• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2019 AR 195. Cranks but will not start.

Rising68

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I got my boat back today from the dealer. They were not able to find anything wrong with it. I asked them to replace one of the batteries. I hope it doesn't leave me stuck on the water again. Thanks again for all of your help

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
when you bring the boat home , set the trailer so that the boat is at an angle best suited for you to access the lowest point of the fuel tank from the filler cap, let the boat sit for a day then place a small tube in the tank to the lowest portion and siphon out a gallon of fuel into a clear container. If water is in the fuel you should be able to see it settle to the bottom of the container.
if the intercooler has a leak there should be evidence at the throttle body like corrosion or moisture sitting there often a leaking intercooler will cause a stuck throttle body due to the corrosion more so in salt water , not sure what type wateryou are boating in

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Any updates? How has your boat been running?

Rising68

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I was finally able to take the boat out again today. Sure enough the boat would not start. All four plugs were saturated with water. I removed the plugs cranked the boat with no plugs in it and it shot eater out of all four cylinders. I replaced the plugs and it started back up. Its back at the dealership again.

The air filter was dry
they pressure tested the intercooler. no cracks.
I filled the boat up with 93 pump gas this morning.

today I drove the boat for about 10 minutes, shut it off for 3 hours, tried to start it and all 4 plugs were soaked with water.

Have any of you had this issue, if so what did you do to fix it.

The boat has done this to me several times.

Thanks Tom

Rising68

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No it has not

Rising68

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Once I removed the plugs on the water and cranked it to get the water out. Reinstalled the plugs and it started up.

Sebastian

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Are you sure the plugs were soaked with water?
I've had restarting issues several times, low battery alarm and so on.
Usually, turning the power off for a minute (installed a battery switch) solved the problem with cranking around 10 seconds after.

Have been researching this and found several posts with other people having a similar problem.
Seems like shutting the engine off right after high loads ( wakeboarding, etc) causes an issue with too much fuel in the cylinder. Idling on neutral for 10 seconds before shutting the boat off and using the blower helped for me.

Rising68

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes sir, all 4 plugs and the cylinders were soaked with water.
The air filter was dry. I took a picture of one of the plugs with the water on it.

Attachments

Rising68

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How do I check the fuel for water. If this is the problem why would it start immefistly after clearing the water out if the cylinder and replacing the plugs. Sorry been having this issue for months.

Rising68

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Dealer came back and said it is not water in my fuel tank. They stated that they are working with Yamaha to determine what they are going to do. Have any of you had this type of issue with your jet boars? It only happens when I let the boat sit on the water for for a couple of hours. It has done it several times.

Cant trust that the boat will start when I take it out. Very frustrating especially since the dealership does not know why it is doing this.

Rising68

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Dealer found a cracked cylinder head. The motor had 50 hours on it. Problem started at 10 hours. It took them a month to get yamaha to approve replacing the head and motor. Got the boat back last week. Took it out yesterday and it gave me problems trying to get it started. It did start on my forth attempt. Got it home and pulled the plugs. The dealer put NGK 6s in it. But the boat required NGK 7s. I put the correct plugs in it today.

I hope this was the cause of my new issue. I did not see water shooting out of the cylinders like last time.

Rising68

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Are you sure the plugs were soaked with water?
I've had restarting issues several times, low battery alarm and so on.
Usually, turning the power off for a minute (installed a battery switch) solved the problem with cranking around 10 seconds after.

Have been researching this and found several posts with other people having a similar problem.
Seems like shutting the engine off right after high loads ( wakeboarding, etc) causes an issue with too much fuel in the cylinder. Idling on neutral for 10 seconds before shutting the boat off and using the blower helped for me.
Thank you for the info. I will do this in the future.

Rising68

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
when you bring the boat home , set the trailer so that the boat is at an angle best suited for you to access the lowest point of the fuel tank from the filler cap, let the boat sit for a day then place a small tube in the tank to the lowest portion and siphon out a gallon of fuel into a clear container. If water is in the fuel you should be able to see it settle to the bottom of the container.
if the intercooler has a leak there should be evidence at the throttle body like corrosion or moisture sitting there often a leaking intercooler will cause a stuck throttle body due to the corrosion more so in salt water , not sure what type wateryou are boating in
I did this and did not find water in my fuel.

Rising68

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have not been taking the boat out do to tarting issues.

Today I took the boat out fishing. we drove for 10 minutes to the spot. I shut it down for 2 hours. When I attempted to start it and the motor would seam like it was trying to start. it took me 4 attempts. The dealer replaced the motor several months ago do to a cracked cylinder head. ive been having these same issues since I got it back. Have any of you had issues with crank position or cam position sensors (Im not sure what these motors have). Im trying to figure out this issue. it sucks getting stuck on the water every time i go out. Thanks

Rising68

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So far I had the engine replaced.
gapped the plugs to .032
installed 2 batteries with a switch.
checked gas for water
the boat starts fine out of the water i only have issues with it when it sits in the water for an extended period of time.
thanks again

traderfjp

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I think you got a lemon. Where you able to find out the problem with the boat. Sorry you have to deal with this non-sense.

Rising68

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Update dealership replaced the engine and all plugs are getting sea water on them again,

They than replaced my exhaust manifold and it left me stuck on the water again,

Its back at the dealership. they tested the intercooler and said it is good. they swapped exhaust manifolds with a known good one and it is still getting ware on all 4 spark plugs.

THey are getting ready to replace the engine again.

What other questions should I be asking the dealership?

Thanks

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Can you pursue the lemon law and get a new boat?
Can you go to another Yamaha dealer for a 2nd opinion?
You could reach out to some of the experts to see if they could talk through the situation (Riva racing, Island racing, Big Bore Online, GroupK, SBT.... and others).

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I have to say the only thing I can think of based on what you are experiencing is the intercooler leaking water into the intake I have seen that more than once, I would want the intercooler replaced if they can't find any other cause!