case. It honestly does not make sense to me that all 4 plugs have water on them. I didn't want to say this but today when I went back to the dealer to talk to their head mechanic UCLA he told me that "his mechanic seen the water on the plug and licked it". I almost asked them if I can please get my boat back and take it to another dealer. The dealer was supposed to call me back today and let me know what they are doing to fix it. But never called me. I'm going to wait until Thursday, if they do not have a plan to get it fixed I will try to find another dealer to work on it. Does anyone have a recommended repair shop in the Tampa Fl area. Thanks

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Jd, I agree with you. I built a bunch of small block chevys and never seen one that had water on all plugs. I'm just stating what the mechanic told me at the dealership. The air filter was dry. And there was no water in the crank case. It honestly does not make sense to me that all 4 plugs have water on them. I didn't want to say this but today when I went back to the dealer to talk to their head mechanic UCLA he told me that "his mechanic seen the water on the plug and licked it". I almost asked them if I can please get my boat back and take it to another dealer. The dealer was supposed to call me back today and let me know what they are doing to fix it. But never called me. I'm going to wait until Thursday, if they do not have a plan to get it fixed I will try to find another dealer to work on it. Does anyone have a recommended repair shop in the Tampa Fl area. Thanks
I would recommend getting a second opinion -

jdkaeser

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
This was bothering me so I did some more research online and found similar issues with some see-doos. I really think it might be the intercooler. If it has a leak it just ingests water straight into the intake manifold. The system goes Air Filter/Supercharger/Intercooler/Intake Manifold. So your air filter would be dry as a bone. This is usually more of a problem up north if you have some water trapped in the intercooler over winter and it freezes, then you can develop cracks. Sounds like you are in FL so freezing wouldn't have caused it but brand new parts fail all the time! I would have them do a leak down test on the intercooler.

Watch this video: Sea-Doo Intercooler Leak | 865 Powersports : Jet Ski Repair | Service & Parts | Powersports

I didn't run antifreeze through my boat this winter but I think I will in the future for nothing else than preserving the intercooler.

Rising68

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This was bothering me so I did some more research online and found similar issues with some see-doos. I really think it might be the intercooler. If it has a leak it just ingests water straight into the intake manifold. The system goes Air Filter/Supercharger/Intercooler/Intake Manifold. So your air filter would be dry as a bone. This is usually more of a problem up north if you have some water trapped in the intercooler over winter and it freezes, then you can develop cracks. Sounds like you are in FL so freezing wouldn't have caused it but brand new parts fail all the time! I would have them do a leak down test on the intercooler.

Watch this video: Sea-Doo Intercooler Leak | 865 Powersports : Jet Ski Repair | Service & Parts | Powersports

I didn't run antifreeze through my boat this winter but I think I will in the future for nothing else than preserving the intercooler.
Jd I really appreciate the info. I will ask them if they can inspect the intercooler. It makes sense if it's cracked all plugs could be wet with water. Boats been in the shop for 5 days. Thanks again for the advise

Rising68

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If the intercooler is cracked where would in t be sucking water from? Does it make sense for this to happen when the boat sits on the water for a couple of hours without being ran. Thank you again.

jdkaeser

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
If the intercooler is cracked where would in t be sucking water from? Does it make sense for this to happen when the boat sits on the water for a couple of hours without being ran. Thank you again.
The intercooler is water cooled. It uses lake or sea water pumped through it to cool the air charge from the supercharger.

Compatico

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The intercooler is water cooled. It uses lake or sea water pumped through it to cool the air charge from the supercharger.
That makes sense if the plugs were actually wet from water.

Rising68

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The dealer tested the intercooler and said it was good to go. They did a compression test. It was 140, 138, 138, 140 on all cylinders. They said it is running after changing plugs and cannot duplicate it not starting. They said I could pick it up. But this thing got me stuck on the wat ere r 2 times. Can't they pull a code and see what failed. I'm going to add plugs to my list of things to bring out on the water.

Rising68

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is there anything the dealer is missing

Mike Cardillo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Is the dealer on the water? Maybe ask them to go with you out on the water and check everything after a test run?

That really sucks - I would have the same reservations if they told me everything was fine.

Rising68

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is the dealer on the water? Maybe ask them to go with you out on the water and check everything after a test run?

That really sucks - I would have the same reservations if they told me everything was fine.
Very frustrated with this boat. I've had it for 5 months. Had to be towed back in 2 times. It sucks when the dealer has no clue how to fix it. I honestly think the 1 battery is not giving it enough volts to fire the ignition. Volts drop from 12.2 to 11.2 when cranking. Does anyone elses volts drop that much when you crank it. It normally fires off immediately. Boat repair guy hasn't called me back he is waiting on yamaha to tell him what to check next. Thanks again I will post what th hey find on it to may e help someone else out in the future.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Very frustrated with this boat. I've had it for 5 months. Had to be towed back in 2 times. It sucks when the dealer has no clue how to fix it. I honestly think the 1 battery is not giving it enough volts to fire the ignition. Volts drop from 12.2 to 11.2 when cranking. Does anyone elses volts drop that much when you crank it. It normally fires off immediately. Boat repair guy hasn't called me back he is waiting on yamaha to tell him what to check next. Thanks again I will post what th hey find on it to may e help someone else out in the future.
Can you get a UsB jump pack to try that if it fails again? That or another brand new battery that is fully charged and if it fails hook up the new battery. It wouldn't hurt to have a 2nd battery that you could install as a backup longer term.

I don't know about the water on the spark plugs and that diagnosis sounds suspect...

Compatico

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Volts drop from 12.2 to 11.2 when cranking. Does anyone elses volts drop that much when you crank it.
That's normal...cranking is the heaviest voltage drain on the battery. I doubt surface voltage is an issue - if the starter cranks over strongly, there's lots of voltage (and amperage) to light up the plugs. If the engine doesn't fire up, there's an issue.

I would be very concerned with "water" on the plugs. If the dealer says it's water, then tell them to find the problem as it's a safety issue since anything can happen if they don't know the cause, such as sinking and drowning (extreme exaggeration limits help here). Maybe escalate to Yamaha second level support and let them know what's going on. In my experience, the manufacturer doesn't take kindly to dealers that dismiss customers - note that front line first level are just personnel on a computer - you need second level where management cares.
:winkingthumbsup"

Compatico

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Can you get a UsB jump pack to try that if it fails again? That or another brand new battery that is fully charged and if it fails hook up the new battery. It wouldn't hurt to have a 2nd battery that you could install as a backup longer term.

I don't know about the water on the spark plugs and that diagnosis sounds suspect...
I agree...if it's water, there's a SERIOUS issue with the engine. A booster pack, like the Noco Genious packs are a good idea too, they crank over engines with a lot more reciprocal mass than these small marine engines. If the engine doesn't start with a 500+A booster, you have an issue.

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Has the fuel been tested for water?