• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Another Disappointment with the Scarab Jet Boat and REC Boat Holdings

Ron@Scarab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I'm thinking these issues are with the dealer. I just had mine in for an oil change and came with two other gripes.

1. The bow stop of the trailer was not rounded down and caused two big gouges (5" long) on the bow of my boat when putting it on the trailer. The weight of the boat caused the roller to collapse and gouged the boat. Scarab Warranty covered at a cost of $850.
2. Shifting into forward was intermittently difficult. Found tie rod to be bad and replaced. Rotax Warranty for $206.51

I was pleasantly surprised that #1 would even be considered a warranty repair, but my dealer said that there was no issue getting the repair done under warranty due to the bad design of the trailer. Shout out to North Texas Marine in Fort Worth.

Glad to hear!!! The trailers are covered for one year in general bumper to bumper. Glad to see they went the extra mile for you! Cheers!

Pirana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
@FlyNavy76 Good looking pic! Is that at Possum Kingdom?

Pirana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length

PapaBear

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
What causes cylinder head corrosion... How do you know you have these problems...
Oh and I'm taking my boat out tomorrow night and all day Thursday... What do you think the chances are it runs correctly? I'm thinking 35%

Ron@Scarab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
View attachment 53259 View attachment 53260 View attachment 53261 View attachment 53259 View attachment 53260 View attachment 53261 View attachment 53259 View attachment 53260 View attachment 53261 View attachment 53259 View attachment 53260

The User 9 out of 10X! Lack of flushing, running in shallow water, causes build ups in the cooling ports of the exhaust and cylinder cooling jackets. See pics from below. Those are from a Yamaha 4-stroke engine from a Yamaha Jetboat. It also happens a lot to PWC owners since they can be more reckless and negligent in their maintenance.

Attachments

Last edited:

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The Scarabs are less susceptive to cylinder corrosion due to its closed loop operation. As long as there hasn't been any intrusion of water coming from the exhaust, you should be good to go. As I have covered several times in the past, fogging a Rotax engine isnt recommended unless you are letting the watercraft sit over 12 months which rarely happens.

I hope everything works out for you, and you can finally enjoy your boat man. I still remember that call before you purchased it. Seems like it has been years.

What causes cylinder head corrosion... How do you know you have these problems...
Oh and I'm taking my boat out tomorrow night and all day Thursday... What do you think the chances are it runs correctly? I'm thinking 35%

PapaBear

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
The Scarabs are less susceptive to cylinder corrosion due to its closed loop operation. As long as there hasn't been any intrusion of water coming from the exhaust, you should be good to go. As I have covered several times in the past, fogging a Rotax engine isnt recommended unless you are letting the watercraft sit over 12 months which rarely happens.

I hope everything works out for you, and you can finally enjoy your boat man. I still remember that call before you purchased it. Seems like it has been years.
I know right... Ya I have pretty much had a life time of trouble with this thing. Hope it goes well tonight. Oh I gotta replace my radio again... 3 Rd one.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@PapaBear , 3rd radio on a 2015? What brand is the OEM stereo and what did you install after that point? Remind me, where do you service your boat? What's the name of the dealer?

PapaBear

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
It's the Sony one... This is the last one I got. The warranty replaced it but I never put it in. Crazy thing is I store this boat inside, air-conditioned. This radio I put in I think July or August.
Oh and I ran boat last night all went good but another led speaker failed... AGAIN...
Always with MarineMax... Orlando
Riva Motorsports KeyLargo

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@PapaBear The Sony that they install in these older boats with the silver face is garbage. I installed a true Marine Sony, and I haven't had an issue. I will be upgrading to a Fusion soon.

PapaBear

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I was looking at that also. I think once this one Shits the bed I will buy one of those.
My boat didn't break down yesterday. Still not at 14 hrs on the new motor yet so I'm not going to call it a victory just yet

PapaBear

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Well boat is going back in shop again. Remember my 14 hr limit... Well I set a new record... 16 hrs. Yep even with a new motor I caon keep it out of the shop. Boat barely started after a ride out to the island. Ran rough home with the check engine light on. And bilge had alot of water in it. More than normal. Oh the misery this thing has brought me.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well boat is going back in shop again. Remember my 14 hr limit... Well I set a new record... 16 hrs. Yep even with a new motor I caon keep it out of the shop. Boat barely started after a ride out to the island. Ran rough home with the check engine light on. And bilge had alot of water in it. More than normal. Oh the misery this thing has brought me.
Thats what I was telling you a while back. You have a carbon seal and engine alignment issue. Until they fix it, you are going to continue to have the problems.

PapaBear

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
It's a whole new motor 16 hrs ago. They have aligned it I would say 5 times with the 3 carbon seals two drive shafts and impeller section replacement about 30+ hours ago.
Two different marine max locations

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's a whole new motor 16 hrs ago. They have aligned it I would say 5 times with the 3 carbon seals two drive shafts and impeller section replacement about 30+ hours ago.
Two different marine max locations
Take that boat to Riva in Pompano. They work, and are a Scarab dealer now. They will get it right the first time since they are a very experienced Seadoo dealer.