• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anyone experience this? <sucked up rope cracked fiberglass>

rickd01

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sucked up a rope a few weeks ago, got it all out, (port side) went out this past weekend and started to head out past no wake zone and increase throttle and get some vibration around 4k, noticed bilge pump working hard to keep up. Lift engine cover and I have 6 inches of water in engine compartment, bilge clears out water running at 2k, open it back up to 5k, fills with water, I call dealer, they say check clean out, nope, that's not it, I pull it out of the water and head off to dealer. A quick diagnoses shows a tear in fiberglass where the shaft enters thru to engine compartment. This explains the water, but what causes the crack in the fiberglass. They couldn't say from the basic diagnoses. Any thoughts? Could a rope cause this? Anyone else experience?

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Yep, it is rare, but rope ingestion will wrap around the impeller shaft and get as tight as a bandjo string. If it gets up against the liner, it will crack it. If you ingest a rope, or anything for that matter, the minute you notice, shut it down and investigate. Sorry you have the down time for the repair, but glad you didn't do any further damage! I sucked up a rope once at a gathering, and it could have been worse, but it just cost me the dock line and 10 minutes of time...but I saw it happening and shut down asap. I can't believe how tight that rope was...if you had an arm between the boat and the rope, it would have cut it off!!!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
X3 on what Mel and Dan said....rope wraps around the shaft, and if it is long enough and fat enough, it create a mass on the shaft that gets so big that it pushes against the fiberglass in the intake. If you ran the engine until it stalled, the rope clog jambed to a halt inside the intake. It was the pressure of the rope against the intake walls that stopped the engine - which would take some force.

Other times people suck up short ropes, so not enough to create a large enough mass to hit the intake wall, OR they suck up a rope that is attached to something on the other end, and the engine stops due to the rope going taught (like @txav8r said - and actually @Murf'n'surf posted a warning recently about note getting yourself tangled in any ropes that are over board for this reason)

rickd01

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I shut it down as soon as it happened, the fiberglass actually didn't crack where the rope is bound up on the shaft, it cracked where the shaft enters the engine compartment, shaft is approx 1/2 od, the fiberglass opeping is approx 1in, so the current theory is that the shaft is bent, thus causing the fiberglass to shatter

rickd01

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Don't know yet, find out later this week

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
If it is very much, insurance may cover it less deductible.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So was the line taught when you shut the engine down? If so, my guess is the pressure on the line pulling on the shaft forced it against the fiberglass....I'd be surprised if the line could bend the shaft....but I supposed a tube line is pretty darn strong!

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I suppose it can happen easily if the motor was running at a fairly high RPM and suddenly stopped/jammed -- that energy is going to be transferred somewhere. I thought that that hole has a plastic part along with a seal? If you have time, go look at this damage and get some pics -- for all of our knowledge.

Mr. Utes

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Last week we sucked up a small diameter tow rope. Didn't realize it was sucked in before it melted into a solid plastic ball right where the impeller enters the boat. The ball spun and cracked the fiberglass which allowed the boat to start taking on water. The bilge was working overtime and insurance is now involved. Early estimated from the fiberglass repair shop are $4-5K and will require that the engine be removed for access. Cannot believe this can be caused by a little rope. Has anyone else dealt with this or know where to find one of the white plastic pieces seen in the photo?

Attachments