• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

battery calculator

Equalization is the process in which the charger tries to bring the battery back to its new state. It applies high controlled voltages to the batteries to knock off sulfate from the batteries. This needs to be done about 3 times a year depending on use. I do it about 4 to 5 times a year. It's great for keeping the batteries at tip notch shape.

Last edited:

I used tot think that too @Jgorm. I've spent numerous conversations with battery experts in regards to this. I just can't wrap my head around why 6v beats 12v. But like everyone else I thought that about the AH vs AH on those batteries. 100Ah 6v will beat 100Ah 12v in real time. Like everyone else I thought either same of 12v will last longer because of more cells. I don't know the technicality of it all but 12v does not. From my understanding of the conversations with the experts, the 6v cells don't have to work as hard or something or collect as much sulfate on their posts. See I can't even explain it. It's very weird to me. I so thought 12v was always the best but constantly proven wrong. Now I have found that 12v is almost a waste of money. There is big reason they use such batteries in golf carts and RVs. They need the capability to deep cycle often too and 6v do better doing that too.

The greatest advantage of it all from my understanding is, you can discharge 6v batteries lower then you can with 12v. 6v handle low discharges better.

The greatest advantage of it all from my understanding is, you can discharge 6v batteries lower then you can with 12v. 6v handle low discharges better.
This is true, but it might only buy you a couple extra discharge cycles before they die. Keep them over 50% and there is no advantage.
I used tot think that too @Jgorm. I've spent numerous conversations with battery experts in regards to this. I just can't wrap my head around why 6v beats 12v. But like everyone else I thought that about the AH vs AH on those batteries. 100Ah 6v will beat 100Ah 12v in real time. Like everyone else I thought either same of 12v will last longer because of more cells. I don't know the technicality of it all but 12v does not. From my understanding of the conversations with the experts, the 6v cells don't have to work as hard or something or collect as much sulfate on their posts. See I can't even explain it. It's very weird to me. I so thought 12v was always the best but constantly proven wrong. Now I have found that 12v is almost a waste of money. There is big reason they use such batteries in golf carts and RVs. They need the capability to deep cycle often too and 6v do better doing that too.
I'll need multiple independent sources before I'll say 6v ah are different than 12v ah. The ah is a well defined and easy to measure parameter. As mentioned, my tri metric battery analyzer including logging ah used, and over 5 years (ea) of data analysis says there is no difference. Down in socal 6v cost more than 12v for the same capacity. The 12v agm deep cycle is they best for capacity and ease of use. "Marine" batteries are a gimmick. If you go lead acid, be religious about topping off and check the specific gravity at least once a year. If you might leave your boat on a charger, unattended for >1 month, with temps over 90f, go agm.

You probably right about all that. But nothing is better than real trails. My last boat had big system and I promise with 4 12v batteries close to 420ah will not touch the play time I get now. From experience with both 12v is a waste for me! Not many folks I know can play all day 3/4 volume or more on 12v batteries. Almost every weekend some 12v guy asks me what 12v batteries I'm using. When I say 6v they don't know what to say.

I learned a bunch after reading @FloJet post months ago on golf cart batteries. I was a disbeliever until doing some more research. My opinion is still that AGM is the way to go for a boat because and only because they are sealed. I can certainly apprecaite why others lean towards the golf cart batteries but just not for me in a boat.

Plus not all Ah are the same. Some companies do 20 hr load tests while some do 15 or 10 hour tests. So there is always a disparity. Plus some lie or fudge numbers. Kinda like Yammi engine Horsepower, No one really knows the exact. I just know my 24' has plenty of power for me. lol.

But great debate. I'm always looking for better products and more knowledge. So til I can see 12v beat 6v in real time, I just don't know.

I learned a bunch after reading @FloJet post months ago on golf cart batteries. I was a disbeliever until doing some more research. My opinion is still that AGM is the way to go for a boat because and only because they are sealed. I can certainly apprecaite why others lean towards the golf cart batteries but just not for me in a boat.

Haha I agree. If I had more budget for batteries, AGM is my choice as I don't ever want to worry about them. But for the budget and what I'm trying to achieve 6v is my route, my system has never died out on us the whole day on the water. I'm sure others with AGM or other 12v batteries can achieve this too. Just all depends on everyone's budget. One reason I love this forum. Many ways to skin a CAT.

So Wetsounds or JL?

:bag:

If budget were not a concern I would have lithium batteries in my boat which would be lighter weight and allow for a deeper discharge.

But back in the real world I ask myself will I enjoy those extra amps or other activities with those dollars more.

Those are retirement type of batteries lol

6v is not double capacity when series. But look at this 2 6v batteries in series paralleled can give you 235 amp hours. I have 2 sets of that. To equal that you will need 2 12v batteries that are rated at 115 amp hours or so to have the same amp hours. In real time those 2 12v batteries will die out way quicker than the 2 6v batteries. Plus you can deep cycle a 6v battery more than a 12v battery due to less cells.

I've tried many other ways and there is no other way better. They may take up more room but you get more play time. I have high power equipment playing all day and my batteries do not even flinch. I Usually start the day out at 12.5-12.4 volts and always leave with about 12.3-12.2 volts reading at the end of the day. You will not get that out of any 12v battery banks that has 4 batteries compared to my 4 6v batteries which gives me 470 amp hours.

I know boats that run $40k stereo equipment that will not spend time and day with 12v systems. It always tickle me when the 12v guys are sitting at the cove with batteries drain, while we jamming hard all day.

I've been runing 3 pairs of 6 volt Costco golf cart batteries on my 6000 watt system for years. They last all day in the cove and recharge over night. I still have a 12 volt for my boat though (isolated)

I bought 2, 6volt batteries, and wired them in series. The amps WILL NOT power-up. i can't figure it out. Been experimenting for two hours. no idea whats going on. Any chance the batteries are dead? weird. The "remote line" is still ran from the head-unit, which is powered by the 12-volt battery. Does the remote line have to be powered by the same batteries at the amps? That doesn't make since. I've tried everything. new cables on both sides, triple-checked the connection to wire batteries in series, etc etc etc etc. I'm gonna mess with it for a few more hours tonight and see if I can get it going. I VERY MUCH appreciate all the support on here thus far. thanks all

Is the negative of the 12v tied to the negative end of your 6V? If not, there is no common connection between the HU and the amp.

I bought 2, 6volt batteries, and wired them in series. The amps WILL NOT power-up. i can't figure it out. Been experimenting for two hours. no idea whats going on. Any chance the batteries are dead? weird. The "remote line" is still ran from the head-unit, which is powered by the 12-volt battery. Does the remote line have to be powered by the same batteries at the amps? That doesn't make since. I've tried everything. new cables on both sides, triple-checked the connection to wire batteries in series, etc etc etc etc. I'm gonna mess with it for a few more hours tonight and see if I can get it going. I VERY MUCH appreciate all the support on here thus far. thanks all

Do you have a multimeter? If so check the voltage.

When wired in series you run the negative of your load to the negative of battery one. Run a battery cable from the positive of battery one to the negative battery two. Run the positive of your load from the positive of battery two. When charging them on a 12 volt charger connect the charger to the negative of battery one and the positive of battery two just like the load is connected.

Is the negative of the 12v tied to the negative end of your 6V? If not, there is no common connection between the HU and the amp.

Bill & Bruce: u guys rock. Connected the negatives from my 12v to the 6v's and now I'm rockin. Thanks so much.

Good deal

Just to put some safety lines to everyone. Make sure your connext remote wire goes to a relay that turns your amps on. This will help protect your equipment in the long run.

How are 6V batteries different? Or better? Really depends on the application.
First, they are made for a specific application. You can series 6 volt batteries and have a greater variety of increments than that of the 12 volt route. Golf carts come in different sizes. Aside from that issue, a 12 volt battery can be made to do anything that a 6 volt battery can do with equal effectiveness.
Second, batteries are made to either have more plate surface area for greater instantaneous current release, like a cranking battery, or to have less surface area as a ratio to greater plate thickness, like a deep cycle for slower and sustained discharges. Either has a trade-off to offset their advantage. A golf cart battery is simply built to more of one extreme....which happens to be more aligned with big stereos operating at rest for long durations.
There are arguments that favor AGMs, some valid, some questionable, but these discussions could go on for days.
As long as you get the required reserves, in a deep cycle version, by hook or by crook, you should be golden.

Just to put some safety lines to everyone. Make sure your connext remote wire goes to a relay that turns your amps on. This will help protect your equipment in the long run.

More info on this please?!

The polk faceless head unit is the item with the remote wire. Connect only acts as a display for this headunit. Most amps have remote turn ons built in so I am curious as to why @FloJet is recommending this.

Back