• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2021 252SD Boattest performance disappointing

Alan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just read the latest Boattest.com results for the 2021 252SD. Top speed is down from 50.3 on the 240 series boats to 43.8 MPH - so the outgoing model is 15% faster than the new model. DBA ratings are also worse than the 240 series. Overall quite disappointing.

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Same engines as the 24' in previous years , same pumps / impellers , but a boat between 800/1000 lbs. heavier (not including the extra fuel load). Not sure how the results could have been anything different than what they are ? Hit 51mph today on my 242 LSE on its FINAL blowout of the season. Full tank of gas (50 gal.) , bimini still on, glass smooth water and no wind with only me on the boat. Very satisfying ! Damn winter.

Ian S

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
OUCH... That's too slow... It's the same issue w the 2020 and older 210's w the twin 1.0L's.... 42.3 MPH w ideal conditions... translates to a slug on the water, especially when you are loaded up for the day. I guess I am now in the "boat" of stepping all the way up to the 255 and the 1.8L super charged motors. I saw that they were hitting 54 mph... that's a big difference for me.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Totally agree with the 42.3 of the older 1052cc 210s; but for that boat at least they are sipping fuel comparatively and offering exceptional range compared with later models still with the same size tank. Never felt 43 is a “slug” and beats lots of boats on the water; but for that dough, that slow and guzzling gas, I can see why some will pass.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Wow, that is quite a difference.....not good. A couple of weeks ago I had 3/4 tank, 5 adults and 2 kids and hit 48 MPH.

Stan M

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252S
Boat Length
I'm not sure I believe those boat test numbers. Had my 252S out 3 weeks ago and hit 52 mph with full tank of gas, gear and 2 Adult males onboard. With 3 Adult males, I consistently hit 48. I'm getting it out again finally this weekend and will verify.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
43-44mph. Seems pretty close since the SD is 500lbs heavier than your boat. Which would drop it down another 4-5 mph than your indicated numbers of 48 with 3 adult males. Give or take.

Would be interested to know what the AR250 or the 252s (or any 25') numbers would be with 8-9 people aboard, full tank and watersports gear to compare where I am currently at. My boat will hit 38 loaded up like that on a typical day. I max out with the TR-1's at 44 mph, 2 people full tank and gear minimal gear. Hit 45.2 one time but can't duplicate it. All these numbers are on GPS, Navionics and Phone App. Heavily thinking about the benefits I would get with spending another 25k+ on an AR250 25' vs possibly a 212s or standing pat for another year.

Last edited:

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I guess I am now in the "boat" of stepping all the way up to the 255 and the 1.8L super charged motors. I saw that they were hitting 54 mph... that's a big difference for me.
The 255 look real nice, but WAY out of our price range, especially with kids heading off to college in a couple few years. The Admiral would upgrade me if I ever spent that much on a boat or a vehicle. :rolleyes:

Stan M

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252S
Boat Length
43-44mph. Seems pretty close since the SD is 500lbs heavier than your boat. Which would drop it down another 4-5 mph than your indicated numbers of 48 with 3 adult males. Give or take.

Would be interested to know what the AR250 or the 252s (or any 25') numbers would be with 8-9 people aboard, full tank and watersports gear to compare where I am currently at. My boat will hit 38 loaded up like that on a typical day. I max out with the TR-1's at 44 mph, 2 people full tank and gear minimal gear. Hit 45.2 one time but can't duplicate it. All these numbers are on GPS, Navionics and Phone App. Heavily thinking about the benefits I would get with spending another 25k+ on a 25' vs possibly a 212s or standing pat for another year.
Don't think I'll be able to get you that information before I have to put her away for the season...but I sure will try;)

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know it would be a stretch for anyone, especially since it is end of season. Unfortunately, I may have to make a decision before the beginning of next season based on some assumptions, one way or the other. Any solid numbers would be greatly appreciated from anyone!

a dealer has already contacted me about a 252S I could of purchased two weeks ago and already had in the driveway - existing deal feel through, but I wasn't sure I wanted to spend that much and without really understanding the benefits to our use case and the slow info coming in because of delivery delays I passed. I am sure that another opportunity will happen between now and the spring, more than likely on an AR250 which I would have to make a gut call on and then deal with selling my boat. Admiral would stroke out if she came home and saw two Yamaha boats in the drive way. Although it would be a cool pic for my new signature I suppose :)

jim1

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The top speed difference is significant, IMO, but what may be even more noticeable driving it is the major difference in acceleration.

Boat Test clocked the 0-30 time of the 2019 242XE at 4.9 sec.

It clocked the 2021 252SD at 8.5 sec :oops: .

Granted, a more apples-to-apples comparison would be the 242SE (Boat Test didn’t test this model) vs. the 252SD, but I would think the equipment weight (ballast, etc...) would slow the XE down vs. the SE.

tkeru408

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I've posted a couple comments in the other thread about this (in the '2021 Model Year Information' folder), but I'll just mention here that I believe there are several eyebrow-raising questions with the Boat Test information for the 252SD. Without really trying, I've already hit a higher top speed in my 252SE than they did with the 252SD and I was carrying more weight than they reported they were carrying. I also think there are issues with doing an apples-to-apples comparison of their acceleration numbers and their sound numbers; e.g. they have the 252 producing the same dBA (~77) at 2500rpm that the 242 produced at 5500rpm--there's just no way that's true.

jocolo21

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
there's only a handful of time ill got WOT, i just cruise around at 30, usually when i go out its a 20 to 30 mile 1 way wot ill be refueling on the way back, i dont want a slow boat by any means but loosing a few miles per hrs and gaining in roomines is more important to me.

poidog

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
there's only a handful of time ill got WOT, i just cruise around at 30, usually when i go out its a 20 to 30 mile 1 way wot ill be refueling on the way back, i dont want a slow boat by any means but loosing a few miles per hrs and gaining in roomines is more important to me.
Agreed, I'm ocean and intracostal so I'll never get up to more than 30 mph probably. I would rather have better MPG than speed. I do think the boattest results are skewed and not correct based on real world reports of people with the SE. I have the SD on order and will be curious how it tests out on delivery.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The way that I look at it is you get what you pay for and you should know what you are buying. A lot of people are trying to determine what that exactly is. It is important to get Facts and repeatable test data to make an informed decision. When you look at the 24', 21' and 19' boats that have been out. The numbers and data points have been repeated over and over again, whether in third party tests or by members and owners on this site..... Which is an excellent source for information. With the new 25's, and new hull/design, they haven't. There is a test or two out there and limited numbers coming from owners as well as conjecture by extrapolation from others.

Everyone has a use case, that may be cruising around at 30 or going WOT or Watersports every day all day. Opinions on how each person uses their own boat are just that personal opinions, but really don't add to the value of finding out the facts and data points of the 25' numbers of speed, consumption, noise, range, etc. These numbers are important to some and will be scrutinized by individuals whom require or would like to see them to make a decision.

It appears initially, after a couple of actual owners here have chimed in, that the BoatTest numbers could be off or perhaps in error as with the db rating that seems incorrect or hard to believe at first pass. Of course it is the only 2021 Yamaha 25' test they have done. Hopefully they will do a second one on a different Normally Aspirated 25' model.

So yes, Top Speed, Range, Consumption, Sound, Space, etc are all important and some things may be more important to some while others could care less. At the very least for the 1.8 HO's, the 250 sx should have the optimum numbers and it will go south from there. How much per each model is yet to be fully explored.

I would very much be interested in hearing more from owners such as @Stan M and @tkeru408 as well as others and seeing some tested data points, as I am sure others would.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I've seen quite a bit of variability in these boats in the same model. Some do 52, others only do 45 - I think the delta is often how well the intake grate was caulked, the fit of the plugs, edges in the pump housing etc.

I suspect Boattest got their hands on a "slow" boat.

Sonic Blue

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Hi all! I’m new to boating and new to this forum. I’m in Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario Canada. I’m between 45 and 90 minutes from Lake Huron, Lake Ontario and Lake Eerie. I have the Yamaha 252SD on order. It’s my first boat ever. I expect to see it in the next 6-8 weeks, but the water will be frozen by then. So, I’m really interested in what those of you in warmer water have to report when your 252‘s arrive. I am confident I will be thrilled with mine... as I have nothing to compare it to... but I will be lurking and contributing as best I can. So, please accept my ”Hello” and I look forward to interacting with all of you!

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Sonic Blue Welcome. The 252SD is a great looking boat. I am just across the proverbial pond from you and can be in LSC, Huron or Erie in 30 minutes give or take were we boat a lot.

Stan M

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252S
Boat Length
@HangOutdoors and others, I will do my best. However, keep in mind, I'm new to the yamaha (and boats in general since 2006). So, I don't have much to compare it to, other than to be honest and tell you what others that have been with me on the boat (who are boat owners themselves) have expressed. I'm also concentrating more on learning the boat and not screwing things up, along with trying to enjoy the very limited time left in the season. I'm looking forward to getting my daughter on the boat for the 1st time (my 2nd time) this weekend - she's very excited...I likely won't be paying a lot of attention to stats, etc. at this point.