• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2020 AR210 Stiff Steering

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well 42 degrees right now on its way to 60 degrees this afternoon. No time like the present to get started. Cables are here and I am full of coffee. Submitted for building permit on pool and they said two weeks for plan review. Figured I better get the boat tightened up quick, because if the building department turns out to be more efficient, the Admiral and Kids will put a moratorium on me working on the boat till I get the pool up. :rolleyes:

I am thinking about lubing them right after install or before and throwing some grease in the gear box. What do you all think? Going to at least put wax as @Cobra Jet Steering LLC recommended.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
20210508_072349.jpg

Yambers

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Well 42 degrees right now on its way to 60 degrees this afternoon. No time like the present to get started. Cables are here and I am full of coffee. Submitted for building permit on pool and they said two weeks for plan review. Figured I better get the boat tightened up quick, because if the building department turns out to be more efficient, the Admiral and Kids will put a moratorium on me working on the boat till I get the pool up. :rolleyes:

I am thinking about lubing them right after install or before and throwing some grease in the gear box. What do you all think? Going to at least put wax as @Cobra Jet Steering LLC recommended.
About 42 here as well. I have stuff I need to do to the boat as well, but for now I am just staring at the barn knowing the boat is in it.. haha

Maineiac

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Opened the bilge up again and there are no kinks or zip ties aroynd the steering cables. Was hoping for some luck. Starting to remove now.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Old steering cable is out. The nut ont transom was quarter turn barely to loosen then spun out by hand. Then a light push andit went through. A glob of sealent on the inside just fell out.

Surprised that wasnt leaking.

No kinks or cuts.

20210508_094638.jpg20210508_094641.jpg20210508_094644.jpg20210508_094648.jpg

Yambers

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The one with the yellow string on it looks "bent" towards the end. Is that normal?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I did that taking it out to pull through helm hole. Will put back in a different method

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Fyi i can move the new onew by hand in and out easily. Old one i can not

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was thinkin 4200 where it goes through the transom??? Any thoughts?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Clear/yellow globs of i dont know what. Poorly done. There are no gaskets or washers.

Maineiac

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Clear/yellow globs of i dont know what. Poorly done. There are no gaskets or washers.
Then probably some marine silicone or 4200 would be a good idea, yeah.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I also plan to review the existing cables and cut them apart to find out what happened. I will document it here for others, hopefully it will reveal something if it is not an isolated event with mine.
I would most definitely be interested in seeing if it's possible to take that black box apart and see what the innards look like on that thing. It seems like it's just a pinch crimp around the edges of that, but I don't have mine apart or haven't seen it so it may be more difficult than that.

My interest in that black box is to see if it would be a relatively simple and or easy retrofit back to the older style using some older boat parts. the original design seems to be way easier for the DIY service type person

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Agreed. Sucks that this is happening on such a new freshwater boat. I went out yesterday and sat in the boat (since it is to cold to take it out) and was thinking about your situation and thought to myself "I better see if my wheel turns".
I laughed so hard, literally, out loud at this as I'm reading this because I was thinking the exact same thing to myself! One of those forehead slapping moments

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Last edited:

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was thinkin 4200 where it goes through the transom??? Any thoughts?
Clean it super good, I might even try to abrade it a little bit with some very fine sandpaper, maybe if you have some 600 or 800 grit or even finer? Just to ensure that it sticks and seals and adheres well.

I would think 4200 would be fine, as long as you don't have to remove it later on to redo this at another time. For that reason alone, I would consider not using 4200, but I cannot fault you for using it if you have it. To my eye, it does not appear Yamaha used 4200, so whatever they used, likely silicone, seems like it should be sufficient

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think I saw one of your pictures that you had a bottle of gear lube. I would go with that first, while you have a new cable. Seems to me it would offer more protection than a thinner oil for Lube at this point, and you can always go thinner later on, next year when you have to lube it up, or keep going with gear lube.

If you do use the gear lube, take a 5 gallon bucket or something around the size of your gear lube bottle, and fill it with hot water, let that gear lube sit in there for 10 minutes or so to help thin it out at least a little bit for you

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length