• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

And then there were three…<Star Trek>

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Sad news today of the passing oh Michelle Nichols who played Uhura for decades on Star Trek, she was 89.

I believe her passing leaves George Takei-Sulu, Walter Koenig-Checkov, and William Shatner-Kirk left from the original cast.

I‘ve enjoyed Star Trek from the time I was little through today…my favorite episodes are The Tholian Web and The Changeling. As with all good sci-fi, Star Trek made many statements about contemporary issues, and had several firsts, such as the first interracial kiss on television between Kirk and Uhura. War and other hot topics of the day were also part of the show. A little known fact was that Lucille Ball saved the show from one of its first cancellations.

I am a huge Star Trek fan. All things Star Trek. Only reason I have a Paramount Subscription!

Nichelle Nichols was fantastic, and a Star Trek Icon.

Last edited:
I was saddened by this too. I think I’ve seen all the Star Trek series/episodes at least half a dozen times. Except the animated ones. Can’t get into them.

I was saddened by this too. I think I’ve seen all the Star Trek series/episodes at least half a dozen times. Except the animated ones. Can’t get into them.

I watched the cartoons as well..they were a minor bit for me and I don’t think the original cartoons were on for very long.

What’s interesting is watching some of the original episodes today, a bit of a different perspective from when I was a kid. I’ve also read most of the books…my favorites are by DC Fontana who also wrote several of the shows episodes, and was a woman.

Another fun fact, Rodenberry (sp?) adapted the deceleration tubes from Forbidden Planet into the transporter that is iconic to Star Trek.

Just looked up Forbidden Planet. Looks interesting. Is it worth watching?

I think so! It’s one of my three favorite movies… it was made in the early 50’s and you need to watch it through those lenses.. Its pretty deep. What a trip to see Leslie Neilson in a serious role! Again keeping in mind the vintage of the movie, the special effects must have been mind blowing at the time. It was also the first movie to have electronic sound effects.

I watched this movie for the first time as a pretty young guy…I had nightmares for weeks! LOL!

Lol. I’ll make sure I don’t watch it alone! I’m curious, are your other two favorites also sci-fi?

My three all time favorites are:
Forbidden Planet
The Day the Earth Stood Still- the original
Ice Station Zebra

So yes, one is another sci fi but the other, if you haven’t seen it is more of an action movie, albeit a bit more heady than say The Expendables.

One of my favorite scenes in The Day the Earth Stood Still is when the radio newsman is interviewing the crowd and he says to Klatu / Mr. Carpenter, I suppose you are just as scared as the rest of us.. Mr. Carpenter responds, yes I am, but perhaps for a different reason, I am fearful when I see people not using fear instead of reason, or something like that, the newsman promptly walks away… funny how that is the same today.

Cool. I read the book Ice Station Zebra by Alistair Maclean. I remember it being excellent and I read all his books as a result.

Sad news today of the passing oh Michelle Nichols who played Uhura for decades on Star Trek, she was 89.

I believe her passing leaves George Takei-Sulu, Walter Koenig-Checkov, and William Shatner-Kirk left from the original cast.

I‘ve enjoyed Star Trek from the time I was little through today…my favorite episodes are The Tholian Web and The Changeling. As with all good sci-fi, Star Trek made many statements about contemporary issues, and had several firsts, such as the first interracial kiss on television between Kirk and Uhura. War and other hot topics of the day were also part of the show. A little known fact was that Lucille Ball saved the show from one of its first cancellations.
The next generation was very good but the ones that followed were not. I have started watching the new one with Capt. Pike. It's caught my interest. I've like all the movies.

Nichelle Nichols was an amazing person. There's a great documentary about how she changed NASA in 1977 by helping them recruit women and minorities. It's called "Woman in Motion" and it's on Paramount +.

@scokill, have you watched the series Enterprise? I didn't follow it when it was new, but I watched the whole series while I was stuck at home during the pandemic. It's very well done and the final season is all multi-part episodes.

Cool. I read the book Ice Station Zebra by Alistair Maclean. I remember it being excellent and I read all his books as a result.

I believe Rock Hudson is the main character, Ernest Borgnine, Jim Brown and several others you will recognize. I did not read the book and it was not until the very end that you learn who is who… old school classic movie, there is a prologue where there is a scene of the ocean and the score is playing, then an intermission-how nice, and chance to go to the bathroom and get your fix at the concession stand-, then the epilogue portion.

Its so cool when you find an author that can write well and spins a good yarn! Joshua D’allzelle is another good author.

Back