• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2021 Yamaha 25 Series Factory Quality Control?

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
:Welcome: Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new boat!

95% of what you mention are normal new boat commissioning issues.... a new boat is not like a new car. This is why the 10 hr inspection is so important. 2 hrs crawling through the boat will save you headaches 100 hrs from now. Honestly, I don’t think the dealer mechanic will have as much attention to detail as the owner would.

For the fiberglass and metal shavings, I put the boat on the trailer at a slight angle and used a water hose to move everything to the stern. I then just vacuumed what didn't come out the drains. It's impossible to get to all the bits just with a vacuum.

The fire extinguisher is most likely dealer installed....

I find it hard to believe that a dealer would have spent a week doing a PDI. What they probably meant was that they could get to it in one week. Then they probably charged the battery, started the engine and cleaned it inside and out.

I've looked at a LOT of boats over the years and generally, the quality, fit and finish and attention to detail from Yamaha, given the price point, is well above industry average.

If you want to see some really shabby work take a hard look at how travel trailers and 5th wheels are designed and assembled....
I agree 100%...

95% of what you mention are normal new boat commissioning issues.... a new boat is not like a new car. This is why the 10 hr inspection is so important. 2 hrs crawling through the boat will save you headaches 100 hrs from now. Honestly, I don’t think the dealer mechanic will have as much attention to detail as the owner would.

For the fiberglass and metal shavings, I put the boat on the trailer at a slight angle and used a water hose to move everything to the stern. I then just vacuumed what didn't come out the drains. It's impossible to get to all the bits just with a vacuum.

I find it hard to believe that a dealer would have spent a week doing a PDI. What they probably meant was that they could get to it in one week. Then they probably charged the battery, started the engine and cleaned it inside and out.

I've looked at a LOT of boats over the years and generally, the quality, fit and finish and attention to detail from Yamaha, given the price point, is well above industry average.

If you want to see some really shabby work take a hard look at how travel trailers and 5th wheels are designed and assembled....
I agree 100%. My boat is definitely well built with attention to detail. Like I said earlier, I’m a mechanic so I’m pretty meticulous. Not too much gets by me. I love my boat and look forward to her maiden voyage soon. Thanks for your comments.

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
1st trip is always special.... we did ours on a weekday so the boat ramp wouldn't be a zoo and were able to take our time and not miss or break anything. I've found I was able to launch and recover solo very easily (thank goodness for bunks and not rollers).

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
1st trip is always special.... we did ours on a weekday so the boat ramp wouldn't be a zoo and were able to take our time and not miss or break anything. I've found I was able to launch and recover solo very easily (thank goodness for bunks and not rollers).
That’s my plan. On a weekday because I’ll be solo. Just put on guide posts with LED brake lights. Curious to see how it works out.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length

Agreed, I have now realized the dealer did some of the installs, batteries, fire extinguisher, etc. I was so excited to take delivery of the boat. It was only later I realized they didn't go over s*** with me.

TwoSips

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Geesh the hits continue... I'm trying to remain optimistic, but our local service shop says, I more than likely received a "Friday Afternoon" boat from the factory.

Specs - 10 Hours at the time of launch into San Diego Harbor - water temp 64 degrees F - roughly 8-10 kts crosswind - 69 degrees F air temp. Slightly rough water with a bit of chop.

1 hour into water - port engine high temp alert (both relief ports were still spitting out) - opened engine compartment, no abnormal or extraordinary heat. Check engine light alert constantly popping on for starboard engine. High temp alert goes away after just shutting port engine off and limping back to port. Then a series of digital failures start screaming at us off the Connext screen. Throttle control lost alert, Steering control lost alert, Joystick disabled alert (none of those things happened - but was scary as heck to see them). As we load the boat on the trailer and start the climb out of the ramp - the starboard side convertible seat pops right off and almost falls off boat. Come to find out, all 4 screws just fell out and the last outing loosened the two that remained holding it in place until we pulled out of water. Then after we started cleanup and wipe down - a spider like crack was detected in the gel coat... :-(

Our local service shop was SO helpful today. They called Yamaha - lit them up and got almost everything settled for repairs - they're trying to fight the gel coat issue, but the service manager got the regional involved and more than likely will approve it's repair as the spider crack was RAISED, which means it wasn't in impact, but an issue with an air pocket in the hull that wasn't properly removed prior to applying the gel coat. Also the reason why the systems went bonkers was come to find out, we had the INCORRECT version of the Connext OS installed. It was just a matter of time until it went koo-koo according the service manager.

I need someone to tell me, it'll all be better soon. This has been a little bit much for my first boat. :p

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Geesh the hits continue... I'm trying to remain optimistic, but our local service shop says, I more than likely received a "Friday Afternoon" boat from the factory.

Specs - 10 Hours at the time of launch into San Diego Harbor - water temp 64 degrees F - roughly 8-10 kts crosswind - 69 degrees F air temp. Slightly rough water with a bit of chop.

1 hour into water - port engine high temp alert (both relief ports were still spitting out) - opened engine compartment, no abnormal or extraordinary heat. Check engine light alert constantly popping on for starboard engine. High temp alert goes away after just shutting port engine off and limping back to port. Then a series of digital failures start screaming at us off the Connext screen. Throttle control lost alert, Steering control lost alert, Joystick disabled alert (none of those things happened - but was scary as heck to see them). As we load the boat on the trailer and start the climb out of the ramp - the starboard side convertible seat pops right off and almost falls off boat. Come to find out, all 4 screws just fell out and the last outing loosened the two that remained holding it in place until we pulled out of water. Then after we started cleanup and wipe down - a spider like crack was detected in the gel coat... :-(

Our local service shop was SO helpful today. They called Yamaha - lit them up and got almost everything settled for repairs - they're trying to fight the gel coat issue, but the service manager got the regional involved and more than likely will approve it's repair as the spider crack was RAISED, which means it wasn't in impact, but an issue with an air pocket in the hull that wasn't properly removed prior to applying the gel coat. Also the reason why the systems went bonkers was come to find out, we had the INCORRECT version of the Connext OS installed. It was just a matter of time until it went koo-koo according the service manager.

I need someone to tell me, it'll all be better soon. This has been a little bit much for my first boat. :p
That sucks...I haven’t taken my maiden voyage yet. I need to get my ass out there and see what’s up. The worst is the gel coat, that really sucks. The mechanical stuff is no big deal. Glad you didn’t get stuck!

topgun7214

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Got my 2020 AR240 new last year, your going to have the fiberglass jell coat bubbles, I had 3, Yamaha fixed all no problem. Dealer told said it was part of the warranty. As for the all the fiberglass shavings, all i can say "vacume, vacume, vacume" they will come out the rear drain when you pull the boat out for a while. I got my boat obviously pre-covid and I was scared as hell the first time I got the first starboard engine alarm. My dealer walked me threw troubleshooting over the phone and it worked, then he told me "drive it like you stole it" (this was after the break in) he said " if the engines get damaged this is the time to do, its under warranty. I did what he said and everything in the end was corrected. The fella that docks beside me has a 10 year old Formula he bought used, even he gets fiberglass shaving and metal shavings out the back side. Enjoy your boat, its under warranty and like anything else mechanical, things happen.

NewGuy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length

That sucks man. Hopefully that‘s it for your bugs. No excuses. If the assembly and manufacturing is slow, the boats need to leave the factory without stupid mistakes.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
obviously missing marine mat would not be normal. the boats dont come with the mats installed from the factory. they are usually wrapped up or stuffed under a seat somewhere and the dealership snaps them in place. at some point along the line a couple were misplaced somewhere. not hard to remedy that situation. the dealer should be able to get the replacements in a few days. i wouldnt sweat that one and i wouldnt call this a qualits control issue. just one of those things that happens

missing cooler, a while back i heard that was one item that yamaha was having trouble getting. at this point why hold up a boat delivery over a cooler. give the customer their boat and get them the cooler later when it comes in. that makes sense to me. dealer should be on top of getting you one as soon as available. between you and me though, they are not the best coolers anyway. even the engle that came with my 275 was small and compared to a yeti its pretty crappy. thats the first thing to go when the season starts for me.

yamaha as well as most small boats dont usually have really nice finished edges on openings. should they be nice...absolutely but i dont think your going to start seeing really nice finished edges until you get into the upper end boat mfg's. while 80k is alot, its the low end for a boat. our cheapest boat starts at about 350k and all the cut edges on glass that is visible are all sanded and gelcoat brushed on them after the cut. no raw glass is visible BUT of course now your paying for a bot of that level.

the fiberglass pieces all over is something you will get on any new boat build from most mfg's. tons of crap always gets dropped in the bilges during construction and gets caught in that cheap ass grey carpeting they line the storage compartments with. name of the game. tip the tongue of the trailer way up and get in the boat with a hose. start up front and flush all that crap back out the drain plug.

loose carpeting, i hear ya. the storage compartments should be better
I wish I was missing my cooler. On the build invoice it states “integrated cooler included” . I got a cheap igloo cooler on wheels that was crammed into the locker. That is not integrated. Come on man

ken4motion

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Just picked up a 252SE yesterday. Looks pretty good except for a swim platform speaker not working. I also found that the windshield pass through does not close properly and there is metal on metal contact at the upper corner where it closes. I'll have to look at it more once the weather cooperates more up here in the NE....

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Dealer should of caught that...Congrats on the new boat!

TwoSips

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Just picked up a 252SE yesterday. Looks pretty good except for a swim platform speaker not working. I also found that the windshield pass through does not close properly and there is metal on metal contact at the upper corner where it closes. I'll have to look at it more once the weather cooperates more up here in the NE....
Honestly, I don't know what I would have done without the dealership. After my aforementioned experience with Yamaha direct, the sales rep that works with the dealership has been nothing but amazing. As I'm learning, best overall experience will be with the dealership in helping to correct things. Enjoy!

TwoSips

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Yeah I had the starboard side transom speaker go out after about 6 hours. Dealership has already done 10 hour service and the replacement speaker is still on backorder to be shipped, so we're just going without, but honestly, water being as chilly as it is, we're mostly just cruising and enjoying the speakers in the pilot house.

Sotally Tober

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Yeah I had the starboard side transom speaker go out after about 6 hours. Dealership has already done 10 hour service and the replacement speaker is still on backorder to be shipped, so we're just going without, but honestly, water being as chilly as it is, we're mostly just cruising and enjoying the speakers in the pilot house.
I guess it's time to upgrade the speakers to WS 6.5 Revos! They are a direct replacement and can order directly from WS.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

I could be wrong but it sounds like you may have had a dying battery, or some loose connections, could be the main battery terminals. Or both.
Curious what did the dealer say about your electric gremlins and the reason all those alert codes were thrown.
Bet you, all those codes will go away afetr tightened up terminal connections and/or new batterie(s), with a few minutes of reset w/everything disconnected from power.

--

TwoSips

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I guess it's time to upgrade the speakers to WS 6.5 Revos! They are a direct replacement and can order directly from WS.
You are legend! I'm going be to do some serious audio upgrade. Thanks man!

TwoSips

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I could be wrong but it sounds like you may have had a dying battery, or some loose connections, could be the main battery terminals. Or both.
Curious what did the dealer say about your electric gremlins and the reason all those alert codes were thrown.
Bet you, all those codes will go away afetr tightened up terminal connections and/or new batterie(s), with a few minutes of reset w/everything disconnected from power.

--
Hey Swatski, I know my "Woe is me" rant was long, but what they did discover was that it had a VERY outdated Connext OS on it. It was so old that the code was doomed to fail at some point. Like my service manager said, "I got the Friday last boat of the night on the factory line Special." HAHA

Once they upgraded, EVERYTHING started to function as it should. Crazy right??!

Mully262

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SD
Boat Length
The dealer is responsible for the majority of the items you listed IMO. After transport, the boat SHOULD go through fit/finish, QA, and cleaning. Tons of fiberglass? Should have been cleaned. Some fiberglass, to be expected.

The poorly cut holes would be most concerning from a factory perspective. Where are you talking about?

scbruet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Hey Swatski, I know my "Woe is me" rant was long, but what they did discover was that it had a VERY outdated Connext OS on it. It was so old that the code was doomed to fail at some point. Like my service manager said, "I got the Friday last boat of the night on the factory line Special." HAHA

Once they upgraded, EVERYTHING started to function as it should. Crazy right??!
Do you know which version of the Connext OS we should have? I better check mine...

1WetBoat

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you know which version of the Connext OS we should have? I better check mine...
How do you even check it? Not sure i have seen a screen to check the version.