• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2021 252SD Boattest performance disappointing

robby76

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
...has me wondering if there is a safety governor that is removed at 10 hour service at dealership?

when i picked up my 195 FSH CC the dealership team took my boat and me to Lake Lewisville in Dallas Texas for orientation.
was taught all i needed too know about my boat and the most important topic emphasized was for the first ten hours Do Not Go above 5000 rpm. Got It!
during this test drive at 4900 rpm speed was 32mph which i thought was too fast.
now, they are expecting my boat for the “first ten hour service” which i will comply (it’s my first boat ever”).

KCAR250

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I upgraded my 2006 sx230 ho to a 2010 242 LS in 2012. Although I love the 242 LS, it was the worst financial decision I’ve ever made. There were no performance Improvements nor an increase in seating capacity. We rarely use the head or tower and never use the jump seat option in the bow. Plus 2010 was the first year of the 240 series so I got the new gremlin of bad oil tank covers. Now with a kid in college and my boating habits changing / boating less, I wouldn’t buy a new or used boat Bow, especially not the first model year of it again. That is, I’m already in my last bow rider. Just got to make it last as a dingy for my retirement boat (something big, used and that I can comfortably spend weekends on, so I need AC, A tv, kitchen and a toilet, most importantly a slip to eliminate the need to tow altogether).

I felt the same way about recently selling my wife’s 2003 wavrunner and upgRadimg to a new 2021 waverunner. I know there is a huge difference in cost compared to boats but the logic still applies. Not much performance gain (non compared to my 2006 waverunner) lots of additional cost for what works out to some new features (e.g. cruise control and a brake/reverse lever along with a more complex user system/dash). Thankfully, this was my wife’s decision so I’m not in trouble with her, the cfo of our family.
...has me wondering if there is a safety governor that is removed at 10 hour service at dealership?

when i picked up my 195 FSH CC the dealership team took my boat and me to Lake Lewisville in Dallas Texas for orientation.
was taught all i needed too know about my boat and the most important topic emphasized was for the first ten hours Do Not Go above 5000 rpm. Got It!
during this test drive at 4900 rpm speed was 32mph which i thought was too fast.
now, they are expecting my boat for the “first ten hour service” which i will comply (it’s my first boat ever”).
i don’t think they do, SeaPoo does have that but I don’t think Yamahas do. All the 10hr service is is mostly just an oil change.

robby76

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
@KCAR250 “ All the 10hr service is is mostly just an oil change”

thanks for the heads up. good to know.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
i don’t think they do, SeaPoo does have that but I don’t think Yamahas do. All the 10hr service is is mostly just an oil change.
The new yamaha waverunner, at least those with the 1.8 liter engines don’t have a governor during or after break in that I know of. My wife’s waverunner has 3 hours on it , I took it to top speed of 57 at 7400 rpm at 2.5 hours.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Nope, 2019 SX190 is a completely different boat. Wider, longer, totally different hull.
Sorry I was thinking of the 21ft series when I said that.
:banghead:

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
This might depend on your dealer? At my 10hr they checked the engine bay and pumps for any issues and did a once over of the boat (at least it says that on my bill). I had a scratch and seat lock fixed too but those were warranty issues. Every dealer I spoke with said the 10hr should be done by a dealer to make sure all is good and for warranty, after that oil changes and maintenance can be done by the owner without affecting warranty. $300 was a bit pricey, but to ensure full warranty coverage for a $60k boat, I didn't argue the point for a one time oil change. I did the oil change at 50 hours and it was easier than I thought using a powered oil extractor.

Hooker47d

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Other
Owners manual says to keep it below 6k RPM for first hour after 30 minutes of 5k and below. And not to go full throttle for 1srt hour.

JetMania

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
On the Yamaha 1800 engines I recall the first 10 hours the top speed seems to be getting held back, possibly intentionally during the break in period, I know we discussed this a few times this in the past so I wonder just how many hours were on the boats they tested.
I’ve heard that too. How does it get “ungoverned” after 10 hours. It’s it programmed into the ECU or is it something that gets reset when serviced?

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’ve heard that too. How does it get “ungoverned” after 10 hours. It’s it programmed into the ECU or is it something that gets reset when serviced?
I have never heard of a yamaha being governed at all. Ran mine full throttle prior to 10 hours a few times.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Nope It could just be in the program that it changes it's settings at 10 hours I never bring in my stuff for service but it sure seems like it runs better after 10 hours I have had 4 , new 1800 engines they all seemed to act that way. but maybe it's just the rings seating or something. who knows. I recall the big thing was not to run at any particular R P M for an extended period of time , that definitely has to do with the rings seating.

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I don't know where Boattest preforms their test for Yamaha, but ilf it's close to the plant, then it's being tested at almost 1k ft of elevation. Depending on temp and humidity on test day, that could effect performance by up to 5%.
@F.M. also most engine manufacturers will tell you that engine to engine the performance can vary by 5%.

KCAR250

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
1000ft altitude isn’t going to effect performance that would be noticeable. It doesn’t start being a problem until you’re getting close to 3k ft. I’m not 100% on that though.

5% would be huge! You’re talking 18HP! I hope theirs was a crappy motor with 5% less and mine has will have 5% more

robby76

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
One of my fellow boaters all of a sudden coming to dock lost a lot of power. He tried trouble shooting, the first tried was to empty gas tank. Had been using regular gas with the 10% corn syrup make up. BINGO, about 5 gals of water in his 50 gallon tank. Told him to start using the recreational gas that is 100% pure gasoline. He found it and filled up. Says boat has never ran this good.
What scares me is when I picked up my boat from the dealer, they filled up the tank. I asked if they used the recreational gas, reply was NO just regular gas. So my boat is in storage with that gas. Even though I used Sta-Bil Storage fuel additive for 40 gallons, I’m keeping my fingers crossed I have no problems with it.
So, check your gas. Maybe drain it and if good put it right back. If bad, well you got the bad out, fill with the good and see.

KCAR250

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
One of my fellow boaters all of a sudden coming to dock lost a lot of power. He tried trouble shooting, the first tried was to empty gas tank. Had been using regular gas with the 10% corn syrup make up. BINGO, about 5 gals of water in his 50 gallon tank. Told him to start using the recreational gas that is 100% pure gasoline. He found it and filled up. Says boat has never ran this good.
What scares me is when I picked up my boat from the dealer, they filled up the tank. I asked if they used the recreational gas, reply was NO just regular gas. So my boat is in storage with that gas. Even though I used Sta-Bil Storage fuel additive for 40 gallons, I’m keeping my fingers crossed I have no problems with it.
So, check your gas. Maybe drain it and if good put it right back. If bad, well you got the bad out, fill with the good and see.
How long was his boat sitting for? 5 gallons is a lot! If you’re using your boat a lot you should have no problem using E10 in your boat. These Yamaha engines are built so they can use them. I usually use e10 in the beginning of the season and then start switching to rec gas towards the end. Even storing it with e10 isn’t really going to be any issues if you put additives in it. The only time it’s a problem is if you store it longer then 5 to 6 months or you don’t use the boat regularly in the summer. If you’re a boater that uses the boat twice a year then ya I wouldn’t do it. I can go through a whole tank of gas on a four day weekend no problem. The other thing to think about is where you get your gas. I have a couple places i trust more then others. I know a lot of people feel passionately about not using reg gas so in the end it’s your boat and arguments can be made either way but these aren’t the old boats so some of those arguments no longer apply. The owner’s manual says to go ahead and use reg gas too.

robby76

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
KCAR250,,,I just spoke with him. He said boat had been running great since April and this day all of a sudden engine started cutting out and dropped to 5000rpm than 4000rpm. Made way back to dock and loaded up. Called dealer next day and service center had already seen 17 boats with same problem, could drop off but it would be two weeks before they could get to...BUT he shared with him the first thing they would do is drain the gas and change fuel filter. So he took it upon himself and did just that and Wa La engine came to life. He said he has continued to fill up at marina station even though gas is a dollar more per gallon.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
service center had already seen 17 boats with same problem
Sounds like a station has a water intrusion issue with their tanks. I can't see 10% of the tank being filled from simple condensation. May be vandalism or similar too.

KCAR250

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Glad it worked out for him, interesting they suggested the fuel. I would of thought a spark plug. I think there has to be a bad gas station. There’s no way 17 boats have that much water in the tanks. I don’t think e10 could even ad that much water. Something’s way off.

robby76

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Agree, sounds fishy. Could very well be the gas station. This group gets together and all go out to same lake, I’m guessing they all stop at same station top fill up. Hypothetically, if the service station tanks are close to empty, the water ratio to gas might be higher causing more water to be pumped out. The Marina has a reputation to uphold and offers 100% gasoline at a higher premium.
Anyways, I apologize for hijacking this thread.