• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anyone ever heard of a MESA3 Tablet?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This sure looks interesting as a tablet for GPS on a boat. Floats, has a sunlight readable screen, and large battery.

Can't find costing for them anywhere. Guessing it's one of those "If you have to ask it's too much" things

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No, it must be expensive, and probably not a good tablet. And I don't think there's any need for something like that.

FYI, I just posted this a couple of days ago. More than enough for me:

Hope it helps
G-
@Gonzalo Your thread is what sent me looking in the first place actually.

I've got the Navionics app, and have been playing with it on my Pixel 2XL over the winter trying to get used to what I'm looking at and how it functions. I'm worried that the 6in screen just isn't large enough for me. So I went looking for tablets for the larger screen. I found a few that are billed as "rugged", and this MESA was one of them. Tripletek was another.

I'm starting to lean towards getting a permanent mount solution of some sort. My largest concern is getting caught out in a rainstorm and needing the GPS at the same time. We have, historically, gotten absolutely drenched at least twice a year. I mean caught in the rain like there is inches of standing water in the cockpit and everyone and everything is soaked to the bone. If I'm on relatively unknown water and need that GPS to get back to the dock, I want the tablet/screen to survive. So $600 for a rugged tablet that I can use elsewhere, or $600 for just a boat system.

I lament the benefits of both systems, and correlating them to my needs in this thread

Hard to say which way I'll go there (you'll find lots of indecision in large purchases in my posts :D :D).

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Have you reviewed the Armor-X case? They are pretty solid. That way you are not locked into a rugged series which usually are heavy and bit behind the most current specs available. I have seen these and I am planning on getting one for the exact same application and reasons you are. They also have the X-Mount system as well.

Whats cool, is that I could mount it on the dash, but also with that mounting system it could attach to grab rail if I decide I want be up there fishing or whatever. Also If we are in the water I could just disconnect it and mount it toward the back and swivel it around so I can see whatever I need, including weather charts.

Google Pixel Phone Waterproof Case, Shockproof Case + Integrated X-Mount (armor-x.com)

Samsung Galaxy Tablet All Models waterproof case | Shockproof & Secure Mounts (armor-x.com)

Last edited:

Gonzalo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Regarding size ... I found 8" is the perfect size for me.
Before buying my tablet, I tried how a 10 inch would look , and it's definitely too big. A 6" phone might work, but it's probably a bit small for me. And besides this, the Navionics app will run in phone mode and not in tablet mode.

rugged series which usually are heavy and bit behind the most current specs available.
This is correct. Rugged tablets are usually not up to the latest specs and good with OS upgrades. And you are limiting your options. I agree it's much better to use a good tablet and a good case.

I chose just to use that TPU protector which is not really a case. If it get's damaged , so be it. It's only $140 and won't last forever anyway. And, I always have the Navionics app in my cell phone as a backup, in case anything happens to my tablet.

By the way, I decided to use the suction cup mount because I did not want to drill any holes on the boat. And it really works well. If you want a permanent mount, then RAM also has the equivalent part to mount it with screws.

Gonza

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Have you reviewed the Armor-X case? They are pretty solid. That way you are not locked into a rugged series which usually are heavy and bit behind the most current specs available. I have seen these and I am planning on getting one for the exact same application and reasons you are. They also have the X-Mount system as well.

Whats cool, is that I could mount it on the dash, but also with that mounting system it could attach to grab rail if I decide I want be up there fishing or whatever. Also If we are in the water I could just disconnect it and mount it toward the back and swivel it around so I can see whatever I need, including weather charts.

Google Pixel Phone Waterproof Case, Shockproof Case + Integrated X-Mount (armor-x.com)

Samsung Galaxy Tablet All Models waterproof case | Shockproof & Secure Mounts (armor-x.com)
Office virus scan software is blocking that site for some reason. Not sure why.

Scanned quickly on the phone. Looks like a decent case, but I'm not seeing how it's even a little waterproof. Screen brightness in direct sun, and water resistance are my biggest concerns with using a tablet/phone solution.

Found this video. It explains the case better than the marketing shenanigans on the Armor-X site

Edit #2

here's a good article on some waterproof cases. No idea if they have a model that fits the Lenovo Tablet though.....More researching to be done.

Last edited:

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It has an IP68 rating. I planned on exploring further when had some extra time.

Also I am totally with you on visibility in direct sun. I have a Multiple Galaxy Tabs as well as a Samsung Note 9. The Note 9 was too small for me to see where I was happy using Navionics on it. I wear reading glasses, but when driving the boat they are a pita. So I figure if I bump it up to a tablet I will be fine. Didn't want to go to a dedicated unit because I want the flexibility of the tablet, to use other things loaded on it as well as websites etc. with hotspots or integrated wireless, etc. So I am on the same journey as you. Came across the Armor-X and have seen it before with a tablet briefly.

Last edited:

Gonzalo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Visibility in the sun was my main concern, as I explained in my post. It's not perfect, but it's usable , even with sunglasses. I searched for android tablets with more nits but they are hard to find. No tablet will have the nits that a chartplotter has.

What I've been thinking for a while : Navionics should commission a tablet manufacturer to make decent a tablet for them. Very bright , and waterproof. That's all they need. It would sell like crazy in the boating community, and it would also drive sales of their app.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Gonzalo check out that Tripletek I posted above. 1200nits of brightness.

I have a Thinkpad with a 500nit screen and can easily see it in direct sun, I feel like 1200 would be plenty bright.

Has lots of great reviews from Drone pilots doing FPV flights in direct sunlight.

I've submitted a pricing request for the MESA3 to see where they are.

Gonzalo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Gonzalo check out that Tripletek I posted above. 1200nits of brightness.
Oh that thing does look good :) 6 gigs or RAM and 1200 nits is great. You don't really need 3G/LTE (the Navionics app will work without data) but OK it's good to have it anyway. Of course it's $ 600 vs $140 of the Lenovo.
Looks really interesting .

In comparison the Lenovo M8 FHD tablet has an IPS display of 350 nits. As I said...usable, but not awesome. 1200 nits would be awesome!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Oh that thing does look good :) 6 gigs or RAM and 1200 nits is great. You don't really need 3G/LTE (the Navionics app will work without data) but OK it's good to have it anyway. Of course it's $ 600 vs $140 of the Lenovo.
Looks really interesting .

In comparison the Lenovo M8 FHD tablet has an IPS display of 350 nits. As I said...usable, but not awesome. 1200 nits would be awesome!
That 350 isn't bad. My 500nit Thinkpad has only had a few times that I've needed "full brightness" and it was when I was trying to view PDF's on a jobsite. For the laptop I can usually find a "shady spot" somewhere to see. Not going to have that benefit on the boat though.

I really like the idea of a Tablet as it has more usefulness outside the boat as well as just a chart plotter. I don't like the tablet idea as it doesn't have realtime depth of the water underneath the boat, and it doesn't have a measured water temp. Both items I would like to have on the screen in the boat. those those are easily added for under $100 with a Faria gage. Just one more thing to mount though.

Gonzalo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My 2021 SX210 provides depth and temperature on the Connext screen. You don't have that on your boat?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Today I said to hell with it and went all in on a Garmin Echomap 93sv. Going to still mount one of my galaxy tabs somewhere, but I was concerned about the brightness in direct sunlight. Then as saw the prices start going up for scenario's I was working with, it made sense to go with a dedicated unit. Also since I was approaching $1,000 I may as well have down and side imaging, etc. Otherwise I figured I would be implementing a half solutions for the same price.

Now I can take any tablet and throw it on a RAM Mount somewhere so I can have full web browser as well as redundancy with the Navionics maps. Put it in a Waterproof case and if it does have issues I am not out a bunch of money and just swap in another affordable tablet, although I have a few Galaxy tabs already. At least this was my solution.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My 2021 SX210 provides depth and temperature on the Connext screen. You don't have that on your boat?
IMO, the depth gauge is not reliable long-term. I have no idea if it's the way they set them up, the equipment they use, or the software. Looking across the forums, it isn't consistently consistent. I have no idea on the temp gauge, but depth...look for yourself, you'll see what I'm talking about. I've got depth and temp, and I don't trust either of them.

I'm good with the depth on the Navionics app for the water I boat on, no experience with strange waters utilizing the app, but there's a comfort level that's acceptable for me. Each person has their reasons for wanting something better, or believing they've already got a solid plan.

I will say that if I believe if you've got a 19', a 10" tablet is going to feel like a 55" flat screen TV in your bathroom. I've got a 21', and tried my old 7" tablet. To me, it was too small. An 8" MAY have worked to my satisfaction, but the 10" Samsung Tablet works fine for me, and it doesn't feel too large to my tired old eyes. The nice thing about a 10" tablet is that you can turn it sideways (landscape mode), and it'll fit nicely above the dash and protected by the windshield. I've got it in a Unicorn Beetle case with a glass screen protector, and it works great. I haven't been caught in a downpour, but I have been rained on pretty well, and the tablet survives to this day, unscathed. As for heat issues, while I'm in motion, it doesn't seem to be an issue, and when we come to a stop, throwing a towel or shirt over the windshield should be enough to stave off heat-related issues. Throwing it in a lighter colored case could help the situation as well.

I just can't stand the fact that the boating-specific solutions like the Garmins are so dang expensive. There's a disconnect in my mind as to why it's somehow worth 3-5X the cost of my redneck solution (which is still spendy enough!). Seems like they could make a fortune selling something similar to the tablet without all the fancy stuff thrown in that the non-fisherman either isn't going to need on the regular, or doesn't want the added options.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nope. 2017 AR190. No connext screen. No depth gauge. No water temp.

This boat is about as simple/basic as it gets. All manual, and non electronic everything. Kinda like it that way aside from just a few missing things like temp/depth.

Gonzalo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nope. 2017 AR190. No connext screen. No depth gauge. No water temp.

This boat is about as simple/basic as it gets. All manual, and non electronic everything. Kinda like it that way aside from just a few missing things like temp/depth.
Oh... I see now. So yes, using only a tablet won't help with that.

Regarding size... I think an 8 inch tablet is the perfect size. Bigger than that, it's too big.