• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Battery Charge Maintenance

MikeT29

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So, despite my severe OCD and control freak nature, I am leaving my AR250 at a marina dry stacked for this summer about an hour from my home. One of my concerns is that the batteries will be sitting for 2-3 weeks at a time in some cases with no boat usage. The boat is sitting up high on the rack (has to be on top of three level rack due to tower clearance), so I don't see any way to install Noco or similar trickle charge - actually most times I'll be driving away from the marina while the boat is still in a wet slip waiting to be pulled so I have no personal control over whether the Noco would be plugged in etc. I've seen portable jump starters but not anything that you can leave attached to the battery to charge it up. The marina will jump start the boat when they put in in the water but ultimately if the charge gets run down I'm concerned that after a 15-30 minute boat ride the battery will still be low and I could get stuck.

Am I overthinking this?

When I wet slipped my boat the power was always on and the bilge pump cycled and even ran at times. The longest we went without boating was about 3 weeks and we had no battery issues. My recommendation is to go for a good cruise to recharge the batteries when you go out and make sure that everything is off when it gets put away.

Depends on how bad your ocd is :)

If it was me, I’d just turn off the battery switches and not worry. With the switches off, little can drain the battery.

I believe your boat has two batteries? If so, you can always put it in emergency mode to start the engines.

I have seen a couple of posts of solar power chargers with the solar panel mounted on top of the Bimini. You could always do that but it feels like overkill as a first intervention.

Agree. Unless you’ve upgraded your stereo (added an amp), I wouldn’t think you’ll run into any issues.

So, despite my severe OCD and control freak nature, I am leaving my AR250 at a marina dry stacked for this summer about an hour from my home. One of my concerns is that the batteries will be sitting for 2-3 weeks at a time in some cases with no boat usage. The boat is sitting up high on the rack (has to be on top of three level rack due to tower clearance), so I don't see any way to install Noco or similar trickle charge - actually most times I'll be driving away from the marina while the boat is still in a wet slip waiting to be pulled so I have no personal control over whether the Noco would be plugged in etc. I've seen portable jump starters but not anything that you can leave attached to the battery to charge it up. The marina will jump start the boat when they put in in the water but ultimately if the charge gets run down I'm concerned that after a 15-30 minute boat ride the battery will still be low and I could get stuck.

Am I overthinking this?

No, you are not overthinking this. “Luck favors those that are prepared” and ”Be prepared”- Boy Scout motto are two of my favorite sayings.

Could you go 2-3 weeks with the battery switches off with no issue? Probably as long as your batteries are in good shape, and were properly charged to begin with. Should you not go boating and or use the boat because you do not have the onboard charger and such hooked up, absolutely not.

What are you doing right now to keep your batteries in good shape? It does not sound as though you have an onboard charger, like a NOCO installed yet. Have you checked the batteries with a hydrometer? A volt meter is okay to check batteries with, but it does not tell the whole story, the best is to use the volt meter AND a hydrometer to check the specific gravity of all cells, then do an equalize charge to make all the cells match up.

And let’s be clear about something, a NOCO or MinnKota battery chargers are NOT trickle chargers, they are smart chargers that can deliver a decent bulk charge current of 10 Amps (this is the minimum charger amperage that should be used in my opinion) then back down to a lower current after reaching 80% charge to reduce electrolyte boil off, then go into a maintenance mode-no charge- until the voltage drops to 12.7 or 12.6 at which it will go through a charge cycle automatically. A trickle charger delivers a small current that stays constant and will roach your battery in the shorter term as it does not shut off.

There was another post similar to this recently and this is what that person did. They installed a NOCO genius 10A x 2 battery charger with the bulk head mounted male plug for the power cord. Then they bought one of those small LiFePO4 portable battery packs that has 120 VAC out of it.. a jackery I believe… something like this Jackery Explorer 1500 Portable Power Station

Whenever they use the boat they simply brought the battery bank along and plugged it in to the bulk head mounted plug that feeds the onboard charger when they were stopped and charged the batteries.

You should have a jump pack along with you anyway for emergencies… you may have a problem, or someone else may have a problem that you want to help.

Another variable that you did not mention is how much time you run the engines at cruising speed when you go out boating.. if you are doing some decently long transits 45 mins plus, the engines will charge up the batteries pretty well, but, and this is a big but, the engines do not have the charging capacity to properly charge the batteries since they don’t put out enough amperage for a long enough period of time. Whereas the NOCO with its charge profile will properly charge the batteries.

I like your sayings but then I looked at the cost of the Jackery. Almost $2k. Wow!

Regardless of how prepared one wants to be, totally agree with the jump pack suggestion. Which one do you have? I just have a cheap one but am considering upgrading it.

My starter battery lasted 5 seasons without issue. I replaced it despite it never failing me. As recommended in this thread, I have always turned the battery switch to the off position each time I docked the boat. Further, I have never used a trickle charger. I did install a second battery at year 3 primarily in order to reduce chance of a dead battery and requiring to tow on the lake (Finger crossed). I am not opposed to installing a trickle charger. In fact, that’s what I had planned on tackling last season. Just got distracted with life.

I like your sayings but then I looked at the cost of the Jackery. Almost $2k. Wow!

Regardless of how prepared one wants to be, totally agree with the jump pack suggestion. Which one do you have? I just have a cheap one but am considering upgrading it.

Yeah those Jackery’s are a grip! I have the anti gravity brand of jump pack..it has all sorts of goodies on it. There are a couple of usb charge ports and all kinds of adapters for other things as well as a built in flash light.

Having switched my house battery over from a group 24 lead acid battery=35 Ah @50% discharge, to a 100Ah LiFePO4 battery, and it’s low resistance/ faster charging and very low natural discharge rate I would not have any worries about not leaving my boat plugged in for long periods of time. The only thing I’d have any concern about would be the AGM start battery, but it’s single function use and natural discharge rate would be easily over come by the boats charging system. If Battle Born starts producing a group 24 heated start battery then I’ll change out the start battery.

I hate to admit how much research I have done on products like the Jackery. They are referred to as Solar Generators. As they contain a Lithium or Lithium Iron phosphate battery, that can be charged by AC, DC or Solar. They can output AC via 110, or DC via 12v, 5v and USB. There are tons of brands of solar generators, and their cost has come down dramatically since the chinese have started mass producing them.

All that being said the size of the solar generator is measured in Watt-hours. In other words, if I want to power an LCD television that is 80w, a 160wh Jackery could run it for 2 hours. That's a very light duty example of course. As a NOCO 10a smart charger may draw more like 150w or more. So a 1500wh Jackery (like the ones you talked about) would only run that charger for 10hrs. That is why it may not be the right choice for this solution, but it may be as well, as these are just numbers out of the air. It comes down to math. That's a spendy way to charge.

In my case, I bought an EcoFlow solar generator that is rated at 650wh. My fish house has 8 DC lights, 3 DC fans on the ceiling, an AC fan on the propane heater and a number of 110v LCD televisions for entertainment and fish finding electronics. With all those things lit up, I can power my fish house for a 7-8hr day. Or even more with some things shut off. I can take that Ecoflow home and get it back to 80% charge in one hour. Charge it from my SXS DC port, or throw a solar panel on the roof of the fishhouse. It's the perfect replacement for an overpriced Honda generator.

In the case of drystacking a yamaha, I would lean more on making and easy to remove battery tray, and pulling a battery to bring home and charge with a good battery charger and bringing it back when I decide to go boating. A good Noco at home would be so much more cost effective. It's all a matter of what price do you put on convenience.

Good luck all.

My hookup is similar to described earlier. Mounted a Noco 10x2 and had recently purchased a Ecoriver Pro 720wh powerbank from Costco.

My main intent is for the emergency use on the stock battery setup. I keep the boat in a storage unit and I use the ecoriver to power extra light, charge tool batteries, ect while in the unit otherwise comes in handy for tailgating and the like.

When we jump in the boat I put it under the seat by the battery switches. I tried it for the first time yesterday; pulled the boat out of the water I plugged it in and about 20min later I parked it and and looked at the Noco and both batteries were at 100% (could’ve been after 2min). I’ll end up with more use cases I’m sure once the Wisconsin waters warm up and some days spent at the sand bar but for now it’s a good piece of mind.

Had our first issue this past weekend, arrived at boat in the afternoon on Sunday and had some friends meet us there. Boat was waiting in a slip - got gear loaded up and sure enough when I went to start up there was insufficient voltage and neither engine would fire up. Starters barely turning over when I turned the key. Fortunately, I did pick up a noco jump pack after reading this thread and that got us started right up. We took a solid 45-minute ride and the batteries were fine the rest of the afternoon. We had only gone 3 weeks without using the boat.

Back