• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Another Disappointment with the Scarab Jet Boat and REC Boat Holdings

Sean Scarab 195

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Kelp damage, what's that? Your pump sucked in some kelp and you couldn't clear it on the water so you had to get towed home? I thought you could just clear vegetation manually.

The rope damaging the boat causing it to take on water is not unique to scarab, I've read at Least one post here were the rope was tied to a cleat, the loose end got sucked into the pump and the rope dig into the fiber glass near the intake. Another Yamaha owner took on water when the rope tore out the Fiberglass that the impeller shaft pass through. It does seem rare on Yamahas relative to scarabs though.

Hopefully you have a good dealer to get you back on the water quickly and easily.

Out dropping lobster nets and floated over a kelp patty without realizing. It was dark out, no moon. Started the engine and sucked up the kelp. Fortunately, we had already caught our limit that night and were pulling our nets back up.

If there is a manual process to clear this out for a Scarab while in the water I would love to hear it. I don't think there is a clean out access on Scarabs like there may be on Yamahas. We tried going forward and reverse many times until we decided to call for a tow. When we got back (20 miles later) the boat worked fine, the kelp worked itself out.

This is also why we sucked up a rope. There are lobster all over Long Beach and Catalina you have to watch out for.

image1.PNG

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Actually the damage from rope ingestion in a Yamaha can be terrible and MUCH WORSE than in a Rotax boat (which have the sleeved shaft for at least partial protection). In a Yammie, it can result in rope wrapping around the shaft into a "cocoon" that will break not just the seal but the whole fiberglass tunnel/liner (this is hard to look at!):

https://jetboaters.net/threads/jet-shaft-through-hull-blowout.3195/#post-52446

https://jetboaters.net/threads/anyone-experience-this-sucked-up-rope-cracked-fiberglass.2392/#post-37866

--
I have seen, many times, the same damage (hull breach) on Sea-doo vehicles. It's really about how long you let the motor run, rpms and rope composition and diameter.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
By clearing kelp/vegetation manually I mean getting in the water and pulling it off of the intake grate and/or out of the rear of the steering nozzle by hand. I still do this occasionally even with clean out plugs. Not something I would want to do in the open ocean, especially at night.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have seen, many times, the same damage (hull breach) on Sea-doo vehicles. It's really about how long you let the motor run, rpms and rope composition and diameter.
Yes, but the new Rotax shaft sleeve is thick and 304 stainless, not plastic like in the older SeaDoos. The sleeve won't prevent the rope from getting into the impeller, but the newer metal sleeves shouldn't break loose, and the motor will just stop.

Of course, a sleeved shaft AND a clean out plug would be awesome.

--

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
But as you stated its on the budget end of the boating spectrum and ya get what ya pay basically.
50k for Any scarab boat is just plain ridiculous. Everyone I've ever know has already sold the faulty boat. Why spend 50k on a 19ft when you can spend 50k on 24 ft from Yamaha with way better performance? Just a tought

ACrews

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You have to understand that in the marine industry that boat warranty and engine warranty are different. When there is a problem with the engine/drive train the boat manufactures will tell you to contact your local service center as it is now a brp problem. The problem sounds like the service center failed at their end. The issue is he contacted the boat manufacture instead of the engine manufacturer
I completely agree! I'm by no means knocking BRP or Scarab, I'm jus more comfortable & familiar with Yamaha. The new center console, IMO, beats the Yamaha all the way around.

That being said, just like with the Brunswick corporation, when ya have a problem, it's nice to know everything is covered under one roof w/ boat & engine.

@Slugger55, I would give them the benefit of doubt & try reaching out to them again. I do believe it's the dealer's responsibility first tho. Being that you've moved, I can see how that isn't much an option anymore, & thats where REC needs to step up to help you out lining out the correct fix.

I believe you'll have trouble with filing lemon laws in Florida being you were a resident & purchased in PA. You have a sweet boat & I best wishes getting her back in shape.

Slugger55

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Et Al, I have to report that I spent the rest of my summer and fall running the boat without any issues. I'm also getting a couple of MPH's better than I did before. So far, so good. I love my boat, but these issues can sure bring you down...

BMF JK

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
50k for Any scarab boat is just plain ridiculous. Everyone I've ever know has already sold the faulty boat. Why spend 50k on a 19ft when you can spend 50k on 24 ft from Yamaha with way better performance? Just a tought
Oh boy , here we go ... :banghead:

Irvs

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Actually the damage from rope ingestion in a Yamaha can be terrible and MUCH WORSE than in a Rotax boat (which have the sleeved shaft for at least partial protection). In a Yammie, it can result in rope wrapping around the shaft into a "cocoon" that will break not just the seal but the whole fiberglass tunnel/liner (this is hard to look at!):

https://jetboaters.net/threads/jet-shaft-through-hull-blowout.3195/#post-52446

https://jetboaters.net/threads/anyone-experience-this-sucked-up-rope-cracked-fiberglass.2392/#post-37866

--
I've ingested rope twice now with no damage on my 2015 sx192. The engine just shut off. Thankfully I had a razor blade ans was able to cut it off and unwrap it from the impeller shaft.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've ingested rope twice now with no damage on my 2015 sx192. The engine just shut off. Thankfully I had a razor blade ans was able to cut it off and unwrap it from the impeller shaft.
I'm glad you have had no problems. The damage in those quoted posts is catastrophic, but it does not take much to get microcracks in the FRP tunnel or damage the seal if the rope fills it up. I would keep an eye on that, particularly if there are any changes in how much water collects in the bilge.

--

Last edited:

Ron@Scarab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
This sounds like a case of poor experience from the store/dealer that you took it too. There is a nylon nut on the impeller shaft. You never mentioned as to why you needed a new motor either. Any time I have seen a shaft move forward (inward) toward the engine is from a broken impeller shaft. Based on the hours of your boat at that time,...that is either warranty, or a paid repair based on negligence, not saying you were at fault here either. Scarab is correct regarding the issues at hand (They will warranty anything "We the dealer" say). You need to take this up with the store that did that work. Scarab warranties are awesome and they do stand behind their boats. In addition, BRP covers the motor and drive-line for the record! In other words, all of the problems you had listed are strictly BRP, not SCARAB. Your dealer knows this. I can advise you if you'd like to reach the proper people, but first you will have to make sure you have all of your paperwork in-line.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Ron@Scarab thanks for the info, do you work at Wavetec in Ft. Myers? if so, are you in sales or the shop?

Ron@Scarab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I am in both! I have been servicing both PWC and Jet boats from Yamaha to Seadoo's for 22 years.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am in both! I have been servicing both PWC and Jet boats from Yamaha to Seadoo's for 22 years.
Heya Ron......been passing your location for years. Welcome aboard!

Ron@Scarab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
You just need the right Dealer!! There is no reason for the things you are dealing with or have had to go through.

FlyNavy76

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I'm thinking these issues are with the dealer. I just had mine in for an oil change and came with two other gripes.

1. The bow stop of the trailer was not rounded down and caused two big gouges (5" long) on the bow of my boat when putting it on the trailer. The weight of the boat caused the roller to collapse and gouged the boat. Scarab Warranty covered at a cost of $850.
2. Shifting into forward was intermittently difficult. Found tie rod to be bad and replaced. Rotax Warranty for $206.51

I was pleasantly surprised that #1 would even be considered a warranty repair, but my dealer said that there was no issue getting the repair done under warranty due to the bad design of the trailer. Shout out to North Texas Marine in Fort Worth.