• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

After thoughts on Intermediate bearing grease / gear oil lube.

jamesk

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just added gear oil to my intermediate bearings on my 2017 SX210.
I unscrewed the zerks ( checked the old grease was not hard) and added gear oil with a syringe as others have recommended.
Just FYI ran into some trouble because as I added the gear oil the air tried to escape from the bearings causing a bubble that limited the amount of oil that would flow and was a little more mess than I was planning.....was hard to tell if it was full. I had some small plastic tubing that I would put in the hole lightly that would help the air escape...but it's also hard to reach all the way back to this spot in the engine compartment and see what you are doing.

Not sure how I wll go about doing this next time, maybe I will unscrew the zerks and temporary install a fitting with some type of tube that I can fill with gear oil, let it sit and let it take it's time "dripping" into the bearing as any air slowly escapes back up the tube and than put the zerk back on.

Maybe someone has a suggestion or a method they used that worked better for them?

Would like to see a youtube video on it. I know it needs to be done but I am scared of fucking something up.

You are not going to mess anything up as long as you have the slightest sense of feel on a grease gun, as soon as you feel the resistance increase stop. Or just go by what the manual shows, the manual shows to grease the bearings, they take X amount of grease in CC’s, so get some sort of a measuring device, I used an irrigation syringe the first time with a zerk screwed into the end to measure the amount of grease each pump of the handle put out, then applied that many pumps being cognizant of any resistance change.

There’s a linked video here somewhere about a guy pushing grease until it starts coming out between the metal mating joints, that is NOT the way to do it, that’s how you mess things up and blow out a seal.

My thoughts on intermediate bearing sevice,
Not messing with it, Dealer advises plenty of grease in there. The hose is to allow expansion of the grease when it warms up, not going to pack it full. We are fresh water only.
Salty guys may have to do different.

My thoughts on intermediate bearing sevice,
Not messing with it, Dealer advises plenty of grease in there. The hose is to allow expansion of the grease when it warms up, not going to pack it full. We are fresh water only.
Salty guys may have to do different.

That’s an interesting position taken by your dealer considering this is what your owners manual states… I don‘t see a hose on yours either.

BC35A8B1-A237-4BFB-B3AF-400A98F832CB.jpeg

That’s an interesting position taken by your dealer considering this is what your owners manual states… I don‘t see a hose on yours either.

View attachment 203128
Uh oh. We have the same dealer so I’m wondering if they actually greased mine when they did the 10 hour service. I bought the boat from them right after the 10hr had been done.

@Bottom Bracket have you done your 10 hour service there and did they say they didn’t grease it?

Yep, I had the 10hr and the Bracket on the steering recall done.
My 10 hr inspection consisted of a compression check, plugs were good so same plugs went back in.
impeller gap measurement, intermediate bearing inspection and a check list of safety stuff.I spoke with the Service Manager regarding the Intermediate bearing. it's fine.
If you are concerned get a thermo gun and take a temp reading every once in a while.
And yes my rig has a hose with a zerk fitting in the end.
Dealer billed me 2.3 hours labor, parts and materials. the total was reasonable, detailed receipt and noted that the recall was completed.
We are happy with Complete Marine, they do a ton of jet boats, bass boats and I have seen a few Rocky Point rigs in there.

Back