• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

AR230 2007 vs newer model years

SSPK2015

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have been looking at a 2015 AR190 but the price is out of my range right now. I would also really prefer a 21-24' boat. I see 2007 AR230's in my price range and I was wondering if someone can help by explaining any features not availalbe on a 2007 that comes on the new models? Thanks in advance for any advise.

Last edited:

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I guess it depends on what model years you're comparing to. The 24 foot 15's are mostly new. New hull design with keel down the center and articulating keel for steering, MUCH less noise, connext touch screen, new towers, more room, more storage, hinged seats, dual batteries standard, new Polk head unit plus more I'm sure I'm forgetting. I've been waiting for a while to get a new boat but with all the new stuff on these I had to get one.

SSPK2015

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I guess it depends on what model years you're comparing to. The 24 foot 15's are mostly new. New hull design with keel down the center and articulating keel for steering, MUCH less noise, connext touch screen, new towers, more room, more storage, hinged seats, dual batteries standard, new Polk head unit plus more I'm sure I'm forgetting. I've been waiting for a while to get a new boat but with all the new stuff on these I had to get one.
Thanks for the reply with helpful information. I would like the boat this season but I need to find a deal and that probably means giving up some options/features. Thanks again and that is a GREAT looking AR240!

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Are you looking at a 2004 or a 2007?

We have a 2007. We added lots of upgrades and a fridge. We decided to upgrade our 2007 instead of buying a 2014 242 and feel that it is better suited to our needs than a 2014 242 would be. The primary difference in the late 230 line (2007+) and 240s is a 6" longer hull that in my opinion does not handle rough water was well and the 1.8 engines.

On 230s I would try to stick to examples with HO engines if they are before 2007. The HO engines are an improvement in fuel efficiency and power.

The 1.8s in a 240 provide similar performance and fuel efficiency to the MR1 HO in the 230s with a lower pitched sound.

The 2015 240s are a huge improvement over the previous 240s.

SSPK2015

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks Bruce. The last model I seriously looked at was a 2007 AR230 with the HO engines. I need to contact the seller to see if they are still interested. I wasn't sure if that model had the no-wake mode.

Can you share the other upgrades you made?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The 2007 AR230 has a single speed no wake mode.

Any 230 is a much larger and more capable boat than the 190/192 series. The 190 series has a single engine. The larger 230 has twin engines and handles near capacity loads much better than a 190/192.

Here is a list of upgrades from a previous thread; A 30 can Refrigerator, A Magma Grill mounted on the Bow, Ray Marine Dragonfly for navigation and fish finding, Fulton F2 Winch, Fulton F2 Trailer Jack, second bilge pump, swim deck cup holders, Full Custom Hydro Teak, Seasense Stainless LED Bow Light, Lectrotab Trim Tabs, Mente Marine ACS - Trim Tab Controller, Fusion IP600 head unit, six Infinity 6912M speakers, Stainless steel retained garboard drain plug, A 16 gallon fresh water shower, Dual AGM batteries, Faria battery gauge and onboard charger we will be enjoyingthe upgrades for a few years before upgrading boats.

We enjoyed her in stock form but the upgrades make her even better. We bought her with 30 hours on the engines in 2013. Even after all of these upgrades we have less invested than the cost of a 192.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I had an 2007 SX230 with an aftermarket tower, prior to my 2015 242 LS. I didn't think I would be into water sports when I bought it so opted for the SX instead of the AR. The SX230 was a great boat and I have nothing but great things to say about it. As long as the 230 has a good maintenance record, I would go for it. You will have more room, more speed, more hole shot, more storage and definitely more comfort on the water, especially when choppy. Also, I have seen a whole bunch of deals out there on used 230's.

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I bought a 2004 SX230 and have zero regrets. The only thing that would be nice is if it had the HO engines, but it's not enough of a difference to me to worry about.

I am spending my money on upgrading and making it into the boat that I want. I think I'm running out of mods that I want to do, though! I haven't spent any time on newer boats so I don't know what I'm missing, but I'm so happy with my boat I have no need to look.

You're from the North like me... I'd buy an older boat. They took their depreciation hit. My depreciation is maybe $1k/yr, if even that, at this point. If you buy a new boat, you're going to lose thousands every year and take a BIG hit the first year... and like me you'll likely only get to use it 3-4 months, tops. My brother had bought a Chapparal deck boat for $38k and ended up selling it because he didn't use it enough to justify the depreciation every year. His wife agreed with me that if he had bought a $15-18k boat, he might still have it sitting in his driveway.

SSPK2015

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I bought a 2004 SX230 and have zero regrets. The only thing that would be nice is if it had the HO engines, but it's not enough of a difference to me to worry about.

I am spending my money on upgrading and making it into the boat that I want. I think I'm running out of mods that I want to do, though! I haven't spent any time on newer boats so I don't know what I'm missing, but I'm so happy with my boat I have no need to look.

You're from the North like me... I'd buy an older boat. They took their depreciation hit. My depreciation is maybe $1k/yr, if even that, at this point. If you buy a new boat, you're going to lose thousands every year and take a BIG hit the first year... and like me you'll likely only get to use it 3-4 months, tops. My brother had bought a Chapparal deck boat for $38k and ended up selling it because he didn't use it enough to justify the depreciation every year. His wife agreed with me that if he had bought a $15-18k boat, he might still have it sitting in his driveway.
Thanks very much for sharing this info. I totally agree. As awesome as a brand new boat would be, I am really in a position where a $15k to 20k is the right price for my first boat. Thanks again.

SSPK2015

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had an 2007 SX230 with an aftermarket tower, prior to my 2015 242 LS. I didn't think I would be into water sports when I bought it so opted for the SX instead of the AR. The SX230 was a great boat and I have nothing but great things to say about it. As long as the 230 has a good maintenance record, I would go for it. You will have more room, more speed, more hole shot, more storage and definitely more comfort on the water, especially when choppy. Also, I have seen a whole bunch of deals out there on used 230's.
Thanks Please let me know if you see any deals on an AR230 anywhere in the CT/NY/NJ/PA area.

SSPK2015

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The 2007 AR230 has a single speed no wake mode.

Any 230 is a much larger and more capable boat than the 190/192 series. The 190 series has a single engine. The larger 230 has twin engines and handles near capacity loads much better than a 190/192.

Here is a list of upgrades from a previous thread; A 30 can Refrigerator, A Magma Grill mounted on the Bow, Ray Marine Dragonfly for navigation and fish finding, Fulton F2 Winch, Fulton F2 Trailer Jack, second bilge pump, swim deck cup holders, Full Custom Hydro Teak, Seasense Stainless LED Bow Light, Lectrotab Trim Tabs, Mente Marine ACS - Trim Tab Controller, Fusion IP600 head unit, six Infinity 6912M speakers, Stainless steel retained garboard drain plug, A 16 gallon fresh water shower, Dual AGM batteries, Faria battery gauge and onboard charger we will be enjoyingthe upgrades for a few years before upgrading boats.

We enjoyed her in stock form but the upgrades make her even better. We bought her with 30 hours on the engines in 2013. Even after all of these upgrades we have less invested than the cost of a 192.
Thanks Bruce. I just reviewed all of your modifications. It's great to know that I can add to a boat if it's not exactly what I wanted. All I need to do now is find a good deal on a 2007 or later AR230!