• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Amp wiring +

FX195

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Installing single amp, single battery & battery switch. Do I run positive amp cable directly to battery or to battery switch?

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I’d go to battery directly.

watdog

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I know I am in the minority here, but I will sacrifice a little audio to insure when I turn the switch off everything is off. I don't own one of the upper-end Yamahas that come equiped with amps but I bet when you cut the battery switch off the amps turn off.

FX195

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wired directly to battery, even if I leave radio on battery switch turns off amp via remote wire from radio, so I think I will be ok. Thanks for the replies guys

FX195

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I replaced 24 series battery with a 31 series agm with 200 rc. I mostly will listen to radio at half or below. I keep a U1 small battery & jump pack on board at all times. I do have a dual battery switch & start battery is fairly new. If I have issues the first few times out, I will install the 2nd battery

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Installing single amp, single battery & battery switch. Do I run positive amp cable directly to battery or to battery switch?
Direct to battery with a suitable fuse in line to protect your boat. Once the radio turns off, the remote wire will tell the amp to shut down. The amp draws virtually no current when powered down - just enough to sense a remote on signal. Your battery will lose more juice from electron loss just sitting idle in the driveway than it will from the amp powered off.

This is how I wired my 500w JL Audio amp and the remote-off is virtually non-existent drain. It can sit all week and I don't notice any drain when I turn the batteries back on for the weekend. Also since the radio tells the amp to power up, you won't get a sharp pop from the speakers when the radio turns on as the amp will power up a second or two later. If you don'[t wire like this, there's a good chance the amp will power up as soon as the switch is turned on, and you may get a loud pop which can bottom the voice-coils in the speakers causing damage resulting in poor sound quality.