• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

243 Porta potty question.... Odd!

geierb387

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Odd question... I'm not sure I quite understand the difference between a pump out porta potty and a regular porta potty on a chaparral 243(0). I understand some boats have a holding tank but surely a 24-ft chaparral does not?!? Can someone explain the difference between the two types that seemed to be available. I'm shopping and I just want to be educated. Thanks!

waternutt

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
On my 243, the "holding tank" is just the holding tank of a regular porta potty. Mine came plumbed to pump it out, but it seemed it would be more work than benefit. I just unhooked the plumbing, capped the connection points, and I use it like a regular porta potty by lifting it out and dumping the tank into the toilet.

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I believe the pump-out plumbing gets you around the laws in areas that don't allow porta-pottys.

(I could be wrong. I haven't had any coffee yet this morning.)

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Odd question... I'm not sure I quite understand the difference between a pump out porta potty and a regular porta potty on a chaparral 243(0). I understand some boats have a holding tank but surely a 24-ft chaparral does not?!? Can someone explain the difference between the two types that seemed to be available. I'm shopping and I just want to be educated. Thanks!
Porta-Potty w/holding tank: The waste is stored in a separate location with plumbing in-between.
Porta-Potty: The waste is inside the unit.

geierb387

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
On my 243, the "holding tank" is just the holding tank of a regular porta potty. Mine came plumbed to pump it out, but it seemed it would be more work than benefit. I just unhooked the plumbing, capped the connection points, and I use it like a regular porta potty by lifting it out and dumping the tank into the toilet.
Thank you!

Jakester1967

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I have the pump out on my 2430 VRX and have actually never "used" it as of yet, only #1 thus far from the females. Just disconnect and dump... I feel it is a good thing to have if "things" other than #1 of my self or wife do to get rid of...Kinda gross I agree but it is a good feature that if needed will be used.

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Get the blue RV liquid and use the RV (dissolving) toilet paper. It keeps the smell down and makes clean-up a little easier.

To use the RV liquid, you pump a little water into the bowl and add the appropriate amount of blue liquid then dump it into the tank. Do this BEFORE anyone uses it (I usually do it when I take it off the shelf in the basement before it ever makes it to the boat.) Our porta-potty has zero smell.

Wear rubber gloves and use pine-sol liquid to clean. It's not what I would call a "pleasant" chore, but it's not horrible. You'll want several rinses after the initial dump followed by a shot of pine-sol and a lot of water in the holding tank. Close everything up and shake the crap out of it (if you'll pardon the phrase) then dump, and rinse some more. Naturally you'll want to clean the bowl, seat, etc as well.

We have the benefit of having our downstairs bathroom near the front door - and our garden hose is near that. So the actual cleaning takes place just off the sidewalk in the grass with the dumping happening in the toilet a few steps inside the door. Trust me - you'll want to have this all worked out before you start.

Our kids (and sometimes us) use our porta-potty for #1 all the time. We've had the occasional #2 from them in emergencies when they were little.

We've had ours for 10 years and it still looks and smells like new.

Recoveringfiberglassaddic

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
We sold a 28' Regal 2 years ago with a head. Sales guy mistakenly told the customer it had a holding tank. Everyone used it until it was overflowing and they brought the boat in to the shop. That was literally a sh!t job.