• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2023 Yamaha A220 vs 195S

Robocop1839

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Just trying to get some thoughts on the 2023 Yamaha AR220 vs 195S. I am new to boating and this would be my first boat purchase. Boat would be used on Long Island in the South Bay. In a perfect world I would just buy a 222S and end my search. The 195S has some nice features that I like but am concerned it could possibly be to small and a little rough. I would only be taking out six adults including myself. I am torn between the two and just trying to get some opinions. Also, do you think it would be wise to even think about going into the ocean with any of these boats? Interested in hearing your thought, thx

For me, it would be a no brainer, the AR220. Larger boat with higher freeboard and a much larger fuel tank. I also love the new rear seating on the AR220 as they mimic those on the AR250. A lot of folks also prefer having dual engines when running in the ocean.

i would watch the weather and pick my days with either boat, but I think the AR220 would offer more days of boating.

Jim

No brainer. Always go bigger. When you own a boat you will always have friends plus your family always wanting to go. I never go out with less than 10 ppl on my boat. Sometimes it’s kind of annoying.

Yeah this isn’t even a question . 22’

Appreciate the feedback guys, thx for giving me your thoughts

As the others have said, get the 22’ boat.

The questions that were posed to me when I was going to buy my boat;
-What are you going to use the boat for?
-How many people are going to be going out on the boat?
-How often are you going to use the boat ?

Im also a first time boat owner, and while my boat is different from the object of your desire, I’m very glad I got the 21’ boat over the 19’ boat! I usually boat by myself and I like having the space, I can’t imagine how cramped it would be when I take a few friends out with a 19’ version of my boat. My friend who has a lot of boating experience was trying to guide me to the smaller boat, but I had said that I wanted the bow seating and more space for when our mutual friends came along, and I wanted the twin engines. When I had the boat for about a year my friend said he was glad I went with the bigger boat.

There was another thread recently regarding your question, I don’t recall who posted it, you might try posing your question in the search engine.

As to your question about taking it in the ocean, this has been discussed in at least one thread I know of, and the answer is yes you can take these boats in the ocean! The 22’ will be better suited to that endeavor than than the 19’ as the water starts to get bigger. As also discussed in many threads here, just be sure and flush the engines with plenty of water and salt away, there’s some owners on here who have lots of hours of use in salt water with no issues.

Another advantage of the 22’ boat is twin engines, by using each engine individually, one forward and one reverse, you can dramatically increase the maneuverability of your boat in and around the dock or other boats.

Just trying to get some thoughts on the 2023 Yamaha AR220 vs 195S. I am new to boating and this would be my first boat purchase. Boat would be used on Long Island in the South Bay. In a perfect world I would just buy a 222S and end my search. The 195S has some nice features that I like but am concerned it could possibly be to small and a little rough. I would only be taking out six adults including myself. I am torn between the two and just trying to get some opinions. Also, do you think it would be wise to even think about going into the ocean with any of these boats? Interested in hearing your thought, thx
I'm selling my ar192. Great starter boat for waaayyy less money :)

Do the 195s, if they are true friends they will get their own boat.

1000lbs. less, what are towing with?
2 vs 4 tires.
less fuel.
only 1 motor to look after.
less cleaning and waxing.
higher price twin motors opens up other brand offerings.
arguably more fun.

We downsized from a 23' 5000lb. sport cruiser to 195 sport center console and are very happy with that choice! no salt here.

There really are pluses and minuses to each boat. Personally I’d go with the bigger boat. Our quest started us out looking for a 19’ to replace our little 17’ we used to have. We ended up going with the 21’ because we new we’d end up wanting bigger eventually. I’m already wanting an AR250 and kick myself for not going big enough (who knew how popular we’d become in the summertime ?).

Last edited:
Let me say, both would be great boats.

As someone who had a 195 and went to a 212 I would say without a doubt go to the bigger boat. 6 adults in a 19 is quite crowded. Plus, the 195 has the supercharged engine that takes high octane fuel where as the NA twins run regular unleaded and the fuel consumption is a dead heat between the two.

Not sure how the smaller AR engines are but the hole shot thrust in the 212 compared to the 195 is night and day. Way easier to maintain plane with the duals at lower speeds than the single as well especially when you weigh it down with 6 people.

Let us know what you land on and of course share pictures!

2 vs 4 tires.
less fuel.
arguably more fun.

We downsized from a 23' 5000lb. sport cruiser to 195 sport center console and are very happy with that choice! no salt here.

Less fuel is not correct, the twin TR-1’s get better milage than a single SVHO engine, at least in my style of boat application. And the AR220 carries 70 gallons of 86 octane fuel vs. the 40 gallons of premium fuel for the 195S, less expensive fuel and more fuel = more time on the water for less money. The range of the AR220 is going to be much greater than the 195S.

Again, my boat is different but these two tests illustrate the fuel usage, in similar boats, with the 195 being a 1000#’s lighter than the 210, but the MPG of the 195 is 2.9 compared to the 3.5 MPG of the 210.

195 FSH Sport w / single 1.8L SVHO engine.

210 FSH Sport w / twin TR-1 engines.

JetBoat Pilot has done a couple of excellent recent videos on the new 22’

With respect to some of the other forum members, there is no way the 195S is a superior boat to the 220 where the OP plans to boat. Personally, I think a used 210 would be a better boat in this location, and the 220 is a better boat than the 210 for coastal areas.

Jim

The only advantages the 195 has are cleaning, storing, and maintenance. The boring stuff. If you were taking a 5 minute trip to the sandbar, I’d reccomend the 195. You mentioned the ocean, so the 22’ is a no brained.

2 vs 4 tires.
less fuel.
arguably more fun.

Towing with a 2021 Ford Ranger xlt, has 7500 lb towing capacity

Towing with a 2021 Ford Ranger xlt, has 7500 lb towing capacity

That’s more than enough! The AR220 on the trailer full of fuel is 5158# with no cargo and gear, that leaves plenty of tow capacity for cargo and gear on the boat.

That reminds me, storage capacity, the 195S has 422 gallons of storage capacity, and the AR220 has 502 gallons of storage capacity.

If you have not downloaded the Yamaha boats app onto your device, suggest you give it a thought. There is a comparison function where you can pick multiple boats and compare all of the different aspects side by side. Just saw another thing that may interest you, the 19’ boat has an 18* dead rise while the AR220 has a 20* dead rise, the 18* will make it more prone to pounding in bigger water, the 20* dead rise will cut through the bigger water better.

BE9D2D1E-8426-422F-958A-222D73A375D5.png

Last edited:
I personally do not like the TR-1s. I would either get the 195 or just go all out and get the 250.

Back