• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Audio bargain or flea market junk? (Rockville Audio)

Flea market junk or audio bargain?

• Total voters

Danielmailin

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length

Danielmailin

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I just finished my install over the weekend, installed 4 7 inch fusion MS-FR7022 Marine speakers with a 10" fusion subwoofer.

I'm impressed with the amp, runs all 5 speakers with no problem and very loud. The amp is a 8 channel, I bridge channels 5 and 6 to run the subwoofer.

pumps and hose

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I bridged mine at first and it sounded like crap. Run my kicker 10” on one channel and sounds great.

bigblank69

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Not bad at all!!!

Can we get someone to Dyno some of these JL amps? I hear they're supposed to be underrated, which I imagine all manufactures claim, but I want to know where my $$$ is going, although so far so good, but with this kinda performance one has to think, lol
I own a amp dyno :) Rockville's do OK on the dyno, you have to use the CEA rating on them, and even then they a tad overrated. They are no very water resistant so becareful out there with them.

For JL it's safe to expect 10% higher than the RMS on the box

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So... 4 channels on my Rockville amp died. It's set up with two blocks of outputs, and one entire block is not putting anything out anymore. I'm going to try and exchange it and hope it was a fluke, otherwise I think JL is in my future. Pretty bummed because we have a big weekend coming up that we've been planning a while - hope I can get them to sort it out before then.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
So... 4 channels on my Rockville amp died. It's set up with two blocks of outputs, and one entire block is not putting anything out anymore. I'm going to try and exchange it and hope it was a fluke, otherwise I think JL is in my future. Pretty bummed because we have a big weekend coming up that we've been planning a while - hope I can get them to sort it out before then.
Bummer, Let us know how well they handle the warranty process.

(Poll added)

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So far, I'm a little frustrated just because of my unique circumstances. I got someone on the phone right away this morning and they were very nice, but they would not do an advance return (them sending me a new one, and waiting for the old one), they only do that in the first 30 days. I even offered to leave a full retail deposit to secure it, but they would not deviate from their policy.

I'll be sending my current one back for repair, but I need an amp by the weekend. Debating whether to purchase another Rockville unit and sell the repaired one when I receive it, or purchase a factory refurb JL amp, and sell the repaired one when I receive it. Have a little bit to decide so that they can ship/deliver in time.

What say the peanut gallery?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My opinion: I would cut the losses and stay away from that stuff, I do not believe your situation is unique (among the buyers of that "brand"). What if next time something bursts in flames instead of just quietly dying.

--

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So far, I'm a little frustrated just because of my unique circumstances. I got someone on the phone right away this morning and they were very nice, but they would not do an advance return (them sending me a new one, and waiting for the old one), they only do that in the first 30 days. I even offered to leave a full retail deposit to secure it, but they would not deviate from their policy.

I'll be sending my current one back for repair, but I need an amp by the weekend. Debating whether to purchase another Rockville unit and sell the repaired one when I receive it, or purchase a factory refurb JL amp, and sell the repaired one when I receive it. Have a little bit to decide so that they can ship/deliver in time.

I was hopeful these would be good. My assumption is their price point comes from cutting out distributor middle men and almost no marketing. There is not much getting around the cost of a quality chassis with good board to chassis heat sink and good components that are not pushed too hard to get a rating. Have said it before and will say it again.... Super impressed with the power of size from JL and there is no disputing their marine quality. It takes time to swap amps not to mention downtime being awful so probably worth the money to go JL and be done.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
My opinion: I would cut the losses and stay away from that stuff, I do not believe your situation is unique (among the buyers of that "brand"). What if next time something bursts in flames instead of just quietly dying.

--
I just found out in another thread that people are going to start randomly falling overboard on my boat. (Pre 2005 Yamaha boat problem) Now I have to worry about my amp spontaneously combusting?!?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just found out in another thread that people are going to start randomly falling overboard on my boat. (Pre 2005 Yamaha boat problem) Now I have to worry about my amp spontaneously combusting?!?
heh...?

@seanmclean - my post was a simple opinion to buy well reviewed and tested components.
But I do think there is more to quality power supply than a multimeter or a dyno can read.

As a side note, I was buying a cordless trimmer recently and read a few things on batteries and power supplies that was pretty eye opening. Turns out there is way more to the electric current than voltage/amperage... lol.
https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2018/6/5/17373314/electricity-technology-efficiency-software-waste-3dfs

--

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Much to my chagrin, I went with the factory refurb JL (on the bright side, was a very good price). It's got a 30 day no questions asked return policy, so I'll wait to see if I'm impressed by it after I get it installed and tuned on Wednesday night. I'll be curious to see what Rockville says the issue was, or if they just send me a new one (which will annoy me since I offered to prepay the full cost of an amp to get them to do that up front).

I'm still of the mind that the Rockville is a decent device, it worked great and sounded fantastic right up until it didn't. Hopefully for other's sake, it was just a lemon.

Edit: To be clear, I suppose my gripe is more with the retailer (AudioSavings) than Rockville at the moment.

Last edited:

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
heh...?

@seanmclean - my post was a simple opinion to buy well reviewed and tested components.
But I do think there is more to quality power supply than a multimeter or a dyno can read.

As a side note, I was buying a cordless trimmer recently and read a few things on batteries and power supplies that was pretty eye opening. Turns out there is way more to the electric current than voltage/amperage... lol.
https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2018/6/5/17373314/electricity-technology-efficiency-software-waste-3dfs

--
I went down the battery yard equipment path last year when I moved. My opinion is buy top end of the EGO brand or buy gas. I have their top end non self propelled mower, top end straight shaft (motor on end of shaft) string trimmer, and top end handheld blower, along with a small and mid size batteries and two chargers. One year later all I have to say is wow they are awesome. Most expensive in each category but plenty of power and juice to get the job done.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I was hopeful these would be good. My assumption is their price point comes from cutting out distributor middle men and almost no marketing. There is not much getting around the cost of a quality chassis with good board to chassis heat sink and good components that are not pushed too hard to get a rating. Have said it before and will say it again.... Super impressed with the power of size from JL and there is no disputing their marine quality. It takes time to swap amps not to mention downtime being awful so probably worth the money to go JL and be done.
No offense to those that want to buy the best (or spend the most) but a JL amp would cost more then I have in my whole system. And for that matter some have more into their system then I have into my boat...I was looking for a cheap serviceable option... obviously @seanmclean ‘s failure is not a good sign but things break. Which I suppose is why JL has factory refurbs available. Hopefully this doesn’t become a common problem and my boat spontaneously combust.

heh...?

--
I know, right?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I went down the battery yard equipment path last year when I moved. My opinion is buy top end of the EGO brand or buy gas. I have their top end non self propelled mower, top end straight shaft (motor on end of shaft) string trimmer, and top end handheld blower, along with a small and mid size batteries and two chargers. One year later all I have to say is wow they are awesome. Most expensive in each category but plenty of power and juice to get the job done.
Funny you would say that...! lol
upload_2018-6-11_21-37-33.png

I over research most things purchase, especially expensive ones. I have stayed away from electric, all gas, this EGO trimmer is my first. It will not be the last! The thing is a BEAST. I bought it for my wife, I don't think she has had a chance to use it yet. My gas trimmer has not been used since I go this thing. Amazing tech.

--

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Funny you would say that...! lol
View attachment 76466

I over research most things purchase, especially expensive ones. I have stayed away from electric, all gas, this EGO trimmer is my first. It will not be the last! The thing is a BEAST. I bought it for my wife, I don't think she has had a chance to use it yet. My gas trimmer has not been used since I go this thing. Amazing tech.

--
Next you will need the 575 cfm EGO blower. Watch any youtube of that thing and it bests all challengers including high quality gas models.

Back to the Rockville amp thing. I don’t have to have the best but I do have to have what will get the job done and keep getting the job done. I am the one that imposed a $1k budget on round one of my audio upgrades trying to save money but I refused to skimp on amps or wire ...especially wire.

Perhaps this was just a fluke but I have seen budget stereo components from pyle, boss, etc not last a year and quality brand components still working in old boats and cars. I have never seen an amp catch fire. I have seen wire melt and amps smoke that could have caused a fire if not attended to. I was one of those young idoits that slammed a giant sub and giant amp in the back of my sports car with a bargain wiring kit. Wire casing melted into the carpet, smoke filled the cabin, and the fuse finally popped when the now bare wire connected with sheet metal in the trunk. True story.

I don’t think the Rockville amps will start a fire if properly installed but I do question reliability in the heat and note the possibility of them or any amp smoking if a component melts down.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As long as i get my boat working I'll have the rockville amp torture test in 120f temps. If it passes, I'll be buying one for my side by side, and maybe for other vehicles too. I had a pos Jensen and in a boat for years. No issues. I think China crap is really coming up. I bet jl amps are made there too, probably in the same factory!

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
As long as i get my boat working I'll have the rockville amp torture test in 120f temps. If it passes, I'll be buying one for my side by side, and maybe for other vehicles too. I had a pos Jensen and in a boat for years. No issues. I think China crap is really coming up. I bet jl amps are made there too, probably in the same factory!
No doubt that the JL boards and chassis are made in that region for the cost benefit although I doubt in the same factory. Lots of factories in that region with pick and place machines assembling common off the shelf components on to boards. I agree that the quality is coming up from that region as higher end factories sell off their equipment when they retool and new factories come online. I am looking foward to the torture test and am still hopeful that just a fluke.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You can't move most manufacturing equipment to China, you need to provide plans so they can build it . Then you give them all your critical specs. By that night all the local factories are pumping out x with their brand name.