• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2020 AR210 Stiff Steering

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Cobra Jet Steering LLC Yes I did. I also looked around the gas tank tank area and where it goes under the seat to see if it was pinched or kinked. Everything looks ok from the outside.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I really didn't want to drop $400 plus two day shipping on the damn thing, but I am really backed into the corner on this one. Deal with it, which sucks or lose access to the boat a month or so.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I really didn't want to drop $400 plus two day shipping on the damn thing, but I am really backed into the corner on this one. Deal with it, which sucks or lose access to the boat a month or so.
That really sucks. Do you have a lighter oil that might be able to seep in there better since it does seem to be clogged up with something? That gear oil is very thick.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I dunno, I can go get anything. What would be suggested?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
ok it was worth a try I thought it would do some good if not fix everything at least loosen it up.

MilesPrower

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Alright I was able to get a couple few ounces into each cable. 75 psi. I even took off the rack black box of the steering wheel. Nothing has really changed. When I turn the wheel slow you can hear a rubbing like friction and feel a slight vibration. It almost feels like it is coming from under the helm to the right where the cables loop down. I crawled back in there and everything looks ok. I am a bit despondent over it.
Here is where cables go through fuel tank area

Oh $h!t, this is jogging my memory.

I initially heard, felt, and thought the same exact thing!!!

So before I lubed the cables, I pulled the fuel-cell access hatch, cut all the zip-ties holding the steering cables in place, and "redressed" the steering cables so that they passed diagonally across the top of the fuel cell in a straighter path. This in turn gave me more slack where the cables do their upward and sideways loop under the starboard gunwale, so I was able to increase the radius of that loop. I also added a liberal amount of marine grease to the rack.

This initial strategy did reduce the amount of friction in the cable (and thus the scraping sound at the right of the helm) to enough of a degree that I was able to do a bit more boating before the next time I pulled the boat out of the water so I could lube the cables. (I keep my boat on a lift year-round.)

With that said, lubing the cables with gear oil fixed the problem entirely.

I can't say for certain if the oil made it all the way to the loop underneath the gunwale, since no oil dripped out of the rack (like it did for you), but after lubing the cables, I no longer hear or feel any scraping noise at the helm.

One other point I want to make is that modding the Cobra Jet Fins allowed me to perfectly align the steering. It's far easier to align the jets for toe/heel–in/out — depending on whether you prefer straighter tracking (heel-out) or a better wake for boarding/surfing (heel-in) — while the fins are attached and in their final position. Once you complete the mod, you can use the fins themselves to measure your target toe/heel angle (relative to the rudder) as you adjust the steering cable yokes. Moreover, adjusting the two rudder tie rods at this point is absolutely critical, because you need to manage the slack just right so that, between full-steering locks, there remains enough slack in the cables to prevent one cable from forcing the other cable into a binding state.

The imperfect geometry of the two rudder tie rods, coupled with three nonlinear rotation points of the jets and rudder, plus the three different points of rotation for the tie rods themselves, requires that a certain amount of slack exists in the system to prevent binding.

When you have everything aligned and you've adjusted the two tie rods for the perfect amount of cable slack, you'll be able to turn the steering wheel lock-to-lock without feeling any change in pressure... and you'll also be able to swing your rudder by hand and watch the steering wheel spin accordingly.

If anyone has access to their boat, a 2020 21', preferably an AR210, can you take some pictures of the steering cable coming from the wheel, how it goes out toward the side of the helm, the loop and it coming down going under into the floor right there? And post them? I would appreciate it.
I'll take a photo of my steering cables under the gunwale, when I'm back home from traveling.

And with all that said... I hope that in the future, Yamaha switches to a sealed hydraulic system for steering the jets. The fact that you and I (and I'm sure countless others) have experienced significant (and downright dangerous) degradation in the steering performance — less than a year after purchase — speaks to the inadequacy of the current design. In the meantime, loading up the steering cables with gear oil (and/or bees wax) should be a preventive measure that Yamaha or their dealers perform before delivery.

Last edited:

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I dunno, I can go get anything. What would be suggested?
I honestly don’t know. Anything non aerosol. They make actual cable lube, or bike chain oil, anything thin enough to get in there and loosen things up.
Maybe once it’s moving you could follow up with the thicker gear oil for better protection.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just annoyed, this week was supposed to be trolling motor week and I am dicking around with the steering now. :rolleyes:

MilesPrower

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Just annoyed, this week was supposed to be trolling motor week and I am dicking around with the steering now. :rolleyes:
That's the story of my life. (Except it's not my steering right now... but 10 other things that need fixing.)

One of these days, I'm gonna pull out that stooooopid bow ladder and replace it with a trolling motor mount.

Maineiac

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If anyone has access to their boat, a 2020 21', preferably an AR210, can you take some pictures of the steering cable coming from the wheel, how it goes out toward the side of the helm, the loop and it coming down going under into the floor right there? And post them? I would appreciate it.
Here is what it looks like on my 2020 AR210.

AC00E404-3513-413D-A2DD-7E947AC11D0A.jpegF9520F32-D0F7-45E1-BCF8-F1B0522CE194.jpegCE1BA81D-CB2E-40CA-84FA-D4299ECEB637.jpegA3B4CDBF-CC60-4DA5-A0BB-460D3AE07BCA.jpeg6549391F-EB98-4DE6-A2C0-9F538DFD5A1B.jpeg

Attachments

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks, mine looks the same with the same bend in the the same place, wanted to make sure the route was similar.

Also notice that your drain tube from the cupholder in the last picture just dumps out on the floor there which runs back on the carpet or around the cables there.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Following this closely, what a bunch of pissing around. Hope you get it taken care of ASAP.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It almost seems like it is kinked on the port side but I can't find it if it is. New cables will be here FedEx Friday before 8:00 pm. So Saturday I will be on it in the morning.

I also plan to review the existing cables and cut them apart to find out what happened. I will document it here for others, hopefully it will reveal something if it is not an isolated event with mine.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
It almost seems like it is kinked on the port side but I can't find it if it is. New cables will be here FedEx Friday before 8:00 pm. So Saturday I will be on it in the morning.

I also plan to review the existing cables and cut them apart to find out what happened. I will document it here for others, hopefully it will reveal something if it is not an isolated event with mine.
Are you going to ask the dealer to reimburse you on the parts?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I dunno. Not sure if they would. I guess once I can figure out what the issue is, and if it is failure then I will press the case. I sent an email this evening to my contact there letting him know my course of action. Will see what he says. I just want it working correctly. I have about a 2 week window on the Trolling Motor and Batteries to return them if I am not happy with how it is all going to mount, to Bass Pro Shops, so I need to resolve this and work on that.

May was supposed to be my fishing month, and it is ticking by.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@HangOutdoors Did you find a vendor that sells the cables before yamaha marks them up or did you buy the Oem part ? The older boats used teleflex cables and members indentified the part number that yamaha would purchase mine lasted 15 years in salt water use they were lubed similar to the way you are doing it . I did loose a shift gate cable the one thing I noticed was the sleeves on the new cables seem to oxidize much worse . These are the parts you can see by the jet pumps maybe the internals are oxidizing as well causing this binding . During winter storage every two weeks I grab the rudder and move it back and fourth vigorously to make sure it doesn’t gaul up . I hope it breaks free as a last resort put a drill on the end and try to get it to spin a few turns this worked on a shift cable but it was removed from the opposite end .

Yambers

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It is obviously bound up somewhere, and if it isn't in the routing, it has to be internal. I say go old school on it and go up and down the outside of the cable tapping it with the handle side of a screwdriver while pumping in grease while having some one gently move the steering wheel back and forth.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Yambers Did something similar but a couple feet is between the hulls where it goes under the driver's seat before it makes the bend up to the helm. Unfortunately you can't move that either without disconnecting so if I am going that far, may as well replace. I don't feel like going through this again in a short time.

Yambers

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Yambers Did something similar but a couple feet is between the hulls where it goes under the driver's seat before it makes the bend up to the helm. Unfortunately you can't move that either without disconnecting so if I am going that far, may as well replace. I don't feel like going through this again in a short time.
Agreed. Sucks that this is happening on such a new freshwater boat. I went out yesterday and sat in the boat (since it is to cold to take it out) and was thinking about your situation and thought to myself "I better see if my wheel turns".

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Fed ex shows cables in route from SBT for tommorrow delivery. And just picked this up from Advance Auto. And finger is pretty healed so i can use it for the most part

Its about to get real....

20210506_203640.jpg

Last edited: